• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

carlo_b

Ah right, I do recall seeing the note on 24/48 airplay a several pages back. Kind of insane how long this thread is!

Re: Apple Music direct to WiiM (no AirPlay involved), good idea to be another squeak in the wheel. Will do that.

I will say this streamer is super easy to use and an insane value.
The only update is that WiiM Mini has not done what it promised and is waiting to receive a response from Apple regarding streaming in lossless format up to 48/24 from Music App.

I think that if the problem of sending music in lossless format via AirPlay 2 is due to the possibility that the average user may experience signal losses or interruptions due to high traffic in his local network when sending to multiple devices simultaneously then the the only easy solution for Apple would be to provide an option in Apple Music in order to make the user decide whether to disable multiroom for AirPlay 2 and therefore be able to send in lossless format to a single device at a time.

If Apple added this simple option, we could have AirPlay 2 bitperfect and, at the same time, Apple could avoid too many calls for assistance for problems related to the functioning of AirPlay and make happy all customers who still cannot send Apple Music Lossless via AirPlay 2 to the HiFi system.

Merifon

Regarding the casting on wiim from the Amazon music app, if I'm not mistaken I lost the possibility to see the playback queue of the songs, possible instead by not activating the casting. From the wiim app, on the other hand, the visibility of this queue remains possible. An annoying detail that makes amazon music unappetizing, which is not compensated enough by the use of the wiim app, which in turn lacks essential things, such as the ability to create automatic mixes consistent with the song being listened to. It seems that the ideal context between price, lossless sample rate and functionality does not exist ... I must add that if all the services had something fully comparable to Spotify connect, the wiim would not be needed, given that any device, for example a Discontinued iPhone connected to a dac, could act as a streamer, controllable from any other device on the same local network. Too bad Spotify is dull towards lossless ...

thomasward00

My firmware still hasn't updated, I've power cycled a couple of times this week and there is no update option.

thibodeaux

I just bought the Allmusic $12 subscription and it works fantastically well

It opens Amazon Music app on iPad and starts playing the album directly - bitperfectly to WiiM Mini

Great solution - who needs Roon !
I'm curious about getting Allmusic to open Amazon Music - is this a subscriber only feature, or does it only work for certain songs/albums? I only see an option to play with Pandora.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623-100504.png
    Screenshot_20220623-100504.png
    342.9 KB · Views: 66

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I'm curious about getting Allmusic to open Amazon Music - is this a subscriber only feature, or does it only work for certain songs/albums? I only see an option to play with Pandora.
Like everything else in the streaming world, it’s incomplete. Lots of albums/tracks have the Amazon Music link, lots don’t.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Regarding the casting on wiim from the Amazon music app, if I'm not mistaken I lost the possibility to see the playback queue of the songs, possible instead by not activating the casting. From the wiim app, on the other hand, the visibility of this queue remains possible. An annoying detail that makes amazon music unappetizing, which is not compensated enough by the use of the wiim app, which in turn lacks essential things, such as the ability to create automatic mixes consistent with the song being listened to. It seems that the ideal context between price, lossless sample rate and functionality does not exist ... I must add that if all the services had something fully comparable to Spotify connect, the wiim would not be needed, given that any device, for example a Discontinued iPhone connected to a dac, could act as a streamer, controllable from any other device on the same local network. Too bad Spotify is dull towards lossless ...
The play queue not being available in the Amazon music app while casting is an amazon issue, irrespective of what it’s casting to, so it’s not down to WiiM to resolve. Use the feedback in the amazon app to report it to them.

Re mixes , there are ”play similar music” and “customers also listened to” options on the three dot menu on the amazon music app now playing screen.

morillon

Major Contributor

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623-190630_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623-190630_WiiM Home.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 73

Merifon

The play queue not being available in the Amazon music app while casting is an amazon issue, irrespective of what it’s casting to, so it’s not down to WiiM to resolve. Use the feedback in the amazon app to report it to them.

Re mixes , there are ”play similar music” and “customers also listened to” options on the three dot menu on the amazon music app now playing screen.
yes,
I was aware the missing queue it was a lack of amazon music.
What I wanted to point out is that if with the wiim app it were possible to have a function like "radio from this song" or similar, the wiim app would be almost perfect or at least more practical than the original.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yes more streaming options became visible to me when I paid $12

Music1969

Major Contributor
yes,
I was aware the missing queue it was a lack of amazon music.
What I wanted to point out is that if with the wiim app it were possible to have a function like "radio from this song" or similar, the wiim app would be almost perfect or at least more practical than the original.

If you open the Alexa app while you are casting, Alexa app will show you the play queue.

But just seeing the play queue is not enough. What we really need is to be able edit the play queue (play this track next, add this track to play queue).

This is covered in my post below. I asked if everyone could send this to Amazon via feedback inside Amazon Music app.

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D56Q00009Gy5bqSAB/amazon-music-hd-casting-to-alexa-speakers-needs-4-major-improvements

Did you send this link to Amazon :)

If we all just write to each other here on ASR Amazon cannot know about it

Merifon

If you open the Alexa app while you are casting, Alexa app will show you the play queue.
i just tried playing the best of jimi hendrix with am music prime on android. If I stay on the phone itself, the queue button is selectable and the song queue is visible. I can also move individual songs and change their order.
As soon as I connect Wiim for casting, that button disappears.

Music1969

Major Contributor
i just tried playing the best of jimi hendrix with am music prime on android. If I stay on the phone itself, the queue button is selectable and the song queue is visible. I can also move individual songs and change their order.
As soon as I connect Wiim for casting, that button disappears.

Yes My previous reply is 100% about casting.

And the link I shared is all about issues with casting.

If you send that link to Amazon, maybe the right person there will read it

Bamyasi

I must add that if all the services had something fully comparable to Spotify connect...
It is called UPnP AV protocol and it supports everything including remote queue control / editing, etc. OpenHome UPnP extensions even support persistent queues and programmed playback. Unfortunately, companies prefer to reinvent the wheel and mostly come up with some odd designs, half-round/half-square and not very smooth running. I am not in the industry but I suspect companies do this to avoid paying for the UPnP licensing?

Merifon

If you send that link to Amazon, maybe the right person there will read it
I'll do...
I had confused "Alexa" with Amazon ", and actually I seem to remember that the playback queue was visible with alexa. Objectively a great confusion ...

Merifon

It is called UPnP AV protocol and it supports everything including remote queue control / editing, etc. OpenHome UPnP extensions even support persistent queues and programmed playback. Unfortunately, companies prefer to reinvent the wheel and mostly come up with some odd designs, half-round/half-square and not very smooth running. I am not in the industry but I suspect companies do this to avoid paying for the UPnP licensing?
some time ago I asked Tidal support to allow cross-checking between devices but they replied that it is not in their plans.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'll do...
I had confused "Alexa" with Amazon ", and actually I seem to remember that the playback queue was visible with alexa. Objectively a great confusion ...
Yes if you cast from Amazon Music app, then you open Alexa app, you will see the entire play queue shown inside Alexa app. That's what I wrote before

But as I wrote, seeing play queue is not interesting to me. Changing the play queue when casting is what is missing and needed

As per my post several weeks ago about 4 major issues when casting

Top Bottom