• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Music1969

Major Contributor
I've seen it
So what is there for Deezer to clarify?

Unless you mean they should call 2L and ask 'why are you supplying us and Apple, Amazon, Qobuz with MQA?' ?

The streaming services provide us with what they are supplied by labels...

As you said yourself, it's been known with Deezer for 1 year. It's not breaking news.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I have an iPhone 6s also. With recent Fw upgrades, Deezer's airplays show 44 on dac, instead of 48 as before.
So there is no reason why it shouldn't pass the lossless flow. Unluckily I ended my trial time before those enhancements. If I'm not wrong, the label "FLAC" was shown, despite the final airplay post upsampling.
Any test will be appreciated, at the moment I'm stuck with android but in the future I could change back and deezer could strike back, since I liked it's app.

So I did some testing by capture audio direct out of iPhone lightning port vs Airport Express output out.

If I tested everyone blindly with the spectrograms of Apple Music Lossy 256kbps AAC vs Apple Music Lossless 44.1kHz vs Deezer HiFi 44.1kHz :

Nobody would guess correctly.. including myself. So to me the MQA is the better bit perfect test because it would fail to light up if transcoded to lossy 256k AAC. To hack the MQA blue light is possible but needs effort. I doubt iOS has such effort in it's code..

If Deezer HiFi Airplay is being transcoded to 256kbps it should look like Lossy 256k AAC - which it does. But the problem is the 256k AAC looks pretty close to the FLAC and ALAC captures.

If somebody doesn't believe me try it. Note 256k AAC is not mp3... mp3 is more obvious on spectrogram

And yes I am zooming in at the higher frequencies because below 20kHz, they look mostly the same.

And differences above 20kHz are small and aliasing could come into play with capture.

If WiiM Home app showed incoming bitrate that might be good . You should all request it with WiiM Support

telemike

So I did some testing by capture audio direct out of iPhone lightning port vs Airport Express output out.

If I tested everyone blindly with the spectrograms of Apple Music Lossy 256kbps AAC vs Apple Music Lossless 44.1kHz vs Deezer HiFi 44.1kHz :

Nobody would guess correctly.. including myself. So to me the MQA is the better bit perfect test because it would fail to light up if transcoded to lossy 256k AAC. To hack the MQA blue light is possible but needs effort. I doubt iOS has such effort in it's code..

If Deezer HiFi Airplay is being transcoded to 256kbps it should look like Lossy 256k AAC - which it does. But the problem is the 256k AAC looks pretty close to the FLAC and ALAC captures.

If somebody doesn't believe me try it. Note 256k AAC is not mp3... mp3 is more obvious on spectrogram

And yes I am zooming in at the higher frequencies because below 20kHz, they look mostly the same.

And differences above 20kHz are small and aliasing could come into play with capture.

If WiiM Home app showed incoming bitrate that might be good . You should all request it with WiiM Support

Off topic, does the Airport Express on Airplay 2 firmware receive lossless ALAC or 256k AAC from IOS devices?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Off topic, does the Airport Express on Airplay 2 firmware receive lossless ALAC or 256k AAC from IOS devices?
Sorry I've already discussed exactly this above and don't want to repeat and annoy everyone reading the same thing over and over

AKR

Short answer is definitely not with Apple Music unless you have the original ( 1st Gen) Airport Express that only accepts Airplay 1. Unknown if Airplay 2 accepts lossless with other sources but Music 1969 plans to test it when he gets his WiiM.
I suspect Airplay 2 will not transmit any audio stream from an IOS or Android device losslessly.
This is entirely an Apple issue not WiiM.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Attempted to mount the WiiM Mini via USB. It doesn't want to play ball; reports, then disconnects immediately.

Code:
[853505.384358] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[853505.485168] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=18d1, idProduct=4e26, bcdDevice= 4.09
[853505.485184] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[853505.485197] usb 1-1.2: Product: A97L
[853505.485209] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Linkplay
[853505.485221] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 0c00xxxxxx
[853506.440332] usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 6

Reports that it's using the Linkplay A97L module, although that module isn't documented to support 5GHz WiFi. Odd.

Last edited:

Witterings

Attempted to mount the WiiM Mini via USB. It doesn't want to play, reports, then disconnects immediately.

Code:
[853505.384358] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[853505.485168] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=18d1, idProduct=4e26, bcdDevice= 4.09
[853505.485184] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[853505.485197] usb 1-1.2: Product: A97L
[853505.485209] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Linkplay
[853505.485221] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 0c00xxxxxx
[853506.440332] usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 6

Reports that it's using the Linkplay A97L module, although that module isn't documented to support 5GHz WiFi. Odd.

I'm not sure why but mine wouldn't power on plugged into a USB on a computer, as soon as I got a wall socket phone charger it was fine, maybe give that a try 1st.

Made me wonder if a computer USB didn't deliver enough power but I find that hard to believe, especially if it's USB 3.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
It powers up fine from both my ChromeBox and my Pi 4 via their USB ports. I'm guessing it looks for some special handshake that WiiM uses from their test rig. If not found, it shuts the USB interface off.

Last edited:

Witterings

It powers up fine from both my ChromeBox and my Pi 4 via their USB ports. I'm guessing it looks for some special handshake that WiiM uses from their test rig. If not found, it shuts the USB interface off.

I've just seen Jpdelaney.tml's reply and wonder if I misunderstood what you're asking / trying to do, is it just powering it that you're having a problem with or you're trying to play music via the USB in on the WiiM?

If it's the latter as he says you can't play music via the usb input it's power only.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I've just seen Jpdelaney.tml's reply and wonder if I misunderstood what you're asking / trying to do, is it just powering it that you're having a problem with or you're trying to play music via the USB in on the WiiM?

If it's the latter as he says you can't play music via the usb input it's power only.
Not trying to play music. Trying to hack. I don't doubt WiiM has a way to communicate to the devices via the USB port, but it's secured.

The fact that the USB port responds means that it's not just for power, the data lines are also connected to the WiiM. Someone will eventually hack it.

Last edited:

diyaudnut

Why do steamers not provide an option for Digital music out through USB? Spdif/toslink seem legacy vestiges.

Steve Rogers

android
sorry the problem is known.
deezer for the moment has made no effort to allow casting the 44k16bit stream to a chromecast for example.
it's crazy..but ...

thats why i have a wiim..
otherwise a chromecast would have sufficed...
ps
btw... apart from the capacity (a little futile in my opinion) to spend more than 96k...
I find it a bit unfortunate that the hardware does not mark time on the old chromecast of 2015...
jitter in toslink..quality of analog out...
Deezer casts 44/16 to Chromecast Audio as far as i know, why do you think it does not?

morillon

Major Contributor
not with my deezer-android..
and seem , i m not alone...
:-(
(
deezer is well informed
but prefer to officially dig the karaoke function.
maybe now that they have done it, will they dig into these compatibility stories to promote the "hifi flac mode" in just about all circumstances.
as long as a rather "modest" approach remains....)

Last edited:
Top Bottom