• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
With the latest update Deezer is still broken. No response from WiiM yet. :(
I got an almost immediate response when I contacted them today thru the WiiM app, settings, FAQ&feedback, submit a ticket - I'd try using that route again if you haven't already. Unusual for them to not at least acknowledge your issue.

Jpdelaney.tml

We (CANADIANS) can all hope for the best as far as Amazon Music UHD is concerned. Other HI-Def services do not appear to be available here, Tidal and MQA not good for my SONCOZ DAC for 24Bit, 192 Khz Flac files like Amazon may provide......

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I’m not seeing the info for Spotify Connect in the WiiM app - maybe it needs an app update like when they first released that feature.

** update: WiiM support confirmed we’ll need an app update as well as the new firmware update to see the bit depth/sample rate in the WiiM app for Spotify/Tidal Connect - should arrive in a few days (to be fair, it is listed under their 5/20 update on their what's new page). They also intend to add bitrate and possibly file type to this in a few weeks time, as well as including that info for casting Amazon Music too. They’re clearly still committed to updating the unit - well done WiiM :)
Confirmed that the bit depth/sample rate data is there for Spotify Connect (and Tidal Connect), which my app displays. Not (yet) there for Amazon, or for Tidal (or anything else) via Alexa.

D

Deleted member 47859

me.. the opposite..
with last night's firmware...
I have no more problems with Deezer...
Hm, then I'll do a full reset and try again. So you do not loose your authentication after a while (library showing and flow playing strange content) and when you listen to your flow the player within the WiiM Home app shows the correct data?

AKR

I opened a ticket this way last friday. Just asked for an update.
I have twice opened tickets over the past two weeks and only received an automated response with a link that allows you to check the status. Both still say pending. Did not get any response back from WiiM. But hey, I’m fine with them spending their time on development. Very impressed with how much software support they continue to provide to this extremely inexpensive device.

AKR

Confirmed that the bit depth/sample rate data is there for Spotify Connect (and Tidal Connect), which my app displays. Not (yet) there for Amazon, or for Tidal (or anything else) via Alexa.
So the WiiM App did not need to be updated? Are you on IOS or Android?

D

Deleted member 47859

Hm, then I'll do a full reset and try again. So you do not loose your authentication after a while (library showing and flow playing strange content) and when you listen to your flow the player within the WiiM Home app shows the correct data?
Both issues still appear.

AKR

I still don’t follow how WiiM can implement “Bit perfect Airplay 2” ( by 5/31) when the AAC 256 limitation on Airplay 2 is an Apple limitation. They did not respond to my ticket on this.

thomasward00

I guess that depends on where they want to position themselves in the market, as well as their current market presence and r&d budget. It could be argued that Qobuz want to be in the audiophile market where perhaps the use of a tv as a vehicle for music isn’t a priority?
I would assume that all Video and Audio streaming would be wise to be on as many platforms as possible, also Qobuz is on Samsung TV's....
Any streaming service that caters to Audiophiles at the exclusion of the mainstream, would be bankrupt in a short time.

Brantome

Major Contributor
So the WiiM App did not need to be updated? Are you on IOS or Android?
It does need to be updated as I posted earlier from a response from WiiM. @Ralph_Cramden is taking about his own app which he developed to display the stream info.

Last edited:

AKR

According to this link, there are instances where Airplay 2 can be bit perfect.
Thanks. I have read the linked report earlier where I learned about the whole Airplay lossless streaming mess that is bizarre for a company with Apple’s resources, when they are pushing their own streaming services lossless library.
The article author states only two instances when lossless at CD quality works over Airplay - first to Airplay 1 only devices like early Airport Expresses and second from Mac OS to Airplay 2 with the “right” setting activated. So I guess you are saying that WiiM developers can theoretically either mimic Airplay 1 ( but no multi room capability) or get Airplay 2 to think a Mac is instructing it ?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Thanks. I have read the linked report earlier where I learned about the whole Airplay lossless streaming mess that is bizarre for a company with Apple’s resources, when they are pushing their own streaming services lossless library.
The article author states only two instances when lossless at CD quality works over Airplay - first to Airplay 1 only devices like early Airport Expresses and second from Mac OS to Airplay 2 with the “right” setting activated. So I guess you are saying that WiiM developers can theoretically either mimic Airplay 1 ( but no multi room capability) or get Airplay 2 to think a Mac is instructing it ?
TBH, I don’t know. I guess they could implement an “airplay 1 compatibility mode” for receipt of the track, however I don’t think they could emulate a Mac sending the track as that’s at the source end while WiiM is at the target end.

I used to think that Amazon were dragging their heels in supporting Amazon Music HD on their and third party kit, but as that article says, Apple have taken their delivery of hires audio to a whole new level of “soup sandwich“ - it’s astoundingly poor :(

AKR

TBH, I don’t know. I guess they could implement an “airplay 1 compatibility mode” for receipt of the track, however I don’t think they could emulate a Mac sending the track as that’s at the source end while WiiM is at the target end.

I used to think that Amazon were dragging their heels in supporting Amazon Music HD on their and third party kit, but as that article says, Apple have taken their delivery of hires audio to a whole new level of “soup sandwich“ - it’s astoundingly poor :(
I wonder if one streamed Apple Music lossless from a Mac to the WiiM using Airplay 2 , whether it would play lossless? I can try it but unfortunately my DAC does not show quality ( bitrate etc) that is going in.

carlo_b

@AKR and @Brantome

I knew it is the AirPlay 2 sending device that decides what kind of audio format to send to the receiving AirPlay 2 device.

Example:
REALTIME (lossless 16 / 44.1 as in the case of Qobuz App on iOS)
BUFFERED (lossy 16 / 44.1 as in the case of Apple Music App on iOS)

I received an email response from WiiM support which I report below:
———————————————————————
[CarlBernard]
I read on your site that from May 15th Wiim Mini will be able to receive up to 24/48 streaming via Airplay 2.
Does it mean that through Qobuz I can send to AirPlay 2 up to 24/48 in lossless format?
Will it also be possible via the Apple Music app?

[WiiM]
Correct, after we support up to 24/48 streaming via AirPlay 2, you can use Qobuz and Apple Music to stream up to 24/48 streaming to WiiM Mini with AirPlay 2.
———————————————————————-

I also opened a ticket which I report below:
———————————————————————
I read that the update to have AirPlay 2 bitperfect will have to wait 30 May.

In the previous announcement I had read that AirPlay could work up to 24/48 while today I read that it will be bitperfect.
Are there any differences between the two updates?

I also wanted to ask you if it will be necessary to use the Wiim Home App via iPhone to allow AirPlay to be bitperfect with Wiim Mini or it will also be possible via HomePod mini to send to WIIM Mini in bitperfect.
———————————————————————

This is my guess:
  • Apple Music App on iOS receives lossless streaming from Apple servers
  • Before iOS encodes in AAC to send via AirPlay 2, the WiiM application in iOS "captures" the streaming from the Apple Music App and sends it to the WiiM mini device (also in 24/48 format from May 15th ...).
If there is any news, I will update you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom