• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
From other site that I have seen, heos, playfi and music cast all support amazon hd. I have wiim connected on Yamaha AVR using external dac then goes to analog input on AVR. Here’s my take, using wiim and tidal connect the sound was coherent and engaging than using music cast, this maybe due to the quality of external dac. However, using amazon music on wiim app sound compressed but music cast sound fuller and more dimensional. Next week updates is important as I have both services. Is the amazon ultra can be played on wiim apps or amazon native apps on next week release?
I have Heos and it doesn’t support HD casting, just bit perfect HD and UHD playback from its own app.

i think next week’s release will be WiiM app support for lossless 16 bit HD and 24 bit UHD Amazon Music (as I have said, I dispute WiiM’s nomenclature), and we’re all waiting to see if those resolutions are capable from the Amazon Music app casting to Wiim - if they are, it’ll be the first non amazon device to do so.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There’s no better way to listen than a native apps instead of third party. Spotify would have been great but doesn’t offer loseless, tidal would have been great but need to mqa streamer/dac to utilize its full potential. Quboz doesn’t have connect like Spotify and limited to airplay or third party apps. Apple high resolution loseless can’t be used as it’s limited to airplay unless you want to connect your phone directly to dac. Amazon rely on chromecast or airplay to cast. I wish there’s service where you can cast to highest level with connect without investing on proprietary hardware like mqa.

Reactions: AKR

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
There’s no better way to listen than a native apps instead of third party. Spotify would have been great but doesn’t offer loseless, tidal would have been great but need to mqa streamer/dac to utilize its full potential. Quboz doesn’t have connect like Spotify and limited to airplay or third party apps. Apple high resolution loseless can’t be used as it’s limited to airplay unless you want to connect your phone directly to dac. Amazon rely on chromecast or airplay to cast. I wish there’s service where you can cast to highest level with connect without investing on proprietary hardware like mqa.
IMHO ain't nothing wrong with Tidal lossless without MQA. I have Qobuz , Apple, and Spotify subs but find myself sticking with Tidal with the WiiM. Really no complaints.

Smartplug

IMHO ain't nothing wrong with Tidal lossless without MQA. I have Qobuz , Apple, and Spotify subs but find myself sticking with Tidal with the WiiM. Really no complaints.
I tried all the services you have above but to my ear tidal has warm sound signature in comparison with amazon, apple and qoboz extended high which translate more clarity.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I tried all the services you have above but to my ear tidal has warm sound signature in comparison with amazon, apple and qoboz extended high which translate more clarity.
Hmm can't argue with your ear but I don't think so. Sound signature in lossless transmission of the same source is not a thing AFAIK

Brantome

Major Contributor
Amazon rely on chromecast or airplay to cast.
Amazon uses AlexaCast to cast from their music app to echos and Alexa compatible devices like Denon/Marantz/Heos, Yamaha, Sonos (and Bluesound I believe).

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
My only complaint is that, with a Tidal HiFi subscription, we're stuck with lossy when playing via Alexa voice control (AlexaCast). No idea when/if that will change - possibly with the 5/20 update, but doubtful. Otherwise, Tidal is lossless via the WiiM app and via Tidal Connect.

Brantome

Major Contributor
My only complaint is that, with a Tidal HiFi subscription, we're stuck with lossy when playing via Alexa voice control (AlexaCast). No idea when/if that will change - possibly with the 5/20 update, but doubtful. Otherwise, Tidal is lossless via the WiiM app and via Tidal Connect.

I wouldn’t term using Alexa voice control as AlexaCast - in my mind (and iirc, Amazon’s definition) AlexaCast is using tne amazon music app to redirect a stream to another echo or Alexa compatible speaker. I see the constraint there being the Alexa skill that makes third party speakers/AVRs visible to Alexa. I’m not aware of Tidal supporting anything other than its lossy tier on Alexa - as far as I‘m aware, Amazon Music is the only lossless streaming service that Alexa supports, and I don’t see the Tidal skill being impacted by whatever WiiM do.

** update - found a reference (and Tidal have since confirmed) that Tidal seems to support Hi-fi/CD quality on Alexa / echo devices after all…

Last edited:

thomasward00

Although Amazon HD is amazing, I would like to try Qobuz BUT what holds me back is they are limited in the platforms that their app is available, It's not on either LG Smart TV's or Android TV, where both Tidal and Amazon have apps on both. Any major streaming service be it Video or Audio need to be on as many major platforms as possible.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Although Amazon HD is amazing, I would like to try Qobuz BUT what holds me back is they are limited in the platforms that their app is available, It's not on either LG Smart TV's or Android TV, where both Tidal and Amazon have apps on both. Any major streaming service be it Video or Audio need to be on as many major platforms as possible.
I guess that depends on where they want to position themselves in the market, as well as their current market presence and r&d budget. It could be argued that Qobuz want to be in the audiophile market where perhaps the use of a tv as a vehicle for music isn’t a priority?

DTTOM37

Hopefully some of the (many) other vendors using the LinkPlay modules will update to the newer module in the WiiM Mini. There are some great configurations out there. I especially like the audifi streamer, with its metal box, display, and lots of I/O, but it's using the old A31 LinkPlay module (no Airplay 2). AudioEngine also makes a nice version, again with the outdated, low performance module.
This (the audifi) one looks like an Arylic S50+ pro clone, just in black, Here's the back view for comparison.

Attachments

• Arylic S50+ pro back view.jpg
    Arylic S50+ pro back view.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 75

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Just got a firmware update. Now am getting bit depth/sample rate in the UPnP metadata when playing from Tidal Connect.

I don’t have Amazon HD, so don’t know if that was added.

03FD68B6-150E-4664-9C3A-04E8FA8DEC78.jpeg

Jpdelaney.tml

Screen shot today Pixel 2 casting Amazon Ultra to mini......is the ultra faked? when not casting Amazon Ultra show 48Khz max

Attachments

• Pixel 2 cast to Mini 20220517.png
    Pixel 2 cast to Mini 20220517.png
    1 MB · Views: 88

imral3

Amazon LOSSLESS is not yet supported by the Wiim Mini. Supposed to be a beta release on 5/20.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Screen shot today Pixel 2 casting Amazon Ultra to mini......is the ultra faked? when not casting Amazon Ultra show 48Khz max
Not faked imho, that’s normal behaviour for the amazon music app - if you press the yellow badge, it’ll tell you track quality isn‘t available when casting. The 48khz is the limit imposed by your device‘s o/s unless you have an external DAC connected. Nothing to do with WiiM in my opinion

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Just got a firmware update. Now am getting bit depth/sample rate in the UPnP metadata when playing from Tidal Connect.

I don’t have Amazon HD, so don’t know if that was added.
I’m not seeing the info for Spotify Connect in the WiiM app - maybe it needs an app update like when they first released that feature.

** update: WiiM support confirmed we’ll need an app update as well as the new firmware update to see the bit depth/sample rate in the WiiM app for Spotify/Tidal Connect - should arrive in a few days (to be fair, it is listed under their 5/20 update on their what's new page). They also intend to add bitrate and possibly file type to this in a few weeks time, as well as including that info for casting Amazon Music too. They’re clearly still committed to updating the unit - well done WiiM :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 47859

With the latest update Deezer is still broken. No response from WiiM yet. :(

Top Bottom