• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
Not even sure it's 320k OGG or MP3, more likely it is 256k AAC, same as they stream to Chromecast Audio and other unsupported/uncertified devices (including web browsers). That would be Ok (you are unlikely to hear a difference between properly encoded 320k MP3 and 256k AAC) but it sounds like they are transcoding MP3 to AAC on the fly in this case and that really shows up.
Amazon describe their SD tracks as “Lossy compressed audio files…Up to 320 kbps” https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/why-hd

Brantome

Major Contributor
Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
the real-time indication of the flux could simply be put in the "wifi stasus menu"
;-)
((look th menu of "wifi- status": I never had an explanation on the fact that the sound will be smoother in 5G than 2.4G ??? if there is a technical reality, it is interesting )

Last edited:

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because lossy tracks still have a bit depth of 16 and a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, but are compressed. If they showed the bitrate as well (which has been asked for) e.g. 320Kbps or 1440kbps, that would tell you whether it was lossy or lossless.

See this or similar articles https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/07/sample-rate-bit-depth-bit-rate/
Yamaha music cast shows what type of music file being played such as flac, acc etc which give you idea if music is cd or lossy.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yamaha music cast shows what type of music file being played such as flac, acc etc which give you idea if music is cd or lossy.

As I said, they've been asked to add bitrate after they responded to an earlier request to add bit depth and sample rate which they did. If you raise a ticket thru their website requesting what Yamaha music cast shows, such as filetype, they may well respond positively to that request too.

Many of us have been focussing on what it already can currently do and requesting they enhance it in some areas, rather than just complaining about what it doesn't do compared to more mature (and more expensive) devices...

AKR

Because lossy tracks still have a bit depth of 16 and a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, but are compressed. If they showed the bitrate as well (which has been asked for) e.g. 320Kbps or 1440kbps, that would tell you whether it was lossy or lossless.

See this or similar articles https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/07/sample-rate-bit-depth-bit-rate/
So it appears both Spotify and Apple Music streaming via Spotify connect/ Airplay 2 to the Wiim mini are lossy 24/44.1 (320kpbs or equivalent) streams. So both should sound the same. However when I do an A/B comparison of the same track on those that are Apple Lossless encoded I find that the Apple Music ones are noticeably better in my setup. Now my DAC does not have a readout that shows what signal is being received but given the testing done here by members it appears both are similar and lossy. I also found that when I changed the music resolution on both Apple Music and the Wiim mini from hi lossless (24/192) output to 24/48 the sound quality appeared to improve. Does this make any sense?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Proof that the HiFi tier of Tidal plays to the WiiM via FLAC when using the Tidal app and Tidal Connect. On my router’s app, I see between 0.8 and 1.1Mbps constantly while playing. I’m good with that.

274E1C52-B2C0-418A-8510-16C3BCA972AC.png

telemike

So it appears both Spotify and Apple Music streaming via Spotify connect/ Airplay 2 to the Wiim mini are lossy 24/44.1 (320kpbs or equivalent) streams. So both should sound the same. However when I do an A/B comparison of the same track on those that are Apple Lossless encoded I find that the Apple Music ones are noticeably better in my setup. Now my DAC does not have a readout that shows what signal is being received but given the testing done here by members it appears both are similar and lossy. I also found that when I changed the music resolution on both Apple Music and the Wiim mini from hi lossless (24/192) output to 24/48 the sound quality appeared to improve. Does this make any sense?

Depends on what source each service is using and encoding

flz

I personally find Apple Music over Airplay 2 (AAC 256) connected to WiiM (with optical out to external DAC) to sound excellent. Every bit as good as redbook CDs connected to same external DAC in my system. And Tidal Lossless (HiFi) sounds the same also in my system. Haven't tried spotify.

Reactions: AKR
D

Deleted member 47859

Hi,

I am new to the WiiM Mini. Is anybody else using Deezer via the WiiM Home app? I am experiencing 2 issues:

1. After a while my authorization seems to be gone. My flow and my library come up with content that is not mine.

2. When listening to my flow the player shows the cover and info of the upcoming track and not the one being played.

Am I the only one with these issues? I contacted WiiM 2 days ago but there‘s no response yet.

BR
Michael

morillon

Major Contributor
i have many problems like yours, with deezer, since the last firmware... :-(
I don't know if the possibility of returning to the previous one...(?)
that s automatic...

D

Deleted member 47859

Hm, thanks for confirming. As Deezer is my main streaming service I‘ll stick with my Pi based system for now. I thought about replacing it with WiiM Minis because of AirPlay 2 but right now it‘s too buggy (at least the Deezer implementation). I‘ll wait for their reply.

BR
Michael

morillon

Major Contributor
I had no problems with the firmware before ...
shame...
as much as I was hoping for the flow values...which are not in the latest version

so a little lost in my case
Icône de validation par la communauté

Brantome

Major Contributor
as much as I was hoping for the flow values...which are not in the latest version

In response to a ticket I raised on their website about bitrate, they responded "I think we can add it, we will look into it and try to implement it". So, it may come soon

morillon

Major Contributor
I already asked them too.

but honestly, where I am, I prefer which now solves the big problems encountered with deezer since their last firmware...

;)...
Before I wanted to improve...
but now disappointments and worries
it's silly

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 47859

I agree. The streamer itself is great but if your main use case is Deezer I consider it broken in the current state. :(

Smartplug

In response to a ticket I raised on their website about bitrate, they responded "I think we can add it, we will look into it and try to implement it". So, it may come soon
How do you raised ticket to wiim so I can add one myself?

morillon

Major Contributor
not really...
the simple fact of being able to return initially to the previous firmware will solve the problem of my experience ...

Smartplug

The implementation of 16/44.1khz on wiim might think you are playing loseless but even Spotify shows the same thing. I think having to show bitrate plus what type of file like music cast shows flac, acc make more sense.

Top Bottom