• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Email this morning:

Hi xxx,

Thank you so much for your useful information and sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please give us a few days to investigate this issue and we'll fix it in our next release for iOS App. Please stay tuned.

Best,
WiiM Support

thomasward00

Does the LG TV app actually support Amazon HD or just Amazon Music? Does it have the same sort of stats that, say, the Amazon Music app on a fire tv stick has such as track quality, device capability and playing quality? I’m not aware of any TV supporting lossless Amazon Music HD tbh.
Since I use the Optical out from the TV into my DAC, Amazon HD plays at 16/44, but would love 24/96 from Amazon.

thomasward00

Email this morning:

Hi xxx,

Thank you so much for your useful information and sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please give us a few days to investigate this issue and we'll fix it in our next release for iOS App. Please stay tuned.

Best,
WiiM Support
Will the Wiim Mini support Amazon HD 24/96 through Toslink Optical in the future?

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I check the apps update everyday and latest firmware on their website. Amazon music hd and tidal mqa are the services I’m waiting.

thomasward00

ck the apps update everyday and latest firmware on their website. Amazon music hd and tidal mqa are the services I’m waiting.
That's sort of a min for me to purchase, otherwise I'll just stick with the TV steaming for CD quality. I would like a Bluestream Node but I'm not paying $600 bucks for that.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Since I use the Optical out from the TV into my DAC, Amazon HD plays at 16/44, but would love 24/96 from Amazon.

You’ll not get that from your TV - I spoke to my fellow admin on our Alexa FB group who works for LG and has their latest TV. It only supports lossy Amazon Music SD, even if it shows as 16/44 on your connected avr or whatever over toslink. It’s not lossless CD you’re getting. You’ll need the WiiM or something like an Amazon Fire Tv cube/stick to get lossless HD/UHD support.

thomasward00

You’ll not get that from your TV - I spoke to my fellow admin on our Alexa FB group who works for LG and has their latest TV. It only supports lossy Amazon Music SD, even if it shows as 16/44 on your connected avr or whatever over toslink. It’s not lossless CD you’re getting. You’ll need the WiiM or something like an Amazon Fire Tv cube/stick to get lossless HD/UHD support.
Hmmm, on the LG Amazon music app, it displays the file as FLAC, it shows the file, either 24/96 or 16/44 then it shows the device capability at 16/44. I also have a little Onn Android TV box that I also have Amazon music connected and sometimes I'll stream through that.

Problem with the LG smart TV app is that it doesn't allow you to globally set your resolution and always defaults to 4K and chews up a ton of data, the little Onn Android TV box from Walmart, $18 dollars allow me to set TV resolution globally for all streaming apps.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Hmmm, on the LG Amazon music app, it displays the file as FLAC, it shows the file, either 24/96 or 16/44 then it shows the device capability at 16/44. I also have a little Onn Android TV box that I also have Amazon music connected and sometimes I'll stream through that.

Problem with the LG smart TV app is that it doesn't allow you to globally set your resolution and always defaults to 4K and chews up a ton of data, the little Onn Android TV box from Walmart, $18 dollars allow me to set TV resolution globally for all streaming apps.

I (and my colleague) stand corrected then :) I wonder if hdmi ARC/eARC to your amp would deliver better than 16/44.1 - sounds strange to have the HD capability on the tv app but be constrained by what it can deliver offboard

Merifon

Other strange behavior.
Tidal hifi subscription, android wiim app.
Streaming started from search results, goes regularly "hifi".
Same stream started from wiim presets, goes "normal".
Not a big deal, since I prefer Tidal app, just to inform.
Already sent feedback.

Last edited:

tsammyc

DA17662B-1C49-4572-83F9-03029BB1E687.jpeg
ECE71646-12FA-45C5-A86F-2CB3E767003C.jpeg
WiiM’s TOSLINK supports 192KHz with the included optical cable. Here is an original 24/352.8 digital recording streamed through the WiiM at 192KHz using Audirvana

Last edited:

tsammyc

Would that work with Toslink out from Amazon HD? above CD quality.
Audivarna doesn’t support Amazon Music. WiiM is promising updates for Tidal Masters and Amazon UHD from the WiiM app, but I’m told only Qobuz works for hi res presently.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Would that work with Toslink out from Amazon HD? above CD quality.

WiiM only supports lossy Amazon Music at the moment - what used to be termed Amazon Music Unlimited or Prime Music before Amazon released their lossless Amazon Music HD service which offered lossless 16 bit HD and 24 bit UHD tracks.

The WiiM website says it'll release Amazon Music UHD support on May15th - I don't see them meeting that target, leaving aside what I think is a misnomer for the service

Pep2020

WiiM only supports lossy Amazon Music at the moment - what used to be termed Amazon Music Unlimited or Prime Music before Amazon released their lossless Amazon Music HD service which offered lossless 16 bit HD and 24 bit UHD tracks.

The WiiM website says it'll release Amazon Music UHD support on May15th - I don't see them meeting that target, leaving aside what I think is a misnomer for the service
Not sure that is correct. It supports what Amazon call HD here (https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&...&dplnkId=2a2f2a0f-5ea6-43ab-bdcb-fb7fd7caab1f) my DAC is also reporting 16 bit 44.1Khz.

It is UHD that is not supported currently

Brantome

Major Contributor
Not sure that is correct. It supports what Amazon call HD here (https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&...&dplnkId=2a2f2a0f-5ea6-43ab-bdcb-fb7fd7caab1f) my DAC is also reporting 16 bit 44.1Khz.

It is UHD that is not supported currently

Sorry, I strongly disagree - if you read my comments in this and the other large WiiM streamer thread, I (and others) state on many occasions, with background info, as to why it’s not supporting what Amazon in that link call HD (I.e. lossless 16 bit).

What you are seeing as 16/44.1 are the lossy Amazon Music SD tracks, not the lossless Amazon Music 16/44.1 HD tracks.

Supporting lossless is an entirely different kettle of fish involving new APIs, encryption and stricter certification to support the adaptive bitrate delivery of the lossless streams. It’s not helped by Wiim’s own FAQ misconstruing lossy 16/44.1 as HD, and suggesting that lossless 24bit UHD support is somehow different to lossless 16bit HD support, bit depth aside.

Pep2020

Ok you are probably correct.

The thing that confuses me is that I set the streaming quality on the Amazon music app to only use HD/UHD. The track when it plays reports HD. But it also states that "streaming quality is not available when casting".

So that probably reinforces what you said about is being SD.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Ok you are probably correct.

The thing that confuses me is that I set the streaming quality on the Amazon music app to only use HD/UHD. The track when it plays reports HD. But it also states that "streaming quality is not available when casting".

So that probably reinforces what you said about is being SD.

I’m unconvinced that casting from the Amazon Music app supports anything better than SD even for their own kit (maybe Echo Studio aside) but given the app message you quote, we have no real way of knowing.

As mentioned in the WiiM threads here, they say they will support lossless HD/UHD casting, but if they do, it’ll be a world first in my and others’ experience.

Top Bottom