• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Witterings

I ll ask here as its about the Wiim ..

Mine shipped today. I ll also get a pair of Wharfedale 11.1, have a Pair of Borea BR02 als alternative to test and even some other slightly smaller older speakers. But probably the Wharfedales will be used. It will be for music listening in the bedroom. Using Tidal mostly.

Any suggestions what to plug in between?
As is, as DAC/Amp connected to the Wiim Mini by Toslink?

For starters i can use my old Pioneer AVR but i d like something smaller. Not sure how much i want to spend. Probably not more than 200-300. If its less, thats welcome ;D

I have thought about a Loxije A30. That should be plenty powerful. Also the Headphone Out of that is a welcome addition. I have an older LG Quad Dac Phone that drives my Earphones without amp, but i guess something additional wont hurt.
Optimally it should have a remote, which the A30 has too.

Having read too much here i also eyed a Topping DX3pro+ & PA3s combo ... but i think thats already going overboard for that purpose ;D

Oh, and i might also use the Wiim for my x4700h in the living room to avoid Heos. Usually use a TabletPC or Heos App to stream there. But am not super fond of the latter. If it works well i might get a 2nd just for that.

I recently bought a new amp and looked at the Loxjie as well but 10% of Amazon reviews were 1 star which put me off which was a shame as it ticked all the other boxes.
I also considered the PA3s but in the end went with an SMSL AO200 as it's meant to be slightly more powerful and the "numbers" are marginally better.
The only thing is I already had an interface that takes Optical in and has line out, if I didn't have that I'd probably have bought a Topping E30 to go with it.

Your other alternative if you're buying speakers what about looking at some active ones with Optical in?

Reactions: phx

phx

Your other alternative if you're buying speakers what about looking at some active ones with Optical in?

Thanks.

Well. I guess i m primarily looking at passive speakers because i am used to them and as i said i have some around.
The Wharfedale 11.1 only cost 150€ and if they dont work out i have another use for them. There is also a lot of choice in the 200-300 region for compact speakers.

Also i think placement wise i ll prefer having no power coord(s) for active speakers.

That said, i did actually look at some. But i found nothing peaking my interest below 450€. Like the Q Acoustics M20 or Triangle Elara active. So i figured i ll do better with amp + passives.
Also as mentioned, while i dont have an headphone Amp, that might be something interesting too.

morillon

Major Contributor

a new product very like this wiim mini...
( but with ethernet and a little less expessive)
can be to measure and compare directly to the wiim...? (can be more efficient in analog output and toslink?)

armin?
;-)
it is these offers that fill the space left empty by the "obsolete" chromecast (it seems to me after a few measurements with jtest that the wiim has a significantly higher 48k 24bit jitter on the chrome...
can be improved side firmware?)
;-)

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

a new product very like this wiim mini...
First, here is the english link, in case someone doesn't speak baguette, like yours truly. ;)

Second, welcome at ASR. :cool:

Third, if you want to see this tested, it's best to offer Amir to buy it, and either let Audiophonics ship it to him, or do it yourself. Right now i suspect the queue is several month long, because he didn't measure the $12 amp that will beat the Lepai yet. You need to be able to live with that time not having the device. If you really want to buy it, send Amir a private message first.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Download their app, I guarantee it will work with the WiiM Mini - both use the same Linkplay architecture (as do dozens of other devices). Nice feature set in that one! I'd worry about (possible lack of) support, though.

morillon

Major Contributor
First, here is the english link, in case someone doesn't speak baguette, like yours truly. ;)

Third, if you want to see this tested, it's best to offer Amir to buy it, and either let Audiophonics ship it to him, or do it yourself. Right now i suspect the queue is several month long, because he didn't measure the $12 amp that will beat the Lepai yet. You need to be able to live with that time not having the device. If you really want to buy it, send Amir a private message first.
thank you

thank you;-)
my english is very bad, sorry...
I have no interest with this little streamer, especially since I have had a little wiim for some time...
but indeed most certainly the same engineering etc. and yes seem the same software.. "oem"
just the ethernet..
I made some observations between a chromecast and the wiim on jtest 48k 24bit with modest means, but I tried to be a little rigorous
if some want to debrief a little...

in toslink, same process, hificast etc

Attachments

• Capture chromecast 48k 24.PNG
    Capture chromecast 48k 24.PNG
    36.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Capture wiim 48.24.PNG
    Capture wiim 48.24.PNG
    34.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Brantome

Major Contributor
Download their app, I guarantee it will work with the WiiM Mini - both use the same Linkplay architecture (as do dozens of other devices). Nice feature set in that one! I'd worry about (possible lack of) support, though.
Yeah - i downloaded the AudioCast app and it looks very similar if not near identical to the Wiim app. And it picks up my Wiim and its configured music services….

Witterings

Yeah - i downloaded the AudioCast app and it looks very similar if not near identical to the Wiim app. And it picks up my Wiim and its configured music services….

Does aybody know of any apps for a PC / Windows 10 that will work with the WiiM?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Does aybody know of any apps for a PC / Windows 10 that will work with the WiiM?
No, but it would be useful. If you had Windows 11, I guess you could use the Android app from the Amazon AppStore app from the Microsoft Store. If you can’t, someone on another Alexa forum suggested the use of Bluestacks or similar software that might run android apps on Windows.

In relation to a previous discussion we had about logging in to services, the fact that this other app can access my already configured WiiM mini seems to suggest the credentials etc are held on the device itself, and would also explain why each individual device needs to authenticate itself rather than getting the info from the app.

soapsuds

Ground loop. Lots of threads on fixing those.
Thank you.

I spent a lot of time reading the various posts here and elsewhere on the Internet, but the conversation seems very confusing with lots of differing views, not to mention expensive solutions that are disproportionate to the cost of a WiiM Mini.

In case it helps anyone else, I chose to try an inexpensive USB Noise Isolator that solved my problem.

Last edited:

Witterings

Thank you.

I spent a lot of time reading the various posts here and elsewhere on the Internet, but the conversation seems very confusing with lots of differing views, not to mention expensive solutions that are inconsistent with the price of a WiiM Mini.

In case it helps anyone else, I chose to try an inexpensive USB Noise Isolator that solved my problem.

Poor thing's got 100% 1 star rating ... never seen that before :facepalm:

Last edited:

soapsuds

It looked identical to several others and was available on next-day delivery which is why I chose it. We'll see how long it lasts.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Could be. Maybe tonite?

i’ve raised a ticket about 3. as I asked for this a few months back and have been really looking forward to it. Hope we get bitrate as well as bit depth and sample rate so we can see if it’s playing a lossy mp3 or a lossless CD quality track, for example.

Top Bottom