• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

telemike

I have experienced streaming dropouts with my wiim mini. Can anyone share solutions or steer me to forum threads for this? I haven't been able to produce search results for this problem.

The dropouts seem to occur most frequently at the beginning a listening session....maybe 3 or 4 times in one song. Then it happens less often in subsequent tracks, playing several songs w/o interruption but interruptions can recur at any time. Same problem with both Tidal and Spotify.

I have no problem streaming youtube or fire recast video on my wifi, so I would be surprised if my wifi is the cause. The wiim app indicates 78% wifi signal.

I'm trying to eliminate problems on my end to help determine if I have a defective wiim mini.

Any advice appreciated.
Marv

What service are you using? I experienced stuttering with Tidal but not Amazon or Spotify

Marv S

I have had it on Tidal and Spotify.

The wiim mini release notes page in the app says the latest update fixed the stuttering issue with Tidal, but that is not the case for me.

Perhaps the fact that I have the problem on Tidal and Spotify would indicate it may be an in house wifi issue. More feed back will be helpful.

telemike

Got my Topping E30 DAC. Sure sounds good. I could say the veil is lifted lol.

Decided to pull my Pi out and probably sell it.

imral3

For those of you who already have this device and are using the optical out, are you using the supplied optical cable or some other optical cable? If something else, is it for aesthetic/build quality (of the cable) reasons or you think you can hear a difference between different optical cables?
I am using an Amazon Basics optical cable because they are thicker (jacket) and very flexible. I doubt any audible difference could be measured/heard.

flz

Got my Topping E30 DAC. Sure sounds good. I could say the veil is lifted lol.

Decided to pull my Pi out and probably sell it.
good to know. my original intention was to decide on the WiiM after Amir's review came out. But I couldn't wait any longer and just ordered it from Amazon.

tom_tom

my original intention was to decide on the WiiM after Amir's review came out. But I couldn't wait any longer and just ordered
Same here :) I really like convenience factor. Spotify Connect, BT and Airplay is easy achievable with raspberry, but Tidal Connect a nice extra. Deezer and Amazon music from app adds versatility. Bubble UpnP got new feature called "Audio Cast" for Android and with that Apple Music should be available too.

drmevo

I really wish Apple would release an Apple Music equivalent of Spotify/Tidal Connect. I'd buy this thing in a heartbeat.

RosalieTheDog

Correct, anticipating 192/24 for Tidal Connect soon. Hopefully!
?? Tidal hires is MQA, correct, so you would need an MQA capable DAC with optical in, but all MQA decoding DACs need a USB in. What am I missing? What do you mean with Tidal connect hires with this Wiim?

mateolo2

Guys,

If i use only Spotify Connect (which is 320kbps) should you still choose 24bit/192 KHz in wiim setting to achive best sound quality or it better to choose lowest setting for no upsampling etc?

telemike

Guys,

If i use only Spotify Connect (which is 320kbps) should you still choose 24bit/192 KHz in wiim setting to achive best sound quality or it better to choose lowest setting for no upsampling etc?

It won't matter. I have mine set for 192/24. Spotify shows as 44.1 when using Connect

telemike

?? Tidal hires is MQA, correct, so you would need an MQA capable DAC with optical in, but all MQA decoding DACs need a USB in. What am I missing? What do you mean with Tidal connect hires with this Wiim?

Tidal Hi-Fi will be 44.1/16 thru the Wiim. The higher spec Tidal will also be 44.1/16.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Looking forward to read the Amirm review of this unit.:)

If theres no resampling going on inside and if the output signal from optical out is bitcorrect , then this unit would be really interesting and a serious competitor to Yamaha wxc50 and bluesound node2.

Most cheap streamers usually lack AirPlay and Tidal connect , so this unit is interesting on paper. The new software upgrade made it 192 kHz 24 bit compatible on digital out.

I never did like the original cromecast hifi-rubbish with its inferior sound with digital out compared to Yamaha wxc50 , so if this unit dont destroy the 16 bit data it really would be nice for 100 dollars.

Also - really good high-end sound from spdif out demands a really good , noisefree clocking output with separate crystals for 44,1 and 48 kHz. But separate crystals is not used even in bluesound or Yamaha wxc50 , so it might be to much to ask for.

A rasberry pi4 with asynchronuos digital out into a topping d10s is still a really good choice , and also Allo:s cheap streamer ofcourse but that alternative do lack a digital output.

Last edited:

d3miller

Your observations are interesting and helpful, thanks. Just to be clear, are you saying even when you used WiiM's own internal DAC, there was no significant audible difference vs the other connections you mentioned (such as Wiim with optical out to D30 Pro)?
To clarify, I never used Wiim's own internal DAC. I've only used the Wiim via optical out to a Topping D30 Pro (with an ML Unison in the middle, all in the digital domain). However, I did use the Node 2is internal DAC, and did not notice an audible difference. But this is my ears only--I'm sure some folks may be able to hear a difference. And I'm sure measurements may demonstrate as well. But to me, no significant difference (ie doubtful I could point out which is which in a blind test).

telemike

Updates to be
released by 3/31
New Features:
  • New music service: Calm Radio
  • New music service: Sound Machine
  • Bit-depth and sample rate information added to app UI
  • Custom URL so users can create their own station
  • Two-way Bluetooth communication
  • User can select 5G band only for WiFi and other WiFi band and info added
Performance Improvements:
  • Audio quality improvements for both analog and digital audio output when using digital volume control
  • Playback smoothness for Spotify Connect and other music services
  • Improved In-App feedback support

Updates to be
released by 4/15
New Features:
  • Universal Search - Search across multiple music services
  • Favorites section - User's favorite tracks, playlist, stations, podcast, and recently played are listed in the favorites section of app
  • Preset function - Double-click play/pause on WiiM Mini device to play preset music services, playlists, radio stations without using the app.
  • Users can select streaming quality in the "Now Play" app UI
  • OOBE experience improved by separating network connection status update from device discovery
  • Improved current play queue operation

Updates to be
released by 4/30
New Features:
  • Amazon Ultra HD support
  • TIDAL Master support (bypass MQA)
  • 48kHz/24 bit supported on AirPlay 2

Future updates
New Features:
  • EQ to set bass, mid-range, and treble
  • Audio balance left and right channels
  • Support SMB for music sharing
  • New music services such as SoundCloud, Pandora, SiriusXM, Radio Paradise, Nugs.net,etc.

TomJ

I received my WiiM Mini yesterday and tried it on two systems in different rooms using its Toslink output. Its sound quality in both rooms is much better than I expected, on par with network streaming on my SHD Studio. I also found that its Toslink resolution setting varies with the wifi signal strength which seems reasonable.

The Toslink resolution setting is determined by the result of a functional end-to-end tone test that the user initiates on the WiiM phone app, which also measures the wifi connection between the phone and the Mini (“network strength”). Based on this test result, the app set the Toslink resolution to 192/24 in the first room where network strength = 100% and 48/24 in the second where network strength = 40%. For comparison, I also tested the wifi transaction rates in both rooms with a MacOS utility on an M1 MacBook Pro which has a more powerful wifi antenna. It measured 866 Mbps in the first room and 350 Mbps in the second, both on 802.11ac.

The network stability of the Mini is excellent in both rooms and systems with no connection problems and no dropouts while using Airplay 2 for web radio and its network interface to Audirvana on UPnP for local files and Qobuz streaming.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Sure, having to use two apps rather than one is an inconvenience but it works as when Apple rolls out its classical interface it may render Qobuz a second place choice for me . Bubble Upnp and USB Audio Player Pro are both worth the pittance required to support their work as far as I'm concerned.
Hi

So with USB Audio Player Pro, you can currently use the official Apple Music app?

And the audio from official app will pass through USB Audio Player Pro and then bit perfect to connected USB DAC?

Or you have to use 3rd party app for Apple Music?

d3miller

Updates to be
released by 3/31
New Features:
  • New music service: Calm Radio
  • New music service: Sound Machine
  • Bit-depth and sample rate information added to app UI
  • Custom URL so users can create their own station
  • Two-way Bluetooth communication
  • User can select 5G band only for WiFi and other WiFi band and info added
  • Audio quality improvements for both analog and digital audio output when using digital volume control
  • Playback smoothness for Spotify Connect and other music services
  • Improved In-App feedback support

Updates to be
released by 4/15
New Features:
  • Universal Search - Search across multiple music services
  • Favorites section - User's favorite tracks, playlist, stations, podcast, and recently played are listed in the favorites section of app
  • Preset function - Double-click play/pause on WiiM Mini device to play preset music services, playlists, radio stations without using the app.
  • Users can select streaming quality in the "Now Play" app UI
  • OOBE experience improved by separating network connection status update from device discovery
  • Improved current play queue operation

Updates to be
released by 4/30
New Features:
  • Amazon Ultra HD support
  • TIDAL Master support (bypass MQA)
  • 48kHz/24 bit supported on AirPlay 2

Future updates
New Features:
  • EQ to set bass, mid-range, and treble
  • Audio balance left and right channels
  • Support SMB for music sharing
  • New music services such as SoundCloud, Pandora, SiriusXM, Radio Paradise, Nugs.net,etc.
Wow. Nice roadmap. These guys are serious about their product. Such a steal at $99. I have had zero issues with mine.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi

So with USB Audio Player Pro, you can currently use the official Apple Music app?

And the audio from official app will pass through USB Audio Player Pro and then bit perfect to connected USB DAC?

Or you have to use 3rd party app for Apple Music?
No USBAPPP doesn't work with Apple Music only Qobuz and Tidal. BubbleUpnp Audio Cast works with Apple Music and provides gapless playback but resolution limited to 44.1/16

Top Bottom