• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

telemike

Just got my WIIM. Easy setup. I'm using Amazon and Spotify now. I would love to use Tidal HiFi but it doesn't show up on lockscreen controls on my iphone like the others do

flz

External DAC - Topping D30 Pro. I honestly don't think there is a noticeable difference. I had the Node doing RCA out to my speakers, also did optical out to a MiniDSP. I think the only audible difference (to me) is when I turned Dirac on. I don't recall any noticeable difference between Wiim, Node 2i DAC, Node 2i --> MiniDSP DAC, and even my current Wiim --> ML Unison (ARC) --> Topping D30 Pro chain, other than when room correction is turned on (and at that point, it's no longer the DAC that is making the audible difference)
Your observations are interesting and helpful, thanks. Just to be clear, are you saying even when you used WiiM's own internal DAC, there was no significant audible difference vs the other connections you mentioned (such as Wiim with optical out to D30 Pro)?

telemike

Preliminary listening I find the onboard DAC just fine. I should have my topping DAC tomorrow for comparison.

Love that I can cast from Amazon app

mateolo2

Your observations are interesting and helpful, thanks. Just to be clear, are you saying even when you used WiiM's own internal DAC, there was no significant audible difference vs the other connections you mentioned (such as Wiim with optical out to D30 Pro)?
I think there is no way that wiim mini cheap dac will sound even close to good external dac. But if it digital out will be close to most popular streamers like Node 2i, aries mini etc. It will be the hotest device in audiophile world in recent years. Really…

flz

Preliminary listening I find the onboard DAC just fine. I should have my topping DAC tomorrow for comparison.

Love that I can cast from Amazon app
Please give us an update once you do the comparison, thanks!

flz

I think there is no way that wiim mini cheap dac will sound even close to good external dac. But if it digital out will be close to most popular streamers like Node 2i, aries mini etc. It will be the hotest device in audiophile world in recent years. Really…
And then there are those that had to work very hard to hear a slight difference between a $10 and $1,500 DAC (in another thread). And even then it wasn't conclusive. Just saying...I have no strong view either way.

telemike

Analog out specs:

Line in to Line out:
Power Output=2Vrms
THD+N Ratio=0.009%
SNR=102dB
Crosstalk=-106dB
Dynamic Range=96dB

flz

Analog out specs:

Line in to Line out:
Power Output=2Vrms
THD+N Ratio=0.009%
SNR=102dB
Crosstalk=-106dB
Dynamic Range=96dB
Is it just coincidence that redbook CD's dynamic range is limited to 96 db?

flz

His reviews are full of silly subjectivism but Hans Beekhuyzen reviewed the Wiim. His measurements at 2:45 in show a potentially audible jump in frequency response and distortion in high frequencies using the analog output.
The comments to that video are very interesting as many asked about the quality of the optical out. Hans replied many times and suggested even the Wiim's optical out was of inferior quality. Something about using cheap "clock crystals". Even more interesting - WiiM Support replied to one of the comments and said "Regarding the crystal we used, it's under +/- 10 ppm."

RndJeff

I think there is no way that wiim mini cheap dac will sound even close to good external dac.
Thankfully that is what measurements will show us. No doubt there will be a difference, but maybe it will still be good enough for most. I’m really hoping for the internal DAC to be good so things like volume control works. Losing that by using the optical out defeats the purpose of using the Wiim (for me.) Neither my external DAC or amp have remote control.

TimW

Major Contributor
The comments to that video are very interesting as many asked about the quality of the optical out. Hans replied many times and suggested even the Wiim's optical out was of inferior quality. Something about using cheap "clock crystals". Even more interesting - WiiM Support replied to one of the comments and said "Regarding the crystal we used, it's under +/- 10 ppm."
Hans is a subjectivist that believes in all sorts of audio apparitians. Amir's testing will show us the truth.

mateolo2

And then there are those that had to work very hard to hear a slight difference between a $10 and $1,500 DAC (in another thread). And even then it wasn't conclusive. Just saying...I have no strong view either way.
Thats interesting. I tested few dac’s in my system in 100-600$ range and They make bigger difference in sound quality than different amps

TomJ

This pertains to WiiM Mini web security. Today I asked WiiM tech support about password protection after someone posted that WiiM Mini transmits cleartext passwords (not encrypted) to external music streaming services which exposes their users to unacceptable security risks.
WiiM replied very quickly as follows. I'm posting it with permission:
-----
We have passed safety certification tests for password encryption and security of WiiM user accounts. When we login our users to integrated external streaming services, we encrypt user passwords before transmission in either of two ways: by using the custom encryption algorithm provided by the external service, or by following the OAuth 2.0 industry standard authorization protocol that's used by Qobuz, Deezer and others. After successful customer login, the service provides a token to us that we use for permissions to browse and select playback music on the service.
-----
Nice. I've ordered mine.
cheers, Tom

flz

For those of you who already have this device and are using the optical out, are you using the supplied optical cable or some other optical cable? If something else, is it for aesthetic/build quality (of the cable) reasons or you think you can hear a difference between different optical cables?

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hans is a subjectivist that believes in all sorts of audio apparitians. Amir's testing will show us the truth.
As much as I respect the old man I had to unsubscribe from his channel when he started talking about audiophile switches etc. He is very subjective although he has a lot of measuring gear. He talks about noticing sound quality differences amongst different filters on DAC etc.

telemike

For those of you who already have this device and are using the optical out, are you using the supplied optical cable or some other optical cable? If something else, is it for aesthetic/build quality (of the cable) reasons or you think you can hear a difference between different optical cables?

I'll use the included one if it's shorter. I haven't trained my ear to listen to light pulses yet. :eek:

Marv S

I have experienced streaming dropouts with my wiim mini. Can anyone share solutions or steer me to forum threads for this? I haven't been able to produce search results for this problem.

The dropouts seem to occur most frequently at the beginning a listening session....maybe 3 or 4 times in one song. Then it happens less often in subsequent tracks, playing several songs w/o interruption but interruptions can recur at any time. Same problem with both Tidal and Spotify.

I have no problem streaming youtube or fire recast video on my wifi, so I would be surprised if my wifi is the cause. The wiim app indicates 78% wifi signal.

I'm trying to eliminate problems on my end to help determine if I have a defective wiim mini.

Any advice appreciated.
Marv

Top Bottom