• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One more week to go before the grand release of wiim apps or firmware that support amazon ultra hd and tidal mqa. I have both services so this update is important to me. It would be great if amazon apps will connect similar to Spotify connect instead of wiim apps.

Brantome

Major Contributor
One more week to go before the grand release of wiim apps or firmware that support amazon ultra hd and tidal mqa. I have both services so this update is important to me. It would be great if amazon apps will connect similar to Spotify connect instead of wiim apps.

It’s not just Amazon Music 24 bit UHD that it’ll hopefully support, but also 16 bit HD tracks I.e, the lossless variants, not the current lossy service. WiiM will persist in using the wrong term to describe the Amazon services :(

Also, MQA support will be what I believe is the “first unfold” or MQA bypass (or whatever nonsensical audio origami they call it) as the WiiM Mini doesn’t support full MQA.

Whether it will support full lossless casting from the amazon music app is the big $64k question - they suggest it will, but nobody else has achieved that yet, so the jury is out till we can see it with our own eyes and hear it with our own ears ;)

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Hopefully some of the (many) other vendors using the LinkPlay modules will update to the newer module in the WiiM Mini. There are some great configurations out there. I especially like the audifi streamer, with its metal box, display, and lots of I/O, but it's using the old A31 LinkPlay module (no Airplay 2). AudioEngine also makes a nice version, again with the outdated, low performance module.

Smartplug

Hopefully some of the (many) other vendors using the LinkPlay modules will update to the newer module in the WiiM Mini. There are some great configurations out there. I especially like the audifi streamer, with its metal box, display, and lots of I/O, but it's using the old A31 LinkPlay module (no Airplay 2). AudioEngine also makes a nice version, again with the outdated, low performance module.
I wonder if linkplay has new product this year as successor of wiim for more features.

tsammyc

It’s not just Amazon Music 24 bit UHD that it’ll hopefully support, but also 16 bit HD tracks I.e, the lossless variants, not the current lossy service. WiiM will persist in using the wrong term to describe the Amazon services :(

Also, MQA support will be what I believe is the “first unfold” or MQA bypass (or whatever nonsensical audio origami they call it) as the WiiM Mini doesn’t support full MQA.

Whether it will support full lossless casting from the amazon music app is the big $64k question - they suggest it will, but nobody else has achieved that yet, so the jury is out till we can see it with our own eyes and hear it with our own ears ;)
It’s unclear if the WiiM will support full MQA (2nd unfold etc) from its analog output, but it should at least be able to pass the first unfold to a MQA capable DAC over TOSLINK

I thought that older DACs would not support MQA, but Bluesound managed to implement all 3 MQA unfolds in their devices, even dating back to the 2014 Node N100. So it might be possible in firmware for the WiiM to do fully support MQA rendering without an external DAC. The clear indication would be if Tidal 192 KHz MQA files play at full 192 KHz like they do with Bluesound (their claim anyway)

Even so, WiiM’s SINAD from analog outputs may not be satisfying enough for some even with 24/192 MQA

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
It’s unclear if the WiiM supports full MQA (2nd unfold etc) from its analog output, but it should at least be able to pass the first unfold to a MQA capable DAC over TOSLINK

I thought that older DACs would not support MQA, but Bluesound managed to implement all 3 MQA unfolds in their devices, even dating back to the 2014 Node N100. So it might be possible in firmware for the WiiM to do fully support MQA rendering without an external DAC. The clear indication would be if Tidal 192 KHz MQA files play at full 192 KHz like they do with Bluesound (their claim anyway)

Even so, WiiM’s SINAD from analog outputs may not be satisfying enough for some even with 24/192 MQA
It's not unclear, MQA second fold is unsupported.

Smartplug

Wiim not only low price but loaded with features normally can be find on more expensive unit plus the ongoing updates. The grand update will be next week as it include Amazon ultra hd and tidal master. At the end of this month, we pretty much have it all.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Are you saying this is impossible to implement in firmware because of WiiM’s hardware or that WiiM is not going to attempt it?
Support has said the next update will support Master files without MQA and MQA second fold is not indicated among their future new features.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Looking forward to @Smartplug and @Brantome (and anyone else here) analysis of the Amazon Music UHD update - optical output.

Especially if it meets Wiim's claim that it will not only support casting from Amazon app, but it is bit perfect.

I'm not fussed if 16bit tracks shows as 24bits at the Wiim end. Likely this is just padding bit depth with zero's.

But I'm more interested that original sample rate is not altered.

With Amazon app on a PC or Mac or iOS device connected to a USB DAC - everything is resampled to 192kHz.

tsammyc

Support has said the next update will support Master files without MQA and MQA second fold is not indicated among their future new features.
I saw that, but I’m not sure what it means. Tidal Masters tracks eg 24/192 currently play at 16/44.1 using the WiiM app so the app has for a long time “supported Master files without MQA”. Perhaps as you say what they mean is that we will get a first unfold to 24/96. Progress at least, especially if it works with Tidal Connect

Smartplug

My Yamaha music cast shows flac 192khz or 44.1khz on amazon music but I’m having hard time hearing the difference but on some music the 192khz sound unclear and 44.1 kHz sound coherent.

Music1969

Major Contributor
My Yamaha music cast shows flac 192khz or 44.1khz on amazon music but I’m having hard time hearing the difference but on some music the 192khz sound unclear and 44.1 kHz sound coherent.

Yes my wish for correct sample rates (at a minimum) isn't because of audibility claims.

It's more to do with... "why not".

Just give us the original music (in many cases now, the crown jewels digital master) un-altered and I can process as I like, after that.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Are you using the amazon music or Yamaha app? I’d expect the latter to sound better as the amazon music app doesn’t support casting for anything other than SD (or at best HD) tracks in my experience

Smartplug

Are you using the amazon music or Yamaha app? I’d expect the latter to sound better as the amazon music app doesn’t support casting for anything other than SD (or at best HD) tracks in my experience
From other site that I have seen, heos, playfi and music cast all support amazon hd. I have wiim connected on Yamaha AVR using external dac then goes to analog input on AVR. Here’s my take, using wiim and tidal connect the sound was coherent and engaging than using music cast, this maybe due to the quality of external dac. However, using amazon music on wiim app sound compressed but music cast sound fuller and more dimensional. Next week updates is important as I have both services. Is the amazon ultra can be played on wiim apps or amazon native apps on next week release?

Top Bottom