• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Normal is lossy, High should be CD lossless 44.1 & assuming Hifi is MQA which the wiim doesn't support yet...?
Nope. High is also lossy. HiFi is CD lossless. Amended my ticket with WiiM.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Is that in part down to Tidal rebranding that Wiim may not have reflected in their app viz. “ The 'Tidal Premium' tier (£9.99, $9.99, AU$11.99 per month) that offered 320kbps quality has now been rebranded as ‘Tidal HiFi’ and gets you audio at up to 1411 kbps (i.e. CD quality)” (https://www.whathifi.com/tidal/review)

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Here are my choices in the Tidal app. Only the first two in the WiiM app.

60F00FAC-D6E8-41A3-A9F2-3ACBE274BF30.jpeg

Brantome

Major Contributor
Here are my choices in the Tidal app. Only the first two in the WiiM app.

Looks like there may be confusion over the terminology of the subscription plans and the streaming quality for Tidal, much as I believe there has been a misuse of Amazon Music HD to cover lossy 16/44.1 SD

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Yes. The song:quality tag in the metadata confirmed my suspicion. Streaming from Tidal Connect shows a higher song:quality vs streaming Tidal in the WiiM app. They still have work to do.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yes. The song:quality tag in the metadata confirmed my suspicion. Streaming from Tidal Connect shows a higher song:quality vs streaming Tidal in the WiiM app. They still have work to do.

Agreed, but I’m still optimistic (despite my natural cynicism ;) ) that they will achieve it even though timescales are already slipping. And to be fair, it does sound pretty good as it is feeding my Linn MDSM/4 and Majik M109 bookshelf speakers :)

Music1969

Major Contributor
The May firmware update for Amazon HD is highly anticipated !

It could be a game changer. Or could be "meh".

Looking forward to all the analysis (especially casting from Amazon app on iOS/Android) once the firmware is out.

Merifon

hi everybody, just to say that with Tidal HiFi subscription, wiim app on iOS doesn't show "Hi-Fi", no way to select it, while Android one show it.
If i start stream from wiim iOS, quality is kept High only, not hifi
From Android goes Hifi
Tidal apps work both as espected.
Already opened a support ticket...

flz

Can you hear a difference? In my system, I could not hear a difference between Apple Music AAC 256 over Airplay & Tidal Lossless (HiFI) via Tidal Connect. My friend also could not hear any difference. Both from the WiiM via optical out to SMSL Su-9n.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
hi everybody, just to say that with Tidal HiFi subscription, wiim app on iOS doesn't show "Hi-Fi", no way to select it, while Android one show it.
If i start stream from wiim iOS, quality is kept High only, not hifi
From Android goes Hifi
Tidal apps work both as espected.
Already opened a support ticket...
Ok, thanks for that! I’ll install the WiiM app on my chromebook and check this out.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Can you hear a difference? In my system, I could not hear a difference between Apple Music AAC 256 over Airplay & Tidal Lossless (HiFI) via Tidal Connect. My friend also could not hear any difference. Both from the WiiM via optical out to SMSL Su-9n.
No, but that’s not the issue here. There’s a flaw in WiiM’s iOS app which needs to be fixed.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes. Inside the WiiM app, my account says Premium, not HiFi. In the Tidal app, it says HiFi. So, they have it screwed up.

Hi Fi here in the WiiM app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220503-092454.png
    Screenshot_20220503-092454.png
    684.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20220503-092643.png
    Screenshot_20220503-092643.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 97

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Hi Fi here in the WiiM app.
Yes, this issue appears to be specific to iOS, as noted above. On my ChromeOS tablet, HiFi is an option. When I play from the WiiM app on the tablet, I’m getting lossless, or HiFi in Tidal-speak.

CE497F59-6DAF-455C-884A-197C89CEA705.jpeg

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There’s suppose to be update for April 30 but nothing showing up.

Brantome

Major Contributor
There’s suppose to be update for April 30 but nothing showing up.

As mentioned in a previous reply about that, they released a bug fix version only four/five days ago - if they were going to make the Apr 30 target date, they would have delayed that bug fix till that big release. I would guess their target timescales are slipping by at least a week. I’ll be very surprised if they release Amazon Music HD and Tidal Master on May 15th too - I can see that slipping maybe into June if truth be told.

telemike

At least WIIM is updating and listening to users with updating the software and firmware. I'm sure there are other streamers that are abandoned as far as updates go

thomasward00

Currently I use my LG TV with the Amazon HD app, Optical to the DAC in my Amp, would like to bypass the TV and have a small stream device, but Amazon HD over optical is a must, otherwise the device is pointless to me. Hopefully they get it updated soon, it's not worth $600 dollars for a bluesound node, at that price, I'll just stick with my TV, waiting on the Wiim update before buying.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Currently I use my LG TV with the Amazon HD app, Optical to the DAC in my Amp, would like to bypass the TV and have a small stream device, but Amazon HD over optical is a must, otherwise the device is pointless to me. Hopefully they get it updated soon, it's not worth $600 dollars for a bluesound node, at that price, I'll just stick with my TV, waiting on the Wiim update before buying.

Does the LG TV app actually support Amazon HD or just Amazon Music? Does it have the same sort of stats that, say, the Amazon Music app on a fire tv stick has such as track quality, device capability and playing quality? I’m not aware of any TV supporting lossless Amazon Music HD tbh.

tsammyc

Is that in part down to Tidal rebranding that Wiim may not have reflected in their app viz. “ The 'Tidal Premium' tier (£9.99, $9.99, AU$11.99 per month) that offered 320kbps quality has now been rebranded as ‘Tidal HiFi’ and gets you audio at up to 1411 kbps (i.e. CD quality)” (https://www.whathifi.com/tidal/review)
I think you are right. I’m not having any issue with the WiiM iOS app playing HiFi from Tidal. I think that’s because I have the HiFi Plus tier subscription with MQA, whereas those having the bug have the HiFi tier

Top Bottom