• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Jpdelaney.tml

See old Yamaha does not know what 24/192 is but it decodes it and passes it through to the external DAC via optical, nice eh. Canadian ;)

Attachments

• 9B025B1F-7AD7-4AE3-8EB1-0895AED5BF51.jpeg
    9B025B1F-7AD7-4AE3-8EB1-0895AED5BF51.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 131

Music1969

Major Contributor
Enough complaints, send in your bug fix requests and enjoy what works very well with the Mini for an amazing price, comparatively.

Yep and in the case of casting Amazon Music UHD bit perfectly - there actually is no comparison to make!

Quite extraordinary when you think of all the big names in streaming but only WiiM/LinkPlay have pulled this off.

Bluesound must be furious ! :D

Philsen89

I received my wiim mini today. I use it via toslink to my topping e30 and into my stereo amp. After setting the toslink sample rate to 192khz in my wiim App, my dac shows the right sample rate (while doing the setup). But for some reason, there is no chance for me to get a better sample rate than 48khz while streaming via tidal. I tried listening in-app via tidal connect and with the wiim app. In both cases, the mastered songs are 48khz, the hifi songs 44.1.

I’m of course having a Hi-Fi plus membership for tidal.

When I plug my MacBook Air via usb to my dac, I can listen with tidal in 192 kHz without any problems.

Maybe someone has an idea for my problem?

Turambar

I don't think there is any problem.

Topping E30 is not compatible with MQA, so you get the FLAC file, that if it's a Master one, it's either at 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz.

In your MacBook probably you are resampling everything to 192 kHz, including Tidal.

telemike

I received my wiim mini today. I use it via toslink to my topping e30 and into my stereo amp. After setting the toslink sample rate to 192khz in my wiim App, my dac shows the right sample rate (while doing the setup). But for some reason, there is no chance for me to get a better sample rate than 48khz while streaming via tidal. I tried listening in-app via tidal connect and with the wiim app. In both cases, the mastered songs are 48khz, the hifi songs 44.1.

I’m of course having a Hi-Fi plus membership for tidal.

When I plug my MacBook Air via usb to my dac, I can listen with tidal in 192 kHz without any problems.

Maybe someone has an idea for my problem?

You need an MQA DAC. Your DAC is fine for 192k Amazon tho

Stereoguy

Just ordered a Wiim mini have a quick question regarding streaming my own music.Currently using plex media server with a Nvidia shield pro (2019) for my own tunes(most are in 24-192 how can I use the Wiim to stream my music?Sorry if this type of question has already been answered!!:)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just ordered a Wiim mini have a quick question regarding streaming my own music.Currently using plex media server with a Nvidia shield pro (2019) for my own tunes(most are in 24-192 how can I use the Wiim to stream my music?Sorry if this type of question has already been answered!!:)

Philsen89

I contacted the wiim support because of mqa. Maybe the answer is for some of you helpful.

“We're working with MQA for the certification of our MQA core decoder now. It'll be released to public in Q4, this year (hopefully early next month). .“

Sounds great :)

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I contacted the wiim support because of mqa. Maybe the answer is for some of you helpful.

“We're working with MQA for the certification of our MQA core decoder now. It'll be released to public in Q4, this year (hopefully early next month). .“

Sounds great :)
That’s probably why wiim pro not being release waiting for that certificate. It’s mqa ready out of the box.

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
This is exactly what I have and mostly it works great - you sometimes need a bit of patience for Plex to appear in the “home server” ( might just be my network) but once you select some music and play it works great!

I asked wiim if home media content ( eg a Plex playlist ) could be added as a “preset content” - still waiting for that feature!

The only other missing feature is the search within the wiim mini app does not search Plex!

I am also investigating “fixing” an open source project which presents a dlna renderer ( like the wiim mini ) as a Plex player ( like a headless Plexamp) - this would allow me to use the Plexamp but with the wiim mini as the playback device ( sort of like plex “connect” )

Philsen89

That’s probably why wiim pro not being release waiting for that certificate. It’s mqa ready out of the box.
Mqa will be 96khz max. They registered me as beta user, so I will get the update next week. Maybe the pro version would be up to 192khz?

Music1969

Major Contributor
If beta testing is starting next week then they clearly already have the certification for Core Decoding from MQA Ltd.

Probably 4 weeks required of beta testing. Depends how it goes.

Smartplug

Mqa will be 96khz max. They registered me as beta user, so I will get the update next week. Maybe the pro version would be up to 192khz?
I have topping E50 that do rendering on optical and coaxial. So basically, mqa core plus rendering dac equal to full unfold. The beta I used had static and stuttering. It should fully unfold the mqa on my dac but doesn’t do that.

Smitty2k1

Ok now that gapless seems fine it appears replay gain isn't functioning.

I'm using LMS with the UPNP/DLNA plugin to send data to the Wiim. My replay gain settings in LMS for the Wiim seems to have no effect.

Anyone else confirm replay gain works or doesn't with LMS and DLNA?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Ok now that gapless seems fine it appears replay gain isn't functioning.

I'm using LMS with the UPNP/DLNA plugin to send data to the Wiim. My replay gain settings in LMS for the Wiim seems to have no effect.

Anyone else confirm replay gain works or doesn't with LMS and DLNA?
Replay gain must be implemented on the decoder, so if LMS sends audio unaltered to WiiM over DLNA there would be no implementation at all AFAIK because WiiM doesn't follow replay gain metadata. To get it you have to decode on LMS and send audio as a raw PCM or encode to something WiiM can play, like flac.

Smartplug

It has been days now since they posted that update from their website, anyone got it?

Top Bottom