• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
I haven't seen it explicitly mentioned but with the new feature of Amazon Music HD/Ultra now working when casting from the Amazon Music App it also supports the highres stream when invoked by voice from an Alexa Echo device linked to the WiiM Mini.
It probably was, way, way back in the thread ;) It’s not linked to the WiiM mini exactly, but on the same account. The WiiM can also be used as a device group preferred speaker.

derek13

It probably was, way, way back in the thread ;) It’s not linked to the WiiM mini exactly, but on the same account. The WiiM can also be used as a device group preferred speaker.
Yes, I should have said the Echo is grouped with the WiiM with the latter as the preferred speaker.

mediocrebutarrogant

You connect your source to D10 s usb then you connect optical out d10s to WiiM then you connect WiiM optical out to your dac or aux out to amp D10s will show you sampling frequency
Ok better solution optical out from WiiM ->to optical splitter -> topping E30 optical in or cheaper one end -> another to main dac optical in here E30 displays sample rate only

Bamyasi

I have asked them for clarification as overall the answer wasn't very clear and if the "memory flash size" isn't an issue with the WiiM App I can't see why it would be with the Amazon App .... personally I really don't like the WiiM App in comparison.
I am pretty sure what they meant to say was flash memory on the device (Wiim mini), which is fixed size / soldered.

Merifon

I'm back from holidays...
Just tried new Fw and apps. It's just me, or bitrate shown on wiim app (both ios and android) for a Tidal hi-fi started stream, is always 960kbit?
Same songs started from wiim app, show different bitrates.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I'm back from holidays...
Just tried new Fw and apps. It's just me, or bitrate shown on wiim app (both ios and android) for a Tidal hi-fi started stream, is always 960kbit?
Same songs started from wiim app, show different bitrates.
It looks constant indeed,1600 kbps for master 48/24.

Witterings

I am pretty sure what they meant to say was flash memory on the device (Wiim mini), which is fixed size / soldered.

I realised that, but they seemed to be infering it'd work via the WiiM App by the 30th but not via the Amazon App but surely the file sizes / bit rate will be the same so they'll both require the same amount of flash memory .... in other words how's it possible via one but not the other?

Music1969

Major Contributor
You connect your source to D10 s usb then you connect optical out d10s to WiiM then you connect WiiM optical out to your dac or aux out to amp D10s will show you sampling frequency
How would you connect D10s optical output to WiiM Mini?

WiiM Mini doesn't have optical input...

I don't think this works.

And the source he wants to use is WiiM Mini itself, not USB source

Bamyasi

I realised that, but they seemed to be infering it'd work via the WiiM App by the 30th but not via the Amazon App but surely the file sizes / bit rate will be the same so they'll both require the same amount of flash memory .... in other words how's it possible via one but not the other?
Because they need Alexa MRM SDK installed on the device itself for this to work. It's not about bitrates or streamed file size, it's about software size. For the Wiim Home app on the device itself they do not need full Alexa support.

Witterings

Because they need Alexa MRM SDK installed on the device itself for this to work. It's not about bitrates or streamed file size, it's about software size. For the Wiim Home app on the device itself they do not need full Alexa support.

Ahhh OK and thank you for the explanation .... makes total sense .... a real shame though!

It would help if they made it so if you're playing on one device it recognises that and plays Ultra HD but if you play it to multi-room it auto scales it down to save having to go in and keep changing the settings.
I often just ask Alexa to play self compiled playlists as I don't want to have to find a phone / tablet to control it but now don't have a choice and I'm guessing have to go into each WiiM device that's part of the muli-room group and change the settings on each one which will be a complete pain ..... OR ...... permanently leave it with Ultra HD off.

morillon

Major Contributor
I've been reading to each other for months...
if already this story of ultra hd "amazone hd" makes me smile a little.. see more..
I do not even understand that this is a subject if it concerns speakers connected like Alexas etc in "hd" :-0
I hope not to be taken for a troll ... but all this seems to me to have little sense and a just totally geek attitude ..... the connection with the video image not being justified concerning the audio ..

:-(

Brantome

Major Contributor
I've been reading to each other for months...
if already this story of ultra hd "amazone hd" makes me smile a little.. see more..
I do not even understand that this is a subject if it concerns speakers connected like Alexas etc in "hd" :-0
I hope not to be taken for a troll ... but all this seems to me to have little sense and a just totally geek attitude ..... the connection with the video image not being justified concerning the audio ..

:-(
As is often the case, I don’t quite know what you’re trying to say.

WiiM has implemented support for Amazon Music HD/UHD using the preferred Amazon MRM (multi room music) toolkit. MRM is an Alexa construct whereby any Alexa supported streaming service can be played in sync on multiple echo or Alexa enabled speakers like WiiM. Almost as a by product of using that tool kit, Alexa (which is the cloud service, not the hardware devices) can be used to request music to be played on WiiM Minis, as well as WiiM Minis being able to be used alongside echo devices in a multi room music group which is of benefit to some users, like me, who have a mixture of devices in multiple rooms.

Rather than being a source of amusement, what WiiM have achieved in the Amazon Music/ Alexa realm is to be applauded.

Witterings

As Brantome says, what you're trying to say is unclear although it appears you're laughing at people playing HD through speakers connected like Alexas etc. .... I assume from that you mean devices like Echo Dot's but please tell me if I'm wrong?

If that is the case you've completely misunderstood how people are using the WiiM to play HD music streamed via Amazon and played on potentially some very high end systems?

If that is the case the smiley / laughing emoji comes straight back at you.

Maybe you could explain in more detail exactly what you mean?

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Already posted a support feedback, they replied is a bug and will be fixed on next Fw.
I’m enjoying tidal master and can’t wait till they support mqa which I have a dac that support renderer on optical and coaxial. Once they implement mqa core the renderer will complete the rest of the unfolding. I hope the mqa won’t get push back on their roadmap.

Brantome

Major Contributor
As Brantome says, what you're trying to say is unclear although it appears you're laughing at people playing HD through speakers connected like Alexas etc. .... I assume from that you mean devices like Echo Dot's but please tell me if I'm wrong?

If that is the case you've completely misunderstood how people are using the WiiM to play HD music streamed via Amazon and played on potentially some very high end systems?

If that is the case the smiley / laughing emoji comes straight back at you.

Maybe you could explain in more detail exactly what you mean?
All Amazon Echos support Amazon Music at least to HD level, with a few like the Studio and Link/amp also supporting UHD. Actually, if you have an AmazonMusic Unlimited individual or family subscription, you generally can’t get less than that, and to be fair, it can be quite listenable on some models particularly when used as a stereo pair or in a small room like an office or summerhouse. The WiiM is a welcome addition to that, offering audiophile quality where it’s needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom