• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

mediocrebutarrogant

Hi,i want to ask when you use Bluetooth transmitter you can't use optical output in the same time or all output work in the same time ,i have Yamaha wxc 50 and when i use it like Bluetooth transmitter all other output works.
Thanks
Viktor
They only allow one output mode optical by or aux at a time

Green7

Quick question - the folks who have the option of 2-way Bluetooth on their Wiim device, are you all on IOS?

AKR

Hi,i want to ask when you use Bluetooth transmitter you can't use optical output in the same time or all output work in the same time ,i have Yamaha wxc 50 and when i use it like Bluetooth transmitter all other output works.
Thanks
Viktor
As stated above, the WiiM output selector lets you choose between Aux, Optical or Bluetooth. Only one works at a time but I noticed if the BT connection is unpaired it switches to the optical connection ( I don’t have the Aux in use) and continues to play.

Witterings

Is anybody else having issues with multiroom music with Amazon music?

I've logged out of everything again and logged back in and it's made no difference, I've tried it with Android as well in case it's an iOS issue and also tried it from the WiiM App as well as Amazon Music App.

It looks like it's going to play and say's I'm connected to whichever speaker group it is but after 30 seconds / a minute, the media player reverts to pause, you can press the play buttin again and it goes through the process of trying again and then goes back to paused and the input on the amp switches to say there's no optical input ... inessence it just won't play at all.

If I pick each one of the group individually it works fine so it is just a multiroom issue.

thomasward00

I'm not bothering with streamers and their hit-and-miss DRM and limitations (especially since I don't subscribe to any paid internet music), when I can just use simple BT+LDAC or remote screen control on another far more flexible device to a USB DAC.
You aren't streaming lossless music for free, why are you looking at streamers? I bought the Wiim because I want up to 24/192 Quality via optical to my DAC.
If you're just listening to free losssy music, just use a smart TV or Bluetooth.

Witterings

A reply from WiiM Support re playing Ultra HD to multi-room

We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused!
Now we don't support multi-room playback with Amazon Music HD/UHD. Please check with the following solution to workaround this issue:
1. If you play Amazon Music HD/UHD with Multi-room group on WiiM Home app, please go to Browse -> Amazon Music -> Settings to turn off Amazon Music HD/UHD option. Meanwhile we will fix this issue in Aug 30th.
2. If you play Amazon Music HD/UHD with Alexa/Amazon Music cast Multi-room group, please go to Browse -> Amazon Alexa -> Settings to turn off Amazon Music HD/UHD option. Due to the limitation of the memory flash size, now we can't integrate the Alexa Multi-room group SDK with Amazon Music HD/UHD into WiiM Mini.
Our apologizes for the inconvenience caused and appreciate for your patience.

Brantome

Major Contributor
A reply from WiiM Support re playing Ultra HD to multi-room

We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused!
Now we don't support multi-room playback with Amazon Music HD/UHD. Please check with the following solution to workaround this issue:
1. If you play Amazon Music HD/UHD with Multi-room group on WiiM Home app, please go to Browse -> Amazon Music -> Settings to turn off Amazon Music HD/UHD option. Meanwhile we will fix this issue in Aug 30th.
2. If you play Amazon Music HD/UHD with Alexa/Amazon Music cast Multi-room group, please go to Browse -> Amazon Alexa -> Settings to turn off Amazon Music HD/UHD option. Due to the limitation of the memory flash size, now we can't integrate the Alexa Multi-room group SDK with Amazon Music HD/UHD into WiiM Mini.
Our apologizes for the inconvenience caused and appreciate for your patience.

Not sure what point 1 is saying tbh, and no. 2 is disappointing, but I guess they were always going to hit a limit at some point given the range of features this small unit already supports :(

Maybe the upcoming WiiM Pro will have the capacity for this feature

Witterings

Not sure what point 1 is saying tbh, and no. 2 is disappointing, but I guess they were always going to hit a limit at some point given the range of features this small unit already supports :(

Maybe the upcoming WiiM Pro will have the capacity for this feature

I have asked them for clarification as overall the answer wasn't very clear and if the "memory flash size" isn't an issue with the WiiM App I can't see why it would be with the Amazon App .... personally I really don't like the WiiM App in comparison.

Must admit if you can't I'd be really dissapointed, my reasons for buying these was to replace my Chromecast Audios using them for multi-room with the promise of Ultra HD in the future which CCA wasn't offereing combined with you can't cast to CCA's from the Amazon App with iOS.

Brantome

Major Contributor
I have asked them for clarification as overall the answer wasn't very clear and if the "memory flash size" isn't an issue with the WiiM App I can't see why it would be with the Amazon App .... personally I really don't like the WiiM App in comparison.

Must admit if you can't I'd be really dissapointed, my reasons for buying these was to replace my Chromecast Audios using them for multi-room with the promise of Ultra HD in the future which CCA wasn't offereing combined with you can't cast to CCA's from the Amazon App with iOS.
I also think their response may be confusing WiiM multi room that the WiiM app would use and Alexa MRM multi room music groups which the amazon music app/AlexaCast would use - for example, I can’t see how I could choose an Alexa MRM in the WiiM app. Clarifying their use of the term “multi room” might help explain their difficulty in implementing the latter - which goes back to an earlier comment I made about implementing Amazon’s MRM receiver/sender model for multi room music groups.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Finally, the long-promised casting from the Amazon app in lossless quality is a reality! Too bad the Amazon app is so piss poor. I’m sticking with Tidal, which has the album reviews and bios totally lacking at Amazon, but essential for jazz lovers.
Yep the only downside of Tidal is MQA.

But other than that, Tidal has top notch user experience - good enough to make me forget about MQA.

Will be interesting to watch Amazon's app development progress. I keep telling myself they'll make a big push soon (they have the resources) but it just doesn't happen

Apart from the great looking and fast UI/UX on iOS/iPadOS, with Tidal Connect I can edit the play queue!

And gapless playback has been working long time with Tidal Connect

Come on Amazon.

Last edited:

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have both Amazon HD and tidal hifi plus which include master. No matter what songs I choose tidal master sound good to my ear despite it was just 44.1. Sound wise tidal sound warm on the side of neutral and amazon has lots detail which sound forward.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Correct. This is a WiiM Mini bug with Tidal Connect, as I mentioned above, with Atmos.

In cases where you cannot choose format/quality options, if there is Atmos, it won't work with Tidal Connect.

There is Atmos everywhere now and growing massively every week.

WiiM have now fixed this Atmos Tidal Connect bug that I discovered - nice.

1660736976675.png

derek13

I haven't seen it explicitly mentioned but with the new feature of Amazon Music HD/Ultra now working when casting from the Amazon Music App it also supports the highres stream when invoked by voice from an Alexa Echo device linked to the WiiM Mini.

Top Bottom