• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Wonder if changing your country set to a USA address might get round that, but that might screw up kindle library subscriptions for one thing (although you can move them back). That route is often used for Alexa users to point to the USA Alexa servers so they can get access to features other regions like the UK don't have.
Edit: on that same theme, do the entries for country in that setting match the country under Amazon Music account country/region under Your Music Subscriptions in your Amazon account? I feel there's a mismatch somewhere that's causing it not to work
I had both country regions set to Poland for Alexa and Music subscription. I've changed Alexa region to US temporarily but it didn't fix the issue. I cannot change my Music assignment without Customer Support.

It looks like @meszrum is absolutely right, our country is simply not supported for audio casting from Music to Alexa devices, although Alexa service is aware of our music subscription and can handle it correctly.

Witterings

I am EU resident (PL) - I suppose the issue persists because of a country issue (Amazon Music subscription is linked to PL, but the Alexa may not be linked to PL).

To reset all me devices to get Ultra HD I logged out of both Amazon Alexa and Amazon Music on all my devices including the Apps on my tablet / phone, I can't remember which part asked me but when I went to log back in it asked me if I was English US which I used the drop down menu to change it to English UK and obviopusly setting it to another region.
It's not something simple as that is it?

@Brantome ... cheers for that above re Ultra HD :)

Brantome

Major Contributor
I had both country regions set to Poland for Alexa and Music subscription. I've changed Alexa region to US temporarily but it didn't fix the issue. I cannot change my Music assignment without Customer Support.

It looks like @meszrum is absolutely right, our country is simply not supported for audio casting from Music to Alexa devices, although Alexa service is aware of our music subscription and can handle it correctly.
That’s unfortunate if that‘s the case. Looks like AlexaCast is the culprit, as strictly speaking, Alexa doesn’t use that when you make a music request of it - the term only arose when the feature was released for the amazon music app long after Alexa itself supported amazon music.

meszrum

This is how Amazon Music app (Android) looks with subscription assigned to Poland. Clearly Alexa is missing at the bottom, so my guess is that it (cast functionality) is on Amazon side. It is beyond WiiM developers. This leads me to the reflection that Polish AM subscribers can forget about casting pleasure for some time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220815-163410.png
    Screenshot_20220815-163410.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 72

Brantome

Major Contributor
This is how Amazon Music app (Android) looks with subscription assigned to Poland. Clearly Alexa is missing at the bottom, so my guess is that it (cast functionality) is on Amazon side. It is beyond WiiM developers. This leads me to the reflection that Polish AM subscribers can forget about casting pleasure for some time.
Yeah, you don’t have the “talk to Alexa” icon that I have in the UK, so it does look like the app in Poland is “Alexa-less” which would inhibit AlexaCast as well :(
At least the WiiM app appears to give full access to Amazon Music and your own library, including your playlists, that other implementations don’t - well, at least I assume it does.

meszrum

Exactly, WiiM is a great device. Being it gapless in the near future for AM is everything I could ever ask for. Especially taking into consideration how pricey comptetitors are usually abandoned in terms of any development by its creators just after hitting the market.

Brantome and onlyoneme - I kindly thank you for your time.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Exactly, WiiM is a great device. Being it gapless in the near future for AM is everything I could ever ask for. Especially taking into consideration how pricey comptetitors are usually abandoned in terms of any development by its creators just after hitting the market.

It’s good to share thoughts and experiences - thanks

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

When you open Music page directly from amazon.pl
you can see that casting feature should be available for us:

1660576013233.png

I'm not going to give up :)

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Opened a ticket with Tidal back in May; attempting to Tidal Connect to the WiiM on any 64-bit version of ChromeOS would crash the Tidal (Android) app (32-bit versions worked fine). This morning's update finally fixes that, able to connect without issue. WiiM also added the bitrate for Tidal Connect, though it looks like my Raspberry Pi app isn't displaying it - grrrr...

Anyhoo, it's nice to have Tidal on a 27" display, casting to the WiiM, but it definitely isn't (yet) optimized for big screens...

1660576303840.png

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If Wiim pro comes with Ethernet, usb, coax and toslink along with all the features on current wiim, it will take big market share plus at affordable price.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
When you open Music page directly from amazon.pl
you can see that casting feature should be available for us:

View attachment 224331

I'm not going to give up :)
And I've got it working :)

I've uninstalled Alexa apps and Music apps from my iOS and Android devices. I've logged out from Alexa on WiiM.
I've deleted everything Alexa and Music related from Manage Your Content and Devices on amazon.com.
I've created UK address on amazon.com, then I've changed my region there to UK and I've agreed to move my default Kindle store also to UK. Since now everything Alexa related is on Manage Your Content and Devices section of amazon.co.uk.

Now I started to install again, Alexa app first, then Music app. When I opened Alexa app I was not able to play on my tablet from Amazon Music section. I've went to Music & Podcast setting and I've assigned Amazon Music to my default service again. After that I was able to play directly on my tablet in Alexa app.

Next step was WiiM setup for Alexa, I've chosen English UK.
After that I was still able to play on the tablet in Alexa app, but I couldn't select WiiM. So I've went to Music & Podcast setting again nd I've assigned Amazon Music to my default service once more. As a result I get the ability to play on WiiM in Alexa app.

And WiiM has appeared in Music app as well :)

1660578292130.png

I'm pretty sure most of those steps could be not necessary, I just described everything I did.

Brantome

Major Contributor
And I've got it working :)

I've uninstalled Alexa apps and Music apps from my iOS and Android devices. I've logged out from Alexa on WiiM.
I've deleted everything Alexa and Music related from Manage Your Content and Devices on amazon.com.
I've created UK address on amazon.com, then I've changed my region there to UK and I've agreed to move my default Kindle store also to UK. Since now everything Alexa related is on Manage Your Content and Devices section of amazon.co.uk.

Now I started to install again, Alexa app first, then Music app. When I opened Alexa app I was not able to play on my tablet from Amazon Music section. I've went to Music & Podcast setting and I've assigned Amazon Music to my default service again. After that I was able to play directly on my tablet in Alexa app.

Next step was WiiM setup for Alexa, I've chosen English UK.
After that I was still able to play on the tablet in Alexa app, but I couldn't select WiiM. So I've went to Music & Podcast setting again nd I've assigned Amazon Music to my default service once more. As a result I get the ability to play on WiiM in Alexa app.

And WiiM has appeared in Music app as well :)

View attachment 224337

I'm pretty sure most of those steps could be not necessary, I just described everything I did.

Well done - as I mentioned, changing your region to USA, for example, is how Alexa users in the UK often switch to be able to access USA features, but the crucial thing after doing that (which I forgot to mention) was to log out of the Alexa app and back in so it redirects it to the USA Alexa. You’ve more or less done the same/reverse to access Uk Alexa.

Enjoy :)

AKR

Guys i cant get 2 way bluetooth to work with latest frimware. So the chain is
iphone -> bluetooth wiim mini -> blueetoth wiim ->to denon AVR 250 BT -> no sound
iphone bluetooth -> Denon avr250bt works ..
the good bit with latest firmware is that bit perfect works perfectly now over plex so thats cool, just wanted to test the bt functionality for those times when i want to bypass my dac / amp for convenience.
So in my set up Spotify/Apple Music —>WiiM—>Bluetooth output —> BL Speaker, works fine. But the TWS ( true wireless stereo) between the two speakers does not work. I have repaired etc but no dice. BL Speakers work fine with iPhone/ iPad BL streamed directly to them.
Whole thing is odd as I thought the TWS codex has only one speaker getting the stream from a BL transmitter which then links to the other speaker, but this does not work when receiving from WiiM as opposed to any other device.
Have opened a ticket.

thibodeaux

Anyone else get taken off the beta with the latest update? I just got home from vacation and when I launched the WIIM app I was greeted with a notice of the updated firmware (4.6.426049) - I was previously on the latest beta (4.6.424953) and digging the gapless playback for Amazon Music HD/UHD within the WiiM Home app. Now that's not there any longer. Not sure if there are any other differences or why I got "upgraded", and am curious if this happened to anyone else...

graxxus

I've been impressed over the past few months with my Wiim which replaced a Sonos into MiniDSP. The app has seen steady improvement and now ultra hd via Amazon.

Last night however has me questioning that a bit. I use my Wiim for volume control. Last night, it started playing music that I had not initiated and the volume ramped to 100%. Fortunately, I have my MiniDSP output down (-25 db) so that it didn't damage things, but it sure got loud before I got the Wiim app open and paused playback. Somehow, a song was initiated via Spotify to my Wiim and then the volume cranked up. I'd guess a neighbor accidentally sending to it -- however, I have never paired any BT or other device to my Wiim. Also confirmed nobody else on my network.

Top Bottom