• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

meszrum

Yes, I have exactly the same issue as onlyoneme.
Alexa app sees WiiM Mini device and recognizes my Amazon Music subscription. Alexa app can cast to the WiiM Mini.
The Amazon Music does not see the WiiM Mini device.

I am EU resident (PL) - I suppose the issue persists because of a country issue (Amazon Music subscription is linked to PL, but the Alexa may not be linked to PL).

I can cast to the three different Chromecast devices that are active in my home network from within Amazon Music app.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Yes, I have exactly the same issue as onlyoneme.
Alexa app sees WiiM Mini device and recognizes my Amazon Music subscription. Alexa app can cast to the WiiM Mini.
The Amazon Music does not see the WiiM Mini device.

I am EU resident (PL) - I suppose the issue persists because of a country issue (Amazon Music subscription is linked to PL, but the Alexa may not be linked to PL).

I can cast to the three different Chromecast devices that are active in my home network from within Amazon Music app.
So we share the same basis - music subscription assigned to PL. And that's probably the reason as you said. Pity no one in Amazon has confirmed it to me.

Witterings

As a general question when does it become classified as HD or Ultra HD

Quite surprised at some tracks such as She - Harry Styles and Bruises - Lewis Capaldi are listed as Ultra HD but play at 24/44.1 (picked trackes recorded in recent times thinking they'd be higher quality) and yet some older tracks such as Make It With You - Bread and Walk of Life - Dire Straights, both play at 24/192 with Summer of 69 – Bryan Adams and Baba O’Riley – The Who falling in between at 24/96

mediocrebutarrogant

Guys i cant get 2 way bluetooth to work with latest frimware. So the chain is
iphone -> bluetooth wiim mini -> blueetoth wiim ->to denon AVR 250 BT -> no sound
iphone bluetooth -> Denon avr250bt works ..
the good bit with latest firmware is that bit perfect works perfectly now over plex so thats cool, just wanted to test the bt functionality for those times when i want to bypass my dac / amp for convenience.

mediocrebutarrogant

I’m sure this link has been posted earlier in this thread:

”Well, here it comes: The WiiM Pro will arrive later this year at a $149 target price, says Zhao.”

now if they can just implement USB out with MQA passthrough , we are at end game streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
I can AirPlay on iOS and I can cast to chromecasts on Android. I have no Alexa enabled players other than WiiM so it's not possible to compare.
There wouldn't be any clear logic to it (like lots of amazon stuff) but I wonder if the presence of a real echo triggers it e.g it gives up looking if it can't find at least one echo. Grabbing at straws I know...

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
There wouldn't be any clear logic to it (like lots of amazon stuff) but I wonder if the presence of a real echo triggers it e.g it gives up looking if it can't find at least one echo. Grabbing at straws I know...
Kind of a hidden requirement? That would be nasty... but who knows, you can be right cause big corporations are pure evil...

Brantome

Major Contributor
As a general question when does it become classified as HD or Ultra HD

Quite surprised at some tracks such as She - Harry Styles and Bruises - Lewis Capaldi are listed as Ultra HD but play at 24/44.1 (picked trackes recorded in recent times thinking they'd be higher quality) and yet some older tracks such as Make It With You - Bread and Walk of Life - Dire Straights, both play at 24/192 with Summer of 69 – Bryan Adams and Baba O’Riley – The Who falling in between at 24/96
"HD tracks have a bit depth of 16-bits, a minimum sample rate of 44.1 kHz (also referred to as CD-quality), and an average bitrate of 850 kbps. Ultra HD tracks have a bit depth of 24 bits, sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps."

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yup, it seems to be country assignment issue then.
When you go into the Alexa app more/ settings/ about, is the host name pointing to alexa.amazon.pl and your music subscription with amazon.pl, as devices and subscriptions need to be in the same account? Weird though that Alexa can use the WiiM but the music app can't...
Could be an authorization bug in the WiiM app that WiiM can help investigate

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
When you go into the Alexa app more/ settings/ about, is the host name pointing to alexa.amazon.pl and your music subscription with amazon.pl, as devices and subscriptions need to be in the same account? Weird though that Alexa can use the WiiM but the music app can't...
It's pointing to na-api-alexa.amazon.com and alexa.amazon.com in my case. We cannot see Alexa devices through amazon.pl website, we must use amazon.com. And there I have my current country set to Poland in Manage Your Content and Devices preferences.

I've asked WiiM support to help yesterday as well.

Brantome

Major Contributor
It's pointing to na-api-alexa.amazon.com and alexa.amazon.com in my case. We cannot see Alexa devices through amazon.pl website, we must use amazon.com. And there I have my current country set to Poland in Manage Your Content and Devices preferences.

Wonder if changing your country set to a USA address might get round that, but that might screw up kindle library subscriptions for one thing (although you can move them back). That route is often used for Alexa users to point to the USA Alexa servers so they can get access to features other regions like the UK don't have.
Edit: on that same theme, do the entries for country in that setting match the country under Amazon Music account country/region under Your Music Subscriptions in your Amazon account? I feel there's a mismatch somewhere that's causing it not to work

Last edited:

meszrum

Thank you for your time and involvement - when I go to the Alexa 'About' the 'Host Name' is alexa.amazon.com.

I created test account @UK Amazon and in the Amazon Music app (after signing in) the Alexa icon appeared (right at the bottom). When I sign in with my PL account of Amazon Music into Amazon Music app there is no Alexa icon.
It is clear that Alexa is not supported in Amazon Music PL and thus casting is not possible.

MCH

Major Contributor

The way Amazon music works is different countries can get very complicated. As they explained it to me there are countries that have their own service and others that get the service from amazon.com through the "international version" devices. I don't know if this is related to your issue with the wiim but could well be. The bad news is that all this is obscure even to many amazon customer service guys, you need to be lucky to talk to the right person if you need they help you with these details. Theis websites don't have much info either. Here for instance there is something:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Thank you for your time and involvement - when I go to the Alexa 'About' the 'Host Name' is alexa.amazon.com.

I created test account @UK Amazon and in the Amazon Music app (after signing in) the Alexa icon appeared (right at the bottom). When I sign in with my PL account of Amazon Music into Amazon Music app there is no Alexa icon.
It is clear that Alexa is not supported in Amazon Music PL and thus casting is not possible.
Yeah, I edited my reply above - there's a disjoint somewhere :(

Top Bottom