• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Merifon

The meaning of "jitter" should be specified.
Is jitter the error resulting after domain change, conseguence of any undesired variation of a given signal, or is jitter that variation itself?
In the first case you can manage the error ad make it disappear, so no jitter.
In second case you can still manage the error to get the same result but you can say jitter is still present, it's side effects no.
A sort of semantic debate...

Merifon

Interesting. As supposed, jitter is everywhere but can be pushed to inconsistency.
On conclusions is also written:
" Several consumer DAC units have been examined - only one of which behaves in an appropriate manner when fed by a digital signal with jitter".
Since is dated 1992, is supposed that much more dac are now processing better...

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Interesting. As supposed, jitter is everywhere but can be pushed to inconsistency.
On conclusions is also written:
" Several consumer DAC units have been examined - only one of which behaves in an appropriate manner when fed by a digital signal with jitter".
Since is dated 1992, is supposed that much more dac are now processing better...
Which also means that the statement I've referred before is false, as the behavior depends on the dac's ability to handle input jitter level so that it could be not hearable or even not measurable. It can be achieved or not achieved.

Music1969

Major Contributor
as the behavior depends on the dac's ability to handle input jitter level so that it could be not hearable or even not measurable.
You are not breaking any news on this thread.

Way before you chimed in here, we've already discussed that "Jitter only matters at the point of D to A and A to D"

Back on topic of WiiM Mini - discussing jitter is irrelevant. Find a DAC that makes jitter immeasurable. There are many to choose from.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

Way before you chimed in here, we've already discussed that "Jitter only matters at the point of D to A and A to D"

Back on topic of WiiM Mini - discussing jitter is irrelevant. Find a DAC that makes jitter immeasurable. There are many to choose from.
I'm pretty sure I'm not breaking any news here. I just point out your statement which was not correct. And, if you don't remember, it was in the context of different streamers and one unspecified dac, not WiiM Mini exclusively. If you prefer to refuse it it's up to you, nothing personal from my side.

Brantome

Major Contributor

Yeah, it's like Groundhog day :rolleyes:

Maybe there should be a separate jitter thread and we can get back to important things here like Amazon Music, gapless and, God forbid, MQA... ;):p:D

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Yeah, it's like Groundhog day :rolleyes:

Maybe there should be a separate jitter thread and we can get back to important things here like Amazon Music, gapless and, God forbid, MQA... ;):p:D
Nah, there is no way that anyone cares about Amazon Music here :p

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yes, iOS but wondering if EQ can only be use on analog out or both?
It would make sense to apply that to the incoming file then direct the output either to the SPDIF output, or to the internal DAC and from there to the analogue outputs, so both would be my guess

mediocrebutarrogant

What about some cheap DAC to use only for metering and then put apart?
Do you know a very cheap DAC which displays both the bit depth and sample rate?
I would use it just like a tester.
Topping D10s is a usb to spidif/optical converter, you can use that to achieve the results you are looking for in a roundabout way

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have both amazon UHD and tidal hifi plus but going back and forth using highest setting on same artwork/album tidal has more pronounced bass and extended decay which I like. Anyone hearing same thing?

telemike

I have both amazon UHD and tidal hifi plus but going back and forth using highest setting on same artwork/album tidal has more pronounced bass and extended decay which I like. Anyone hearing same thing?
You would ideally want to measure and make sure both streams are at the same volume level. If one is louder, we tend to think that one is better.

Merifon

If I remind well, I found such noticeable difference on Talking Heads "Speaking in tongue".
Tidal was louder and with more basses than LP, Spotify and Qobuz. Other songs I tryed did not have such difference. Nevertheless I stay on Tidal for better use experience, among "near lossless" services.

Last edited:

Witterings

You would ideally want to measure and make sure both streams are at the same volume level. If one is louder, we tend to think that one is better.

Do agree with this, I was recently testing speakers back to back and thought one was much better when they were both played at higher levels but thought the "better pair muffled" at background listening / lower levels.
I was only when I realised the better ones needed an extra click on the volume to achieve the same sound level making them overall better all round.

meszrum

I use WiiM Mini as a transport for Amazon Music UHD to the DAC (Yamaha CD-S2100). For local NAS playback I use Yamaha WXC-50 as a transport. Since WXC-50 does not support Amazon Music I gave WiiM a try.

WiiM is capable of streaming 24-192 to the DAC via Toslink, however it was not possible with the bundle cable that came with WiiM (24-192 was stuttering and skipping while lower kHz was just fine). I had to change the cable for the AudioQuest Pearl optical one to have the 24-192 playback.
The CD-S2100's DPLL bandwidth had to be set to the High setting.

Top Bottom