• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Merifon

The app has an internal test sample when you set the quality at Audio Settings. I had to try a couple of times to get the test sample to play, having Wiim Mini connected to RME ADI-2 DAC.
I don't remember any problem on set-up phase, anyway it should easy to find some song at 192 and do an effective tive "road test".
Maybe they have some quality check issue. For exemple the first wiim I get, had a broken toslink flap and even it worked, I preferred to do a return.

JimmyMac

How you doing it if they haven’t released Mqa pass through yet
I believe it's always allowed pass through, as long as your DAC can accept MQA data through the optical. Not all MQA-capable dacs can do MQA through optical. I believe WIIM is working on an enhancement that will perform the first unfold (but not 100% sure on that). That would allow non-MQA dacs to at least get hi-res Tidal data through the optical out. Someone please correct me if any of this is wrong!

mediocrebutarrogant

I believe it's always allowed pass through, as long as your DAC can accept MQA data through the optical. Not all MQA-capable dacs can do MQA through optical. I believe WIIM is working on an enhancement that will perform the first unfold (but not 100% sure on that). That would allow non-MQA dacs to at least get hi-res Tidal data through the optical out. Someone please correct me if any of this is wrong!
E50 can accept MQA for second unfold, with first unfold happening on tidal app but on optical tidal connect implementation on WiiM does not allow MQA streaming as of now , so really not sure how you are doing any of it

JimmyMac

E50 can accept MQA for second unfold, with first unfold happening on tidal app but on optical tidal connect implementation on WiiM does not allow MQA streaming as of now , so really not sure how you are doing any of it
Maybe the Topping E50 can't do Tidal MQA through the optical input? Gustard X18 definitely can, based on my experience so far. I guess there aren't that many MQA dacs that can do MQA through optical and coax inputs, like the X18.

Found this on the Wiim website Roadmap page:

"Updates to be
released by 8/31

New Features:
  • Gapless playback for Amazon Music Ultra HD on WiiM Home App
  • Release WiiM Home App for PC and macOS
  • EQ to set 10-band audio EQ (Android)
  • TIDAL Master MQA (Beta) "

For the 8/31 release, I'm not sure if that means the Mini will now do the full unfold, and send to analog outputs. Or, do the first unfold and send over optical.
But either way, I'm currently getting the full unfold on my X18 dac, through optical from the WiiM Mini.

J Mac

Last edited:

mediocrebutarrogant

I don't remember any problem on set-up phase, anyway it should easy to find some song at 192 and do an effective tive "road test".
Maybe they have some quality check issue. For exemple the first wiim I get, had a broken toslink flap and even it worked, I preferred to do a return.
I did get it work with local file but not over tidal thanks for your suggestion!
EC25505C-0FE2-4D07-A1DA-0951ACE7C903.jpeg

Attachments

• 04B5304D-9333-4DAB-A8D1-568889E8AF65.png
    04B5304D-9333-4DAB-A8D1-568889E8AF65.png
    702.8 KB · Views: 74

mediocrebutarrogant

For the 8/31 release, I'm not sure if that means the Mini will now do the full unfold, and send to analog outputs. Or, do the first unfold and send over optical.
But either way, I'm currently getting the full unfold on my X18 dac, through optical from the WiiM Mini.

J Mac
How are you streaming Tidal to WiiM, what you are saying isn't technically possible as per wiim's own documentation

Music1969

Major Contributor
Compared to full MQA unfold on my topping e50 over usb using pass through Mqa ,to optical from WiiM mini is a downgrade at this point in time. till they support mqa pass through which still does not work. Also over optical to e50 I can only get 24 bit 96 KHz and not 192 which e50 is capable of ,so a bit underwhelming but ok for the convenience of tidal connect. In all ok but not as awesome as e50 over usb that’s not possible with WiiM over optical my 2cw but I might say equal to volumio usb with tidal connect on raspi4b

WiiM Mini does 'pass through' MQA already.

The problem isn't the WiiM Mini - it is as I described many pages back.

See here: #1,357

mediocrebutarrogant

Ok but tidal app does first unfold even then on optical it doesn’t do second unfold and WiiM themselves have said no Mqa pass through yet on tidal connect so I am sure we are missing something here

mediocrebutarrogant

Ok but tidal app does first unfold even then on optical it doesn’t do second unfold and WiiM themselves have said no Mqa pass through yet on tidal connect so I am sure we are missing something here

Also on WiiM home tidal it does first unfold so they are not passing through for second unfold

Attachments

• 7177514F-A0D6-464B-A783-9954E8C0DBB0.png
    7177514F-A0D6-464B-A783-9954E8C0DBB0.png
    635.3 KB · Views: 65

Music1969

Major Contributor
Also on WiiM home tidal it does first unfold so they are not passing through for second unfold
Generally with MQA talk, 'pass through' means no unfold.

What this means is 44.1k/48k is passed through with MQA signalling stipp embedded - so if you have a MQA Core decoder later in the chain, an unfold can happen.

So WiiM Mini has been passing through 44.1k/48k for many weeks already.

Tidal on WiiM Home does not do the 1st fold. You can see 48kHz there in your screenshot.

That is 'passed through' to your E30 which will show you 48kHz ? No unfold there.

If you had an SMSL M500 Mk2 which does full MQA decoding on all inputs, then you will get the full MQA experience.

There's a few other DACs that do this. I mentioned some before in this thread.

MQA 1st unfold (MQA Core Decode in official language) will come to WiiM Mini in the next couple months.

mediocrebutarrogant

Generally with MQA talk, 'pass through' means no unfold.

What this means is 44.1k/48k is passed through with MQA signalling stipp embedded - so if you have a MQA Core decoder later in the chain, an unfold can happen.

So WiiM Mini has been passing through 44.1k/48k for many weeks already.

Tidal on WiiM Home does not do the 1st fold. You can see 48kHz there in your screenshot.

That is 'passed through' to your E30 which will show you 48kHz ? No unfold there.

If you had an SMSL M500 Mk2 which does full MQA decoding on all inputs, then you will get the full MQA experience.

There's a few other DACs that do this. I mentioned some before in this thread.

MQA 1st unfold (MQA Core Decode in official language) will come to WiiM Mini in the next couple months.
What about tidal iphone app, i have E50 which has MQA renderer on optical. I know for sure Tidal iPhone app does first unfold and then over tidal connect to topping e50 should do second unfold but it’s not doing it

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about tidal iphone app, i have E50 which has MQA renderer on optical. I know for sure Tidal iPhone app does first unfold and then over tidal connect to topping e50 should do second unfold but it’s not doing it
By nature tidal apps does the first unfold and according to e50 it support renderer from which tidal app does and e50 complete the last unfold so why it’s not working?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Tidal app with USB DAC (or USB to optical converter) directly connected - Tidal app does 1st unfold.

Tidal app casting via Tidal Connect to WiiM Mini or any Tidal Connect streamer - never does 1st unfold, with any hardware.

So what you are seeing is completely normal.

There's no issues.

Just wait for WiiM Mini's MQA Core Decoder update in next 2 months. Then your E50 optical input will perform as MQA Renderer because the Core Decoder is WiiM Mini

WiiM Mini will then function like a Bluesound Node optical output, with Tidal Connect

I think your confusion comes from misunderstanding how unfold is currently working with your current stuff. And how it works with other streamers.

I have a Bluesound Node here so I know from practical experience.

Top Bottom