• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 229 48.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.3%

• Total voters

Overseas

Major Contributor
Very strange mention in the manual, point 12 below, does it mean to leave the setup on overnight?! Which night?

UPDATE THE SPEAKER ● The speaker updates automatically when connected to the WiiM Home app and to your Wi-Fi network. ● Upgrade from 2:00-5:00 a.m. During the silent upgrade, there should be no sound and no indication.

Overseas

Major Contributor
don't know, i experienced sometime updates at 13:00 GMT+1 interrupting listening and sometime deep night ones also...
It is ok for the Android app. But what about the device firmware, do I have to leave the device on and connected to WIFI at night?!

keiron99

I also have a Topping E30 and have compared it with and without and can’t discern much difference - although I think its better with the E30.
Hi there, are you saying you have in essence compared the internal DAV in the WiiM with the one in the Topping and couldn't detect much difference? (Planning on doing this myself when I get my hearing back in my left ear....)

Pauper

Hi there, are you saying you have in essence compared the internal DAV in the WiiM with the one in the Topping and couldn't detect much difference? (Planning on doing this myself when I get my hearing back in my left ear....)
Hi,
Yes,I meant that I have tried the Wiim > Topping > Denon DM41 and then Wiim straight to the Denon…but I now have a preference for the Topping - I think! I honestly don’t know if what I’m doing would make much difference to the end result.
The Wiim is a no brainier at the price though.

MechEngVic

4.6.439150 (Latest)

Release date:

12 / 19 / 2022

This update involves the following:

1. New Feature - Auto sensing of the Aux-in signal (Only detect when the device is idle and need turn it on with the latest App)

2. Improvement – Use 8.8.8.8 as the default DNS Server (Can be turned off with the App)

3. Improvement - Support the new requirement of Amazon Prime Music (Not Amazon Music Unlimited)

4. Improvement - BLE connection during the network setup

5. Improvement - Update new AirPlay 2 SDK and improve the experience of YouTube Music over AirPlay 2

6. Fixed – Rare random crash issues for the TIDAL Connect and Spotify Connect

7. Fixed - Playback stuttering for Aux-in

8. Other bug fixes and performance improvements

MechEngVic

I know you'll say it's just me, and I in theory agree, but when I compare listening to Amazon music through the WiiM app versus through the Amazon app casting through Alexa, the wiim app sounds better.

The wiim app also finds songs faster.

Last edited:

Merifon

I know you'll say it's just me, and I in theory agree, but when I compare listening to Amazon music through the WiiM app versus through the Amazon app casting through Alexa, the wiim app sounds better.

The wiim app also finds songs faster.
If not already done, there are two set-up switch to enable for UHD from Amazon and alexa.
One in device setting of app, the other in browse>amazon music>settings

waveuk

I have been using Roon for some years, mainly for streaming convenience. Due to price and that while I use Qubuz other in the family use Spotify I been trying to see some other stream options.

I got a Wiim Mini a few days ago. While streaming works very well I am a bit disappointed with SQ. I hear significantly more floor noise thank Roon ==> RPi (USB)

Not sure if just my setup bud does other have the same issue? Also should a Bluesound Node have better SQ? In any case I use a Qutest DAC.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have been using Roon for some years, mainly for streaming convenience. Due to price and that while I use Qubuz other in the family use Spotify I been trying to see some other stream options.

I got a Wiim Mini a few days ago. While streaming works very well I am a bit disappointed with SQ. I hear significantly more floor noise thank Roon ==> RPi (USB)

Not sure if just my setup bud does other have the same issue? Also should a Bluesound Node have better SQ? In any case I use a Qutest DAC.
Nope, no noise with either (into RME DAC)

waveuk

Thanks for your answers.

Sorry my mistake, I was not refering to the noise when speaker is on and music not playing but background noise while playing.

I have done more tests and the Wiim is considerably noiser than the RPi

Brantome

Major Contributor
Thanks for your answers.

Sorry my mistake, I was not refering to the noise when speaker is on and music not playing but background noise while playing.

I have done more tests and the Wiim is considerably noiser than the RPi
How is the WiiM connected? Its digital outputs should be bit perfect so if you’re using those, optical in particular, what would cause the noise?

Last edited:

waveuk

It is connected via optical to the DAC hence why do not understand. This is more noticeable with 192 kHz songs.

The DAC shows 192 kHz both via Wiim or Roon so optical cable seams OK.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
It is connected via optical to the DAC hence why do not understand. This is more noticeable with 192 kHz songs.

The DAC shows 192 kHz both via Wiim or Roon so optical cable seams OK.
I have used a Pi with a digital hat into the coax input of my ADI-2 DAC FS, and compared it to the WiiM Mini into the optical port. There's absolutely zero difference in background noise, as it should be given that both have noise levels well below audibility.

morillon

Major Contributor

you are not specific enough...
personally.. I don't really understand your installations and the nature of your "comparisons", setup of softwares etc
;-)
(ps
not really known but the mini does not really manage 32 bits .. small precaution to know)
(and even if I know it's surprising, it would be good to try another optical fiber than the one provided.. especially if you want to go from 192..
at least to remove this from the equation)

Last edited:
Top Bottom