• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Shouldn't it be ca. 146 db thd+n like i.e. the HDMI extractor amir just reviewed?
With an AP tester, probably. With my jury-rigged setup, there's probably a few dB of added noise. Still, the WiiM Mini is more than good enough for HiFi.

morillon

Major Contributor
if you make mesureament just in adi..you found near 141db....
your methode is...a little "special" ;-))

MPod

As a testimonial to the seductive power of the measurement-based reviews found on ASR (I consider myself addicted), I upgraded from my old Sanskrit DAC, Adcom GFA-555 amp in a black friday-fueled buying frenzy. I am now the proud owner of a SMSL DO100 DAC, 2 LA90 amps in monoblock mode, driving Monitor Audio MA3 MkIIs (speakers which I bought used from a crazed audiophile colleague over 30 years ago!). Even through the raucous ringing in my ears, I can say the new equipment has breathed some life into those old english beauties! Very, very nice. Now, since upgrades beget upgrades, what I wanted was a cheap, bit-perfect wi-fi streaming device that could easily access the ripped FLAC library sitting on the PC in the laundry room/home office. Enter the WiiM mini, which based on this review and strategic Cyber Monday incentives, had me once again adding to Amazon's sizeable coffers. A day later (love that Prime!), I open the box, and I see that small puck plus a Toslink cable and USB cable/charger included - nice! So how does it work? Pretty, pretty good! Setup using my iphone was easy, and the WiiM app has a straightforward, clean interface. I expected to be disappointed, but I sure wasn't. I pick Home Music Server from the browse tab, and voila, there is my PC. Pick music, folders - look at that , there's my FLAC folder! Scroll through the albums - choose Lyle Lovett & His Large Band, hit play, and just like a good old fashioned CD player, I can play the album as Lyle intended, unshuffled with appropriate pauses between tracks and all! Did I mention it sounds good? It does (and that recording in particular) - a keeper for sure. The only downside is that I now realize how bad many of the recordings on the CD's I bought over the years are. Yikes! Of course now I'm thinking....what's all this about hi-res audio?...hmmm...wonder if I could hear a difference? I imagine I would...

WillBrink

Looks as if the community does not value Roon as much as Amir. Might be interesting to take a poll in an effort to determine percent Roon users in our community.

If one is already invested using Roon, it would make sense those people would not want to use this unit. Personally, I use Roon in my main system and the Wiim in a casual listening small system in my office/gym and the app from Wiim, which is fine too for that use.

timmo

If one is already invested using Roon, it would make sense those people would not want to use this unit. Personally, I use Roon in my main system and the Wiim in a casual listening small system in my office/gym and the app from Wiim, which is fine too for that use.
I’m looking forward to this unit being a Roon Ready endpoint (for both headphones and main listening zone along with multi-room). Hoping for a much better/cleaner experience than having to use Airplay. What I like about WiiM is the app pulling in multiple services that I enjoy listening to and easily switch between, including SiriusXM (soon I hope!), Tidal, Amazon HD, Radio Paradise, and Pandora (you can laugh but I love it and it sounds great on WiiM) … instead of just using the Roon app which only supports Tidal and Deezer (the Roon app is great - don’t get me wrong … but WiiM is great for when I want to use multiple services in addition to my Roon library). I almost bought the Bluesound Node earlier this year until I heard about the WiiM Mini, and have been a happy WiiMi ever since :)

Pauper

I have just purchased the Wiim mini as I couldn’t resist giving it a go for 79 quid.
Set up was straightforward enough for a Luddite like me.
I also have a Topping E30 and have compared it with and without and can’t discern much difference - although I think its better with the E30.
The Wiim app seems generic as it resembles the ones you get with the free version of Volumio…it’s basic but works.
One of the reasons for my purchase is we have Amazon Music for our three Echo Dots and the Wiim accommodates this service.
I must say for this 71 year old I’m happy overall, although I have no idea what bitrates it’s playing at etc..I’ve not got that far yet!

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
I’m looking forward to this unit being a Roon Ready endpoint (for both headphones and main listening zone along with multi-room). Hoping for a much better/cleaner experience than having to use Airplay. What I like about WiiM is the app pulling in multiple services that I enjoy listening to and easily switch between, including SiriusXM (soon I hope!), Tidal, Amazon HD, Radio Paradise, and Pandora (you can laugh but I love it and it sounds great on WiiM) … instead of just using the Roon app which only supports Tidal and Deezer (the Roon app is great - don’t get me wrong … but WiiM is great for when I want to use multiple services in addition to my Roon library). I almost bought the Bluesound Node earlier this year until I heard about the WiiM Mini, and have been a happy WiiMi ever since :)
Roon Ready won’t do anything for Amazon Music as I don’t believe it supports it.

timmo

Roon Ready won’t do anything for Amazon Music as I don’t believe it supports it.
Agreed - I didn’t state that it would in my comment. I just said that I like using the WiiM app because of the multiple services it offers to switch between (with Roon Ready in the future being one of them), whereas the Roon app is limited with other services it integrates for music listening enjoyment.

Brantome

Major Contributor
And it’s out of stock
It’s not been in stock and they’re still taking orders even though it’s showing as “temporarily out of stock”. In the UK, it’s showing as “currently unavailable” and they’re not taking orders.

It’s just a holding position till stock arrives, hopefully by the end of this week.

morillon

Major Contributor
for the first time ... attempt to update a new firmware .... which gets stuck "failed"
always for now
your case too?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
for the first time ... attempt to update a new firmware .... which gets stuck "failed"
always for now
your case too?
Weird a bit, I'm expecting beta 4.6.437849... probably 437934 wasn't ready for being distributed yet.

Lasker

Update failed, I received this message on app, but now if I go on the setting-speaker option to see my actually firmware version seems the update is on, mine show firmw vers 4.6.437954

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Update failed, I received this message on app, but now if I go on the setting-speaker option to see my actually firmware version seems the update is on, mine show firmw vers 4.6.437954
After a few tries it will probably disappear.

Lasker

After a few tries it will probably disappear.
I closed the app and I disconnected and then reconnected the WiIM USB and it still appears as if the firmware was already installed despite the error message. In fact, I no longer receive messages for a possible update.

Top Bottom