• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Question - I use a Topping D10s DAC that I would like to connect to the Wiim. The problem is the Topping only has a usb-c input, as it's coax is an output. So i would have to use the usb-c to connect the two. Will sound quality be as good with usb-c as with coax? I only see amir reviewing analogue and coax outputs, not usb-c
The USB-C on the WiiM Mini is strictly for power.

telemike

Question - I use a Topping D10s DAC that I would like to connect to the Wiim. The problem is the Topping only has a usb-c input, as it's coax is an output. So i would have to use the usb-c to connect the two. Will sound quality be as good with usb-c as with coax? I only see amir reviewing analogue and coax outputs, not usb-c

You'll need a DAC with Optical In. or use the analog 1/8" stereo out. I have the Topping E30 and it works great.

DeepSpace57

Don't derail the topic. We wanna a new DEEZER API that is not buggy.

Keep your promise Wiim !!!

DHT 845

1. When using tidal app on Ipad (native tidal app) will Ipad see wiim device so than Ipad be just like a remote control for tidal navigation and sending music from wiim to DAC via optical out?
2. Does wiim output native 44.1 khz from tidal or 48kHz via optical?

DHT 845

Sorry for ignorance but the same questions for Apple TV device (2nd gen 2012 with optical out).. :)

Merifon

1. When using tidal app on Ipad (native tidal app) will Ipad see wiim device so than Ipad be just like a remote control for tidal navigation and sending music from wiim to DAC via optical out?
2. Does wiim output native 44.1 khz from tidal or 48kHz via optical?
I use an old iPhone 6s and an android also. Wiim is toslink connected to external dac.
With both of mobiles, I can control what Tidal connect is playing, from native app and from wiim app even contemporary. The stream is native 44.1 of Tidal hi-fi.
I think you could do the same with your iPad.

DHT 845

I use an old iPhone 6s and an android also. Wiim is toslink connected to external dac.
With both of mobiles, I can control what Tidal connect is playing, from native app and from wiim app even contemporary. The stream is native 44.1 of Tidal hi-fi.
I think you could do the same with your iPad.
Thank you!

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm realizing that when I cast via the Amazon Music app, the volume control on my phone doesn't work. It only works when using the Wiim app. Is this a known issue?

thebigbeat90

Apologies if this has already been addressed: it is stated that the Wiim supports "TIDAL's HiFi and master quality (no MQA)". Does this mean it will play tidal master quality or not? Isn't master quality and MQA the same thing?

Turambar

It means that, currently, Wiim is able to pass to an external DAC the MQA code embedded in the Tidal master file.

If this external DAC is able to decode MQA via its optical input, then the decoding will take place.

Additionally, WiiM is working to be able to perform the first unfold, i.e. using an external DAC a renderer instead of a decoder will complete the MQA processing, or at least you will get the first unfold completed for a non-MQA external DAC.

Phrangko

Well well it appears Amir's minions are up in arms for the puck. I'm not surprised. The Wiim performs magnificently using an external DAC. Purchasing one little streamer having a decent app will not burn the wallet which is pretty awesome. The 'detailed' review however did less harm for the Wiim and plentiful endorsement for Roon. Tsk tsk

Phrangko

Right. I just don't know a use case for streaming Bluetooth to my DAC. I have two DACs with Bluetooth I've never used.
I have three BT devices. I don't use any. Not sadly though. Streaming it is.

At 45 pages, Wiim has created a lot of interest. I'm new to music streamers. I do not own a smart phone. I would most likely use this with Amazon Music HD.

1. After reading the first few pages I'm still unsure if this device can be controlled from a Kindle Fire tablet (7", 7th gen) using Alexa SW?

2. Or would I be better off going directly from the tablet via USB cable to a USB DAC?

Thanks in advance, Trevor.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
1. There isn’t an official WiiM app for fire hd devices, but you can download it from the Google Play Store if you have that installed on your tablet . Also, it’s not controlled from the Alexa app, but from the WiiM or Amazon Music app. You do however link your WiiM app to your Alexa and amazon music account.
2. You’ll get better results from the WiiM Mini over optical into a DAC as the amazon music app itself (assuming you could use usb audio on the table) won’t be bitperfect using usb.

1. There isn’t an official WiiM app for fire hd devices, but you can download it from the Google Play Store if you have that installed on your tablet . Also, it’s not controlled from the Alexa app, but from the WiiM or Amazon Music app. You do however link your WiiM app to your Alexa and amazon music account.
2. You’ll get better results from the WiiM Mini over optical into a DAC as the amazon music app itself (assuming you could use usb audio on the table) won’t be bitperfect using usb.
It seems, not being a smart phone owner, every avenue I go down to stream high quality music is fraught with difficulties. Fire doesn't support Google Play, so future updates can wipe out the app. Fire doesn't support music via the USB port. How do you power the Fire & USB DAC simultaneously? My old Samsung Chromebook may or may not support music via USB. I'm left with a clunky unused Win7 PC as my best option? Does Amazon Music HD for PCs support music via USB?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
It seems, not being a smart phone owner, every avenue I go down to stream high quality music is fraught with difficulties. Fire doesn't support Google Play, so future updates can wipe out the app. Fire doesn't support music via the USB port. How do you power the Fire & USB DAC simultaneously? My old Samsung Chromebook may or may not support music via USB. I'm left with a clunky unused Win7 PC as my best option? Does Amazon Music HD for PCs support music via USB?
The WiiM doesn't stream through its app, only out its optical port or 3.5mm audio jack. The app is just a remote control. It should run fine on your Chromebook under its Android subsystem. The optical port will support up to 24/192 into your external DAC, such as a Topping E30.

Brantome

Major Contributor
I’ve happily installed Google Play on my fire hd 10 and have run the WiiM Home app from there. I’d also forget using Windows/USB as the amazon music app there isn’t bit perfect either - I’d doubt if Win7 would support the amazon music app too. WiiM have indicated that they might release a FireOS version of their app, but they’ve loads of other things on their plate so I wouldn’t hold my breath on that tbh

As said above, you might manage better with your Chromebook and the WiiM app as a remote control, and forget about usb.

I’ve happily installed Google Play on my fire hd 10 and have run the WiiM Home app from there. I’d also forget using Windows/USB as the amazon music app there isn’t bit perfect either - I’d doubt if Win7 would support the amazon music app too. WiiM have indicated that they might release a FireOS version of their app, but they’ve loads of other things on their plate so I wouldn’t hold my breath on that tbh

As said above, you might manage better with your Chromebook and the WiiM app as a remote control, and forget about usb.
Thanks for the replies. I tried three Chromebooks and even the one that is on the Android compatibility list was not compatible! So onto the Fire 7" 7th gen (that I'd prefer to use anyway), is there an Android/Play compatibility list online, is it listed? If so, where are the best instructions on how to load Google Play onto the Fire tablet?

Thanks for the replies. I tried three Chromebooks and even the one that is on the Android compatibility list was not compatible! So onto the Fire 7" 7th gen (that I'd prefer to use anyway), is there an Android/Play compatibility list online, is it listed? If so, where are the best instructions on how to load Google Play onto the Fire tablet?
I found instructions here: https://www.androidpolice.com/install-play-store-amazon-fire-tablet/
Went thru the process, after several restarts and clearing of data, Google Play works!
Went to Wiim Home app page and downloaded app via Google Play.
Got "Your device isn't compatible with this version" message, argh!!
Is this the end of the line?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Weird that the app doesn’t work on your Chromebooks. It installed on mine without complaining. Maybe try side-loading the apk from a safe repository, or open a ticket with WiiM asking them to support your Chromebook.

Top Bottom