• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
16 steps in the Volume control makes this useless for me.
I realize it can be set to 100% output and then controlled by the external system volume but I wanted to use my Android phone and laptop volume controls.

0-105+++db in 16steps is way to dangerous and really strange to me.
Maybe on a Bluetooth speaker, but then why even bother with a device like this for that?
16 steps on a HiFi rig is completely stupid.

fquails

16 steps in the Volume control makes this useless for me.
I realize it can be set to 100% output and then controlled by the external system volume but I wanted to use my Android phone and laptop volume controls.

0-105+++db in 16steps is way to dangerous and really strange to me.
Maybe on a Bluetooth speaker, but then why even bother with a device like this for that?
16 steps on a HiFi rig is completely stupid.
Where did you learn about the 16 steps? Haven’t fiddled with the Wiim volume much as I adjust volume using the amp. But my Wiim app for iOS has a slider volume control with no steps.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Where did you learn about the 16 steps? Haven’t fiddled with the Wiim volume much as I adjust volume using the amp. But my Wiim app for iOS has a slider volume control with no steps.
I purchased it. On my Android phone I have 16 steps/clicks from 0-100%. (so from 0db to 110db, in about 7db increments)
When not using the WiiM I have 75 steps and each step is exactly 0.5db after halfway.
Not good, very much pointless volume control with the WiiM and maybe is the Android OS at fault here doing something odd Spotify connect - never the less it is what it is as a system.
On my Laptop there is actually a slider with but it is really hard to adjust correctly as it very small.
With a maximum volume on my system of well over 100db at the listening position I need more granular controls.

I wanted to feed my MiniDSP 4x10 from this and then use my phone without any wiring or additional preamp as the remote. Not gonna work out for me.
Anyway I will keep using the set-up I have and return the WiiM.

CyBorek

I purchased it. On my Android phone I have 16 steps/clicks from 0-100%. (so from 0db to 110db, in about 7db increments)
When not using the WiiM I have 75 steps and each step is exactly 0.5db after halfway.
Not good, very much pointless volume control with the WiiM and maybe is the Android OS at fault here doing something odd Spotify connect - never the less it is what it is as a system.
On my Laptop there is actually a slider with but it is really hard to adjust correctly as it very small.
With a maximum volume on my system of well over 100db at the listening position I need more granular controls.

I wanted to feed my MiniDSP 4x10 from this and then use my phone without any wiring or additional preamp as the remote. Not gonna work out for me.
Anyway I will keep using the set-up I have and return the WiiM.
Maybe it is related to phone OS? On my OnePlus7T Proi have slider for volume in the app and when using voice buttons it has dozens of steps.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
THIS JUST POPPED UP ON MY AMAZON SITE TODAY, 9/04/22
04/09/2022 for across the ponders.

Amazon USA has a current 'deal' on the WiiM Mini 2 for U$79. Don't know how long that price will last.
Could it signal a new model, soon? And what is a "Mini 2"? Seems identical to my two Minis.
1662299164004.png

Last edited:

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Just saw this update as of Sep 04 2022 @ 09:50 EDT:
1662299828346.png

Brantome

Major Contributor

Amazon USA has a current 'deal' on the WiiM Mini 2 for U$79. Don't know how long that prise will last.
Could it signal a new model, soon? And what is a "Mini 2"? Seems identical to my two Minis.
View attachment 228685
It's been headlined on the WiimHome site for a few days too

Brantome

Major Contributor

Amazon USA has a current 'deal' on the WiiM Mini 2 for U$79. Don't know how long that price will last.
View attachment 228685

Where do you see "Mini 2" on the page? I can't find that even by searching.

There will be a new updated model sometime in q4 22 - the WiiM Pro. It's mentioned here https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-streamer.31182/post-1295521

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor

Lofi

Thank you for telling us that, now. Your review says the opposite

All due respect but this is a device to replace a computer and telling us that it doesn’t work with the supplied power adapter is the most basic “stuff”.
“Computer USB port” does not read as supplied power adapter to me. There’s an extraneous “so” but as it is a new sentence the intended meaning is clear.
I tried a similar option at first, the printer USB in back of the adjacent airport express and got a light on but no audio at home. They didn’t include an adapter in the box mine came in so it was any airport in a storm.

Lofi

Apple airplay degradation is an interesting subject. I wonder how audible it is for people. I compared Tidal lossless (hifi mode) vs redbook CD vs Apple Music over Airplay 2 (AAC 256) and could not hear any consistent difference at all, other than slightly different volume levels on a few tracks. Then again, there are many measurements not audible to me. However, I can tell the difference with Bluetooth, with BT sounding slightly inferior to all the ones mentioned above.
It is tough to pick out..but given how good the apple OS audio panel is I always wondered why they would design an implementation that resamples like that. It seemed almost abhorrent to find that was in the chain (as a faithful airport user for two decades now). But public statements seem to indicate they don’t take CD quality (and up) music listening very seriously, it’s all about spatial audio. Maybe they will release some Air-3D-quadrophonic-podglasses
A better comparison might be of direct digital from computer into dac vs Airplay digital out into dac though? Those mentioned are quite different sources to audition one feature, bitrates, MQA silliness, possibly different masters even. I found audible difference negligible (USB v Airplay) esp when convenience is accounted for. And my new speakers don’t really accomodate a laptop balanced on top as well as prior boxy models did. Something I find curious though- I kinda like playing audio on Tidal/Apple from Apple TV and sending that via Airplay to an Airport (remote, big visual display, don’t have to futz around in apple remote or goto laptop) but I could swear it sounds inferior to just Airplay from laptop via Music or through Airfoil. I can’t imagine it is resampling it twice…….or could it? Something seems off

Lofi

This is a multi-protocol streamer. That is its prime selling point. It is missing one popular protocol for streaming. I get to point that out as a reviewer and user of such a protocol. It is up to them to include it and absorb the cost, or charge more. Right now, their market is smaller than it could be since competitors like RPi support Roon and cost less.

Well, if I buy this box, I am paying for a bunch of protocols I don't use. If I have to do that, you can do the same with Roon endpoint.

I see my job here is advocating better engineering and core feature set of products. Don't do either right and you will hear me complaining.
It would be great if they added Roon. And they do seem to be rapidly adding to the feature set so I wouldn’t rule it out. But I think they might see their demographic as sitting outside of software that costs more than their physical device. I personally love that you can get bitperfect and an inconspicuous device that’s so easy to set up, and at a price where I can waste more money on components downstream. It’s exactly what I was looking for, now if only I could get MQA-less Tidal streams or a better Airplay…

Lofi

google chromecast audio, is giving me subpar audio quality with toslink to minitoslink
Also having connectivity issues frequently, hence gave up on it
Yup. I could rarely get it to play a whole album without it crapping out. And often connecting to it again was a painful and lengthy process.

Lofi

Yeah, you start playing the song in Apple Music. The Wiim is selected as the target. Then you open the Wiim app. Irrespective of if the song is playing or paused, inside the Wiim App you will see the same track playing with cover art and controls.

Hitting play from within the Wiim app sounds WAY better. But you have to cue up the song via Apple Music first.

Someone needs to explain to me why this is, or if there is a fix coming. Because with the above method, you have to juggle apps.
I've done the same comparison. It sounds exactly the same to me. No difference at all.
it’s still streaming from the Apple Music app. The WiiM app just has some extremely limited remote control functions (play/pause/skip). Kinda like controlling your music from your navigation app. Except I don’t expect to see anyone claiming hitting play in Waze or Google Maps delivers greater fidelity

Steve Rogers

Yup. I could rarely get it to play a whole album without it crapping out. And often connecting to it again was a painful...
I had these problems with chromecast a couple of yeats back and circumvented them by adding a wifi booster.

fquails

Any news about Apple Music being integrated into the Wiim Home app, and music streamed directly by the Wiim puck? So we don’t have to use Airplay.

nothingman

Any news about Apple Music being integrated into the Wiim Home app, and music streamed directly by the Wiim puck? So we don’t have to use Airplay.

Is there a single Apple Music streaming device? What makes you think WiiM Mini would be the first? As I understand it even the HomePod relies on Airplay.

fquails

Is there a single Apple Music streaming device? What makes you think WiiM Mini would be the first? As I understand it even the HomePod relies on Airplay.
My Sonos speaker bar, controlled by the Sonos app on my iPhone, can stream Apple Music independently. I hardly use it, though, as I use the Sonos bar only for TV viewing.

Additionally, Wiim indicated as of March 2022 that they are actively discussing with Apple the possibility of integrating Apple Music in the Wiim app. See screenshot of Wiim forum I attached to this post.

Attachments

• 8908D963-2437-4F7C-8277-30C0A4BED2CC.jpeg
    8908D963-2437-4F7C-8277-30C0A4BED2CC.jpeg
    652.8 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom