• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I listen to Qobuz and Tidal via the Marantz NR 1504 receiver using the BubbleUPnP application. I am not satisfied with the user experience with this application and I am looking for a device that would connect to the receiver and thus avoid the DLNA connection of the receiver itself. Is the WiimM Mini a good option? Or maybe Chromecast with Google TV, or Xiaomi Mi box S? Any other suggestion is welcome, as well as an opinion on the WiiM Mini player in these conditions
Bluesound node

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I listen to Qobuz and Tidal via the Marantz NR 1504 receiver using the BubbleUPnP application. I am not satisfied with the user experience with this application and I am looking for a device that would connect to the receiver and thus avoid the DLNA connection of the receiver itself. Is the WiimM Mini a good option? Or maybe Chromecast with Google TV, or Xiaomi Mi box S? Any other suggestion is welcome, as well as an opinion on the WiiM Mini player in these conditions
WiiM should be fine.

Nonick

Is the SINAD of 141 dB available only from WiiM Android app > Toslink out, or this applies to other Android streaming apps (BubbleuPNP etc.)?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Is the SINAD of 141 dB available only from WiiM Android app > Toslink out, or this applies to other Android streaming apps (BubbleuPNP etc.)?
It's bit-perfect at up to 24/192 from any UPnP source->Toslink output. The SINAD should be the same as from the app.

morillon

Major Contributor
other people with big problems of connections disconnections since the last firmware??? (not before for me)

Last edited:

Witterings

other people with big problems of connections disconnections since the last firmware??? (not before for me)

I certainly had quite a few issues on Saturday evening to the extent I sent a report in, it seemed a lot worse when I was using it for Multi Room, I disconnected it from Multo room and started playing it on just one WiiM and it seemed better .... don't know if it was connected or just chance.

Not sure if it's still on schedule but the 17th was the day it was meant to be compatible with Amazom Ultra HD.

Brantome

Major Contributor
I certainly had quite a few issues on Saturday evening to the extent I sent a report in, it seemed a lot worse when I was using it for Multi Room, I disconnected it from Multo room and started playing it on just one WiiM and it seemed better .... don't know if it was connected or just chance.

Not sure if it's still on schedule but the 17th was the day it was meant to be compatible with Amazom Ultra HD.
It was the 15th, but that’s been pushed out to the 20th for a beta release, and the 31st for the full release. See here

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Haven't had any dropouts or disconnects at all with Tidal HiFi. I'm running a single WiiM (don't really see the point of multi-room) about 8' away from one of the three mesh routers in my house. The WiiM shows WiFi strength as Excellent or Very Good at all times.

Witterings

I'm running a single WiiM (don't really see the point of multi-room)

All depends on the layout of your house and where you want to play music.
We have a Kitchen Living area where we spend a lot of time but I also have garden speakers and they can't be run off the stereo in the kitchen but instead work off a 2nd zone on the main HiFi / Surround system in the lounge.
It also means you don't have to crank the volume up like mad in the kitchen area to hear it in the lounge / dining area ... I guess it all depends what areas you want coverage and how much you want to control the volume in each of those areas so it' not screaming at you in one room and virtually silent in another.

Brantome

Major Contributor
All depends on the layout of your house and where you want to play music.
We have a Kitchen Living area where we spend a lot of time but I also have garden speakers and they can't be run off the stereo in the kitchen but instead work off a 2nd zone on the main HiFi / Surround system in the lounge.
It also means you don't have to crank the volume up like mad in the kitchen area to hear it in the lounge / dining area ... I guess it all depends what areas you want coverage and how much you want to control the volume in each of those areas so it' not screaming at you in one room and virtually silent in another.
Guess that’s where Amazon Music (or Spotify, Deezer and Tidal) and Alexa multi room music groups that a WiiM Mini can be part of come in handy - you might want the best quality from a WiiM Mini over spdif into your main hi-fi, while in other places, you might be happy enough with a single or stereo pair of echos, perhaps even Echo Studios. It’s a shame that the WiiM Mini can’t handle line in redistribution to other echo devices like the Echo Link can, but who knows, that might be something a future firmware upgrade might deliver.

morillon

Major Contributor
I do not benefit from any improvements, any enrichments, i m with deezer "flac"...
but at least .. seems to me to have refound the stability of the connection etc with new firmware..
i m happy..
;-)

Last edited:

AndyLewis

Tested this at 24/192 via WLAN earlier today - worked fine. I'm leaving it on that setting as the (for now) 16bit 44.1 streams from Amazon Music sound clearer on that too No dropouts for about a fortnight or so since the last update. Feeding this into another of Amirms tested items - Topping E50 with great results - my Happy Birthday presents! Well pleased

mhecimovic

Tested this at 24/192 via WLAN earlier today - worked fine. I'm leaving it on that setting as the (for now) 16bit 44.1 streams from Amazon Music sound clearer on that too No dropouts for about a fortnight or so since the last update. Feeding this into another of Amirms tested items - Topping E50 with great results - my Happy Birthday presents! Well pleas
Did You compare USB and optical input at E50? I have similar setup WiiM Mini -> Topping E50 -> Topping PA5 -> Tannoy Revolution XT8F. I found out that when I stream thru WiiM via Toslink, sound is much warmer compared to situation when I stream directly from Mobile phone via USB cable! I am not sure is this warm sound color because of WiiM or different inputs on Topping E50.

AndyLewis

No I haven't tested the USB yet - can't be bothered plugging my desktop or laptop in - too much noise / not enough space. What phone do you use? Is it Android & is it plug & play? If so I'll get an adaptor & give it a go! ; )

mhecimovic

No I haven't tested the USB yet - can't be bothered plugging my desktop or laptop in - too much noise / not enough space. What phone do you use? Is it Android & is it plug & play? If so I'll get an adaptor & give it a go! ; )
Xiaomi Mi8, it is plug and play. But the same result was with raspberry pi and Volumio! I am using Tidal HiFi plus like a music source!

AndyLewis

Motorola g6 play for me - I'll take your word but test when I get an adaptor - will get me round the bit limitation on Amazn music if they don't fix it on the Wiim quickly

Witterings

I have similar setup WiiM Mini -> Topping E50 -> Topping PA5 ->

Must admit I'm tempted with the same setup and have 3 WiiMs but with different speakers. Also considering their E30 DAC (because I have one) with RCA to TRS leads ... how do you find it overall?

The one things that make me hesitate has the PA5 got bass / treble control or are they set and there's no Sub out of you went with smaller speakers.

AndyLewis

Can't see it's got tone controls. You could always use high level output type sub like my cheapo Mivoc G10 which has such. Feed the spkr wires from the amp into the sub per channel & then back out again from the sub outputs. Works great.
I suppose the filters on the E30/E50 work as tone controls to a certain extent. I always find old analogue amps Pioneer, JVC usually sound best on direct setting anyway. Certainly don't miss them on my Audiolab 6000a either!

Top Bottom