• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 230 48.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.2%

• Total voters

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all, this is a great device for <$100. I needed a streamer and really wanted something better than a raspberry pi. Not sure this is it but it looks great using the toslink. Regards

Cheaper and more readily available than an RPi4 +Case.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don’t need the app with Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music; all use their native apps with this device. It also supports Bluetooth, UPnP, Alexa and Siri without the app. It is, for the price, the most technically sophisticated streamer you will find.
I was saying Yamaha WXAD-10 is in the same region, but it's not available anymore.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The lack of recommendation, and the delay to test was likely because they didn’t pay Amir for the review.
WAT!
1518243796506.gif

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I use that all the time, the use cases are legion. Most used for me is if I am having guest over that want to put music from their phone. Just to clarify, is this audio trough Bluetooth at large that you find useless, or just the fact that a high performance DAC would accept Bluetooth. Do you use Bluetooth at all? I think it's totally OK to not use it, but in 2022 not "knowing" a use case comes across as odd. Bluetooth audio may be the most widespread general way of transmitting audio today. Just not sure if I understood your statement correctly, or if you have been living under a rock, or you mis-expressed yourself.
I'm aware Bluetooth is a thing. I occasionally take a Bluetooth speaker on an outing or use wireless earbuds. I'll revise my comment to say the guest coming over who wants to play music (but cannot connect to my WiFi network??) isn't for me an important consideration. WiiM or Chromecast on WiFi handle everything for me just fine in my three house systems. My daughter uses Bluetooth with her Loxjie system for YouTube and such as she has neither.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I'm aware Bluetooth is a thing. I occasionally take a Bluetooth speaker on an outing or use wireless earbuds. I'll revise my comment to say the guest coming over who wants to play music (but cannot connect to my WiFi network??) isn't for me an important consideration.
He can connect to wifi but to stream trough wifi he will need to install an app. What is your source for your DAC? Any wireless use case at all?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shame about the DAC.
Missed opportunity indeed.
But i doubt people consider DAC quality when they develop a device like it.

DonR

Major Contributor
$89 with streaming gapless playback. Let's be real.
No doubt tremendous value for money here, still... 89db is getting close to noticeable even for me. Just another 5db or so would have made it perfect, IMO. It will be fine for an older hi-fi or cheaper powered speakers though.

PeteL

Major Contributor
No doubt tremendous value for money here, still... 89db is getting close to noticeable even for me. Just another 5db or so would have made it perfect, IMO. It will be fine for an older hi-fi or cheaper powered speakers though.
I would think a very outstanding majority of ASR readership already own a decent DAC.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
He can connect to wifi but to stream trough wifi he will need to install an app. What is your source for your DAC? Any wireless use case at all?
If my guest has music my assumption is they have an app to play it that can connect to the WiiM be it for files or Spotify, Qobuz, Amazon, or Apple. They don't need to install the WiiM app.

My systems are based around my WiFi network. File sources are network shared files on a mini-pc in the bedroom. I have three PW-Links which double as streamers and room correction but are only currently used for room correction with the WiiM. I use Chromecasts in the den and bedroom. Playback is controlled in all the systems from my phones. I don't need Bluetooth for a wireless connection that's what wifi is

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
I'd rather have the item be cheap and have an "afterthought" of a dac. Most who care will use their own dac anyway. (actually the dac performed better than I expected.)
Yeah, I bought it for its current Amazon Music support and soon to be implemented lossless Amazon Music HD service. Bit perfect delivery of that into my Linn MDSM/4 will do as a stop gap until Linn support it natively.

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
I'm aware Bluetooth is a thing. I occasionally take a Bluetooth speaker on an outing or use wireless earbuds. I'll revise my comment to say the guest coming over who wants to play music (but cannot connect to my WiFi network??) isn't for me an important consideration. WiiM or Chromecast on WiFi handle everything for me just fine in my three house systems. My daughter uses Bluetooth with her Loxjie system for YouTube and such as she has neither.

DesertHawk

I have this device and love it. I use it with qobuz and the Wiim's native app. The app can be finicky so I can't fault Amir's criticisms, but they seem to be updating it regularly. Frankly, if qobuz had a "qobuz connect" then it wouldn't be an issue. I have never used roon and don't plan to (might see more value in it if I had a large personal library on a server).

For 100 bucks, I'm just very happy to see how well the Toslink digital out works.

Thanks for the review Amir and thanks to the member who sent the device to be tested.

mateolo2

@amirm Last and i think most Common question, after your tests. When using wiim as digital transport via toslink, there will be any difference in sound quality vs node as digital transport? For tidal and Spotify? Many people asking This question. Os it worth to buy much more expensive node vs mini? We talking only about sound quality here.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review. You’ve once again saved me money. I’ll keep my RPI digi and Airport Express.

Top Bottom