• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 230 48.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.2%

• Total voters

MrOtto

Set to "fixed volume" to bypass all EQ/DSP.
Also:

mefausto

Also:
Already done, fixed volume and equalizer off.

MrOtto

So I played the same track from Tidal, jazz trumpet, if your system is too bright, I will hear it. So Wiim Mini Toslink, Tidal through Wiim app (Master), and Volumio USB Tidal through BubbleUPnP (Only Hifi) . Both to Topping E30. None sounded brighter than the other when volume was "matched" on amp. What I did notice was the volume from Wiim was higher than on Volumio when amp had same volume setting. Wiim was set to fixed output and Volumio was set to "Mixer type: none" (Fixed output)

Topping E30 does not sound bright. It relays the source in an accurate fashion. If you think this is bright, you prefer to EQ your music playback.

mefausto

So I played the same track from Tidal, jazz trumpet, if your system is too bright, I will hear it. So Wiim Mini Toslink, Tidal through Wiim app (Master), and Volumio USB Tidal through BubbleUPnP (Only Hifi) . Both to Topping E30. None sounded brighter than the other when volume was "matched" on amp. What I did notice was the volume from Wiim was higher than on Volumio when amp had same volume setting. Wiim was set to fixed output and Volumio was set to "Mixer type: none" (Fixed output)

Topping E30 does not sound bright. It relays the source in an accurate fashion. If you think this is bright, you prefer to EQ your music playback.
I did further tests with a smsl dac, another amplifier, speakers and computer. The sound via wiim is brighter and with less full and controlled bass. The sound gives the impression of being less controlled and more confusing. It's not my impression, I perceive it very clearly with careful listening. I'm sorry because the wiim application is very well done and comfortable. However, I did the Amazon return.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound gives the impression of being less controlled and more confusing. It's not my impression, I perceive it very clearly with careful listening.
Did you do a blind test?

mefausto

Did you do a blind test?
No, I couldn't since I changed the source. But I assure you the difference was noticeable. If I hadn't noticed that my favorite pieces sounded wrong, I wouldn't have started testing. I hope I had a bad copy, because everyone speaks well in the reviews. I am not an audiophile with a fine ear. But the sound was bad for me, it sounded like a 128kbps mp3.

Last edited:

Merifon

I did further tests with a smsl dac, another amplifier, speakers and computer. The sound via wiim is brighter and with less full and controlled bass. The sound gives the impression of being less controlled and more confusing. It's not my impression, I perceive it very clearly with careful listening. I'm sorry because the wiim application is very well done and comfortable. However, I did the Amazon return.
Very strano...
I use wiim + SMSL DO100 with Tidal and Amazon music, turntable and cd player. When I compared same editions of several albums, I got the same sound, obviously with peculiar differences but really the same sound character.

mefausto

Very strano...
I use wiim + SMSL DO100 with Tidal and Amazon music, turntable and cd player. When I compared same editions of several albums, I got the same sound, obviously with peculiar differences but really the same sound character.
I really hope my unit was faulty. In the future I'll try to get a Wiim Pro, maybe I'll be more lucky. I can't find anything like the Wiim this cheap.

MrOtto

I could not find any of these differences when listening to Wiim Mini from Toslink, and listening from Volumuio RPi4 USB on the same track from Tidal.

mefausto

I could not find any of these differences when listening to Wiim Mini from Toslink, and listening from Volumuio RPi4 USB on the same track from Tidal.
You're not the first to tell me, Since I don't think you're all deaf, mine must have had problems. I'll get another one as soon as I get my refund from Amazon.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
You're not the first to tell me, Since I don't think you're all deaf, mine must have had problems. I'll get another one as soon as I get my refund from Amazon.
The only reason I could find for such behavior is a WiiM's charger influencing you audio path. Or a faulty device itself.

Big White

Also:
If I turn on the EQ, what should I set the volume to?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
If I turn on the EQ, what should I set the volume to?
It depends on the EQ preset / band gain. You should compensate it with the main WiiM volume to leave a possible distortion area.

Just setting a fixed volume will not bypass the EQ.

mefausto

I finally ordered and got a new wiim mini, this one luckily sounds much better. Different from the usb connected dac, but no worse.

Top Bottom