• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters

manicm

The non recommendation because of no Room support is frankly idiotic. This is a budget device with both Spotify and Tidal Connect. If you can afford the Roon subscription, let alone the outright purchase, then you can afford a better streamer. I repeat, this review is nonsense.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
The non recommendation because of no Room support is frankly idiotic. This is a budget device with both Spotify and Tidal Connect. If you can afford the Roon subscription, let alone the outright purchase, then you can afford a better streamer. I repeat, this review is nonsense.
The review is excellent, and objective. The lack of recommendation is subjective, and obviously not heeded by many here. Appreciate what we have here, please.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just in time for the Wiim Pro review I hope ;)
There is nothing wrong with Wiim, really!
They should remedy Roon's shortcomings .
My Android and jRiver on windows have no issues using the Wiim as end point.
Not a fan of Roon.
The moment they foolishly decided against folders for playback, Roon was dead for me anyways.
zlong live jRiver.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree and it has been discussed before.
But @amirm shared his review and opinion and that is that. You can write your review and opinion as you wish, and share it.
Or you can at least vote.

WiiMs will be Roon Ready in a few weeks so it doesn't really matter.
We have heard this since the review.

They should remedy Roon's shortcomings .
They should not!;)

MCH

Major Contributor
I am not sure what a review of the pro is going to bring to the table, tbh. These devices are all about functionality, that Amir is not going to test, and we already know that it has the same DAC as the non pro.... Unless something is broken, there won't be many surprises, I guess. If I needed a pro, i wouldn't be waiting for that review

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless something is broken
The review will reveal that, that is one of the reasons peeps like you and me need them.

If I needed a pro, i wouldn't be waiting for that review
I will never buy a device without at least one critical review, ever. Had to much of my money bleeding out to dishonest companies in the 90ies.

Reviewers here don't need to praise the devices, if they do, it's likely they are genuinely smitten by it, not because they get dollarinos.

It's good that they poke where no "professional influencer" dares poking.:D

morillon

Major Contributor
The review will reveal that, that is one of the reasons peeps like you and me need them.

I will never buy a device without at least one critical review, ever. Had to much of my money bleeding out to dishonest companies in the 90ies.

Reviewers here don't need to praise the devices, if they do, it's likely they are genuinely smitten by it, not because they get dollarinos.

It's good that they poke where no "professional influencer" dares poking.:D
I don't understand what you expect as a review etc.
onlyoneme on the wiim forum has taken a few measurements, under constant conditions, compared on the essential mini and pro...
and was able to observe the pro a little "cleaner" than the mini ...
so on the analog should do a little better, but without a miracle ..
and the same in digital output to dac ... whether in toslink or spdif ....
so nothing really new...
(if it interests you can observe the entries to see if progress has been made...)
but hey, the main thing is to observe how the real novelty of the "pro" happens (which is nothing professional of course).. the integration of the chromecast..( and lan)

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand what you expect as a review
Independence, if you are economically tied to the object you review, then go eat a bowl of glass. I have listened to dishonest crap for decades.

was able to observe the pro a little "cleaner" than the mini
Fair enough if there are measurements to back it up.

morillon

Major Contributor
this kind of measures has already been discussed just a few messages ago...
and onlyoneme is an individual... with no interest other than curiosity etc..
thanks to him

Last edited:

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I sent a feature request for mono downmixing.
The latest version supports mono downmixing. I think it is useful for areas with a single speaker, and I wish more receiver devices (Bluetooth etc.) would support it.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no interest in Roon whatsoever, nor it seems do countless others.

The lack of a recommendation based on lack of Roon support is just plain silly. Not good Amir, not good at all. I'm disappointed in you. :confused:
I gave you a like, but I wouldn't go as far as " I am disappointed in you!!"
Would you rather he hadn't bothered??
But the Roon bit, I agree.
Roon has nothing for me, very happy with jriver, paid for it once, it works perfectly (within reason).
Two things about Roon that are red flags for me:
- lack of folders and folder play.
- monthly subscription, that would ultimately make the software, far more expensive that it deserves.

WillBrink

I use Roon in my main system, and the mini and its app in my budget/office system. I may add an external DAC to the mini at some point, but not sure if it will be audible using the speakers I'm using in that system, although subjectively I felt the Arylic S50 Pro sounds better, but it stopped working and was outside the warranty, so I decided to try a Mini.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly, I measured it before Roon Ready support... (Which still is planned for Q2 2023, by now)

Main small.jpg

Roon Endpoint is supported through Chromecast, tho.

Last edited:

lordhumungous

Sadly, I measured it before Roon Ready support... (Which still is planned for Q2 2023, by now)

View attachment 267437

Roon Endpoint is supported through Chromecast, tho.
How would Roon software change the measurement results of streamer hardware?

Top Bottom