• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 223 47.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters

Brantome

Major Contributor
My Sonos speaker bar, controlled by the Sonos app on my iPhone, can stream Apple Music independently. I hardly use it, though, as I use the Sonos bar only for TV viewing.

Additionally, Wiim indicated as of March 2022 that they are actively discussing with Apple the possibility of integrating Apple Music in the Wiim app. See screenshot of Wiim forum I attached to this post.
They have also said not to hold your breath on that as Apple are notoriously slow in giving approval even if the relevant APIs were available. It’s been mentioned in the other thread - see
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-streamer.31182/post-1324162
and subsequent comments

Music1969

Major Contributor
My Sonos speaker bar, controlled by the Sonos app on my iPhone, can stream Apple Music independently. I hardly use it, though, as I use the Sonos bar only for TV viewing.

Additionally, Wiim indicated as of March 2022 that they are actively discussing with Apple the possibility of integrating Apple Music in the Wiim app. See screenshot of Wiim forum I attached to this post.

Everybody has tried. The company you mention is the only one that succeeded. See this, already been discussed: #4,220

antcollinet

Master Contributor
If you are listening without ROON you are missing out 80% of this hobby , without tidal 10% rest is your equipment chain. So all hail @amirm
I prefer to put the 80% of the hobby into the actual music emanating from my speakers. 18% composed of the repproduction kit to get it there. The 2% software delivering it to the repro kit is (for me) largely irrelevant - and certainly not worth paying a monthly fee for.

mediocrebutarrogant

I prefer to put the 80% of the hobby into the actual music emanating from my speakers. 18% composed of the repproduction kit to get it there. The 2% software delivering it to the repro kit is (for me) largely irrelevant - and certainly not worth paying a monthly fee for.
Dude get a free trail and hook up mac over usb with roon core to your mqa dac , don’t bother about dsp , and if your blind ab Yada yada cant tell a difference change your equipment

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They have also said not to hold your breath on that as Apple are notoriously slow in giving approval even if the relevant APIs were available. It’s been mentioned in the other thread - see
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-streamer.31182/post-1324162
and subsequent comments
From experience, Apple is unmotivated to support it if Apple doesn't get some moochie money from doing so. Apple typically has a roadmap for Apple's future, and WiiM doesn't seem to be an intersection along the way (unless Apple buys WiiM). And that Apple 'way' usually sells some exceptionally high-priced hardware that requires a monthly subscription and won't work with all other services.

(I expect almost everything will change somewhat with the arrival of Matter and Thread.)

mediocrebutarrogant

The Roon advanced audio transport sending better signal over usb than native os . When I say better I mean life cahanging.

mediocrebutarrogant

From experience, Apple is unmotivated to support it if Apple doesn't get some moochie money from doing so. Apple typically has a roadmap for Apple's future, and WiiM doesn't seem to be an intersection along the way (unless Apple buys WiiM). And that Apple 'way' usually sells some exceptionally high-priced hardware that requires a monthly subscription and won't work with all other services.

(I expect almost everything will change somewhat with the arrival of Matter and Thread.)

No matter how much money you spend, hifi cannot reproduce your first music-accompanied pot high. … True

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

HomeKit support is an exception even without Matter protocol. Apple's protocol working locally without any cloud.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Off topic posts removed, warning(s) issued and temp thread ban(s) handed out. If you want to talk about sex you’re in the wrong place. Keep it clean and respectful of others. Try to cultivate friendships rather than find more people to fight. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Last edited:

StevenM

After reading about this in Stereophile, just had to try it. I got my first one about 3 months ago and just purchased my Second. It is terribly impressive and the sound beyond its size! It sounds excellent both using and external DAC with Optical and using its AUX output. Its compatibility using DNLA servers (JRiver) is excellent as it its Apple Airplay connectivity with Tidal, Spotify, etc. Two things that would have been nice -- Balanced output option like the Pono pad and Chromecast support (yeah, needs a different chipset)

Brantome

Major Contributor
After reading about this in Stereophile, just had to try it. I got my first one about 3 months ago and just purchased my Second. It is terribly impressive and the sound beyond its size! It sounds excellent both using and external DAC with Optical and using its AUX output. Its compatibility using DNLA servers (JRiver) is excellent as it its Apple Airplay connectivity with Tidal, Spotify, etc. Two things that would have been nice -- Balanced output option like the Pono pad and Chromecast support (yeah, needs a different chipset)
The upcoming Wiim Pro will support Chromecast

Top Bottom