• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 31 10.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 152 51.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 105 35.7%

• Total voters

Sel53

WiiM Mini Measurements
My first tests were using Aiplay 2.0 as initiated by my Roon player. As usual, Airplay itself becomes the bottleneck as we see with Toslink digital out:
My apologies for the simple question… What is the signal actually being measured for the “Toslink digital out” signal? Is it the Toslink being fed through a reference DAC, or something else? It sure doesn’t look like a a Toslink signal itself, but like an audio signal.

If it is a reference DAC, which one please? Doesn’t that show more about the ability of the DAC to tolerate a digital signal’s characteristics, rather than the quality of the digital signal itself?

Or am I just reading this wrong.

Thanks much,
sl

Sel53

It can't be a DAC because he shows a SINAD of 140 dB with optical out when using WiiM app ...

Clearly it is digital capture
A Toslink signal is an SPDIF signal, right? So I would expect the spectrum to be 2+MHz, not 1kHz. Something decoded the Toslink and made an audio signal. What did that?
Maybe an SPDIF signal analyzer?

Music1969

Major Contributor
A Toslink signal is an SPDIF signal, right? So I would expect the spectrum to be 2+MHz, not 1kHz.
?

The analyzer simply has TOSlink input. Nothing more complicated than that.

Simple digital capture as i said

555B-ADIO-PDM-DSIO-BT.jpg

Have a look at what he wrote for measuring Chromecast Audio toslink output:

I connected the Toslink output of the Chromecast Audio to the input of my APx555 Audio Precision analyzer Toslink input.

Sel53

?

The analyzer simply has TOSlink input. Nothing more complicated than that.

Simple digital capture as i said

555B-ADIO-PDM-DSIO-BT.jpg

Have a look at what he wrote for measuring Chromecast Audio toslink output:
Thanks for the link.

So it seems the AP analyzer is quite capable of properly decoding the Toslink digital input into the digital domain. But it also seems that really doesn’t show the quality of the Toslink signal itself from the device, upon which a DAC relies and hence may or may not render nicely into an analog signal. I am wondering why this approach was taken rather than, for instance, the jitter measurements done with the Allo Digione.

Music1969

Major Contributor
But it also seems that really doesn’t show the quality of the Toslink signal itself from the device
The only thing that matters with TOSlink source is bit perfect transfer.

My RME bit perfect test file passed 24/192k from WiiM Mini output . Don't need any more information from APx555 for the source side

Jpdelaney.tml

As of the new firmware, my use case for using the Mini is complete.
1) iPhone 7 (surplus wife's old one for streamer display and remote control.
2) spdif from mini to Yamaha RX-V620
3) spdif from AVR to Balanced/single ended DAC (Soncoz LX)
4) balance out from DAC to Numark SA-3000 amp.
5) single ended out from DAC to CD-in RX-V620
6) Peavey PBX-12 monitor speakers (Numark) and Polk Atrium 4 (RX-V620) when needed.
All old stuff, added new DAC and Mini for $350, and now feel pretty good with my Amazon UHD subscription.
Hurray! Nice job Wiim.

Top Bottom