• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 230 48.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.2%

• Total voters

RobR

Folks that are using this, what are you streaming from?
I've been using it with Spotify & Tidal, accessed from Wiim Home app.

I have some questions:
a. I can cast directly to the streamer from Spotify app in my windows 10 PC. But Spotify in my android phone cannot connect to the streamer (either from Spotify app or from Wiim Home app). However, Tidal from Wiim Home app can connect to the streamer.
b. when it's streaming music from either Wiim Home app or from my desktop, the music often stops for a few seconds every 5 minutes or so.

Is it likely to be a wifi connection problem? the wifi status in Wiim Home app sometimes says 'weak' although it's fine with my other devices. I tried to connect the streamer to another wifi connection in my house. However, I've been unable to do so. I deleted data & cache from Wiim Home app and then uninstalled. But when I installed the app again, the previous wifi connection is still there. How to connect to another wifi connection?

Last edited:

tsammyc

Folks that are using this, what are you streaming from?
I’m using Audirvana through uPnP. Handles my hi res files on NAS including DSD64. Able to play Tidal Masters MQA through WiiM to DAC up to 96/24. Remote control from iPhone app

Witterings

I've been using it with Spotify & Tidal, accessed from Wiim Home app.

I have some questions:
a. I can cast directly to the streamer from Spotify app in my windows 10 PC. But Spotify in my android phone cannot connect to the streamer (either from Spotify app or from Wiim Home app). However, Tidal from Wiim Home app can connect to the streamer.
b. when it's streaming music from either Wiim Home app or from my desktop, the music often stops for a few seconds every 5 minutes or so.

Is it likely to be a wifi connection problem? the wifi status in Wiim Home app sometimes says 'weak' although it's fine with my other devices. I tried to connect the streamer to another wifi connection in my house. However, I've been unable to do so. I deleted data & cache from Wiim Home app and then uninstalled. But when I installed the app again, the previous wifi connection is still there. How to connect to another wifi connection?

Have you signed in both in the Wiim App and Spoitify on your Adroid device? I can cast from android phone, I can also cast with the phone conneted to an access point and a Wiim in another room connected directly to the main router with a different ID.

I think to r-set which WiFi you're using you press and hold the middle button the WiiM itself, I had the same issue you as trying to swap WiFi connections at one point.

Nonick

How is the WiiM Home app control of local files (on smartphone) playback: does it support fast forward/rewind the track currently being played?
Is the EQ working only on local files playback?

Brantome

Major Contributor
How is the WiiM Home app control of local files (on smartphone) playback: does it support fast forward/rewind the track currently being played?
Is the EQ working only on local files playback?

You can drag the song progress slider back and forth, and EQ seems to apply to all sources

Nonick

You can drag the song progress slider back and forth, and EQ seems to apply to all sources
So, EQ works with local files playback, what about Spotify connect?
If thats working.... seems to good to be true :)

Brantome

Major Contributor
So, EQ works with local files playback, what about Spotify connect?
If thats working.... seems to good to be true :)

Seems to work there too - but at the moment, you can just choose a range of EQ presets. There’s talk of custom EQ to set bass, mid-range, and treble coming in a later release

Nonick

Question for WiiM Mini owners: when turned on, does it produce coil whine (high pitch noise) audible from 5-10cm of device?

Witterings

Question for WiiM Mini owners: when turned on, does it produce coil whine (high pitch noise) audible from 5-10cm of device?

Not from the device itself ... possibly sounds like you may have a ground loop, have you plugged it's power into a reasonable quality USB plug / charger?

Nonick

I dont own WiiM Mini, just asking as a precaution before purchase.

mhecimovic

What does this means? MQA bypass was changed to ‘no MQA’.

Attachments

• 658A55B9-3262-4C0A-9528-07E813FD3F5D.jpeg
    658A55B9-3262-4C0A-9528-07E813FD3F5D.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 111

tsammyc

Their internal DAC may not support MQA second unfold but they may be able to pass the MQA stream to an external DAC

ClassicGuy

I tried linking an Amazon account to Wiim Mini, and I was disappointed that the app opens an embedded browser for logging into the Amazon account. This kind of setup is insecure, because the app is able to capture passwords from embedded browsers and use the Amazon account for purposes it was not intended. Google has actually forbidden this and apps that do this for Google accounts will be removed from Play Store.

One proper way to do this is to open the system browser for logging into external accounts and return to the app afterwards. The system browser is trusted to handle external service passwords.

I believe that's how LinkPlay handles Amazon Music. My Arylic does the same thing, which is why I don't use it for Amazon Music at all.

DTS PlayFi on the other hand opens the system browser, so I trust that implementation. Unfortunately PlayFi has many usability issues. If DTS ever fixes the PlayFi usability issues, the Phorus PR5 puck can be a highly competitive product. It costs only $30, but has a very good internal DAC.

CATARRO

I listen to Qobuz and Tidal via the Marantz NR 1504 receiver using the BubbleUPnP application. I am not satisfied with the user experience with this application and I am looking for a device that would connect to the receiver and thus avoid the DLNA connection of the receiver itself. Is the WiimM Mini a good option? Or maybe Chromecast with Google TV, or Xiaomi Mi box S? Any other suggestion is welcome, as well as an opinion on the WiiM Mini player in these conditions

Top Bottom