• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters

WiiM Support

Hi Amir,

Thank you so much for reviewing WiiM mini and sharing your test results with the community. If you don't mind, we have a few comments on the test methodology used with the performance measurement.
1. Use AirPlay 2 to measure DAC performance - we don't recommend this. AirPlay 2 captures and re-encodes the decoded audio (transcoding) from Apple device and streams it to AirPlay 2 receiver like WiiM Mini. The transcoding involves some type of lossy compression and leads to quality degradation that is not contributed by the DAC.
2. To measure the DAC performance, we suggest you test both 16-bit and 24-bit contents. The theoretical bound for 16-bit is 96dB and 24-bit is 144 dB. It's better to give the bit depth of the test content so we can compare this apple to apple (not fair comparison using 16-bit number vs. 24-bit number).
3. When you test, please use the fixed volume output so it gives you bit perfect output. Thus, we can test the pure DAC performance.

If you're OK, we can share our test methodology and results offline with you. Once again, thank you very much for your great efforts and hope to work with you to clarify the above suggestions.
This is a review and detailed measurements of the WiiM Mini Wifi/Bluetooth streamer. It is on kind loan from a member and is on sale on Amazon for US $89.

View attachment 200172

As you can see the former factor is a "hockey puck." An included phone charger needs to be used to power the unit over USB-C. It did not work so when I used my computer USB port.

Initial setup is by connecting using Bluetooth and the available App. I connected using BT but the Android app would not see it. I had to shut off BT and turn it back on for it to recognize it. While this is disappointing, I have had similar issues with other streamers. Once there, the app was reliable and gave me the option of configuring Toslink output for bit exact and its maximum sample rate which I appreciated. It also updated the device on first connection.

WiiM Mini Measurements
My first tests were using Aiplay 2.0 as initiated by my Roon player. As usual, Airplay itself becomes the bottleneck as we see with Toslink digital out:
View attachment 200173

Not sure if Airplay forced the sample rate to change to 48 kHz or the device did it. Using it with analog out we get:
View attachment 200174

While we are beating the company spec, performance is lackluster as is typically the case in this category of product. Noise performance is not great either:

View attachment 200175

There is however good news if you use the App and output over Toslink:

View attachment 200176

This is the best you can do with 24-bit dithered signal. At 141 dB, your limit then will be what your DAC can do as even state of the are units have a SINAD of 123 dB.

Using the same signal but now testing the analog output we get:
View attachment 200177

So just a hair better than using Airplay. The internal DAC as expected, is a mass market product than high performance.

Using the same for jitter we have:
View attachment 200178

Noise floor is fairly high which can hide a lot of sins.

Since my analyzer can't control streaming devices, these are all the tests I can reasonably run. I think we have a good picture though.

Edit: by request, here is the frequency response from the internal DAC:

View attachment 200372

Edit WiiM Mini ADC Analog In Measurements
Feeding the Mini analog input and capturing the same, gives this output:
View attachment 200375

Performance is dominated by distortion. Switching to Toslink out to eliminate effect of the DAC we basically get the same result:

View attachment 200376

So just like the DAC, this is a mass market ADC implementation. Good enough for common uses though but I would not route the clean output of any DAC through it.

Conclusions
If you use the App and Toslink output, you basically have a transparent wireless link to your stereo. Connect it to your favorite DAC and your performance will only be limited by the rest of your system. For me personally lack of Roon support is a big deal. I don't want to use their App to play or stream content. I hope the company looks at supporting Roon endpoint. Analog output of the unit is just OK.

Personally I can't recommend the WiiM Mini due to lack of support for Roon player. That aside, it is great to see bit exact digital output in a budget streamer allowing you to improve its performance to any level you want using your own DAC.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Amir

hansik

I have had the Wiim Mini for 1.5 months now, and it has met my needs beautifully. I have previously used Chromecast Audio along with various implementations of RPi with DAC HATs. The Wiim Mini via optical into Schiit Modi has been a treat.

Looking forward to the Tidal Connect "Masters" upgrade in May. I am able to stream Masters via RPi, and I have done blind testing with some recordings sounding noticibly better.

Cannot beat it for price and function!
What is the main difference compared to Chromecast Audio? I see it's both lossless.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
No. You are just a segment of that market. Roon users are another. As I said, this is a multi-protocol streamer. As such, it needs to support all that enthusiasts would want to use with it.
“Needs to” might be a bit strong, actually oftentimes things are introduced with limited or start up types of features or coverage and build onto their software. This is pretty common actually. There are always changes and improvements and evolution, not everybody comes out of the gate perfect. If they see the viability of continuation they might come out with a higher end device next time. There could also be licensing, approval or other factors (or costs) involved. You’re allowed not to like the thing as it’s not for everybody but it’s really not that bad looking at what it can do and the out of the box functionality is worth it overall. Not something I would use in my main system but I might pick it up to play with it. Sometimes we just need to have a little fun, this is a hobby isn’t it???

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
“Needs to” might be a bit strong, actually oftentimes things are introduced with limited or start up types of features or coverage and build onto their software. This is pretty common actually. There are always changes and improvements and evolution, not everybody comes out of the gate perfect. If they see the viability of continuation they might come out with a higher end device next time. There could also be licensing, approval or other factors (or costs) involved. You’re allowed not to like the thing as it’s not for everybody but it’s really not that bad looking at what it can do and the out of the box functionality is worth it overall. Not something I would use in my main system but I might pick it up to play with it. Sometimes we just need to have a little fun, this is a hobby isn’t it???

Your comments sell the device short . Folks here who love this device do so because it solves problems in playback not because it's fun. For me it provides gapless playback without having to use Roon or get into the RPI-osphere. It works better at the task than Audirvana. It's in my main system because it's needed.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your comments sell the device short . Folks here who love this device do so because it solves problems in playback not because it's fun. For me it provides gapless playback without having to use Roon or get into the RPI-osphere. It works better at the task than Audirvana. It's in my main system because it's needed.
I'm confused-Audirvana is software. This is a device running software.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The RPI4 is absolutely a streamer. You can buy it preconfigured or start from scratch with lots of free software options. The biggest problem for new users is it's out of stock everywhere right now. From the Boss2 to a standard $35 board its unavailable. Glad I bought 3 in the last year. :D

How's the DAC on your Raspberry PI?, How's the optical out?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I'm confused-Audirvana is software. This is a device running software.

Using Audirvana for playback on a computer (ie a device running software) is one way to solve the gapless playback problem. It has other features to recommend it but it never worked well for me employing a network server for files. Now I use the WiiM and no longer need a computer in the chain other than the file server and gapless playback works more reliably.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using Audirvana for playback on a computer (ie a device running software) is one way to solve the gapless playback problem. It has other features to recommend it but it never worked well for me employing a network server for files. Now I use the WiiM and no longer need a computer in the chain other than the file server and gapless playback works more reliably.
Ah, I got it now. I don't have a network server so haven't used Audirvana for that.

amper42

Major Contributor
How's the DAC on your Raspberry PI?, How's the optical out?
I have two setups that use RPi4:
1. Chain = MacBook Pro -> Audirvana (app) -> UPnP -> RPi4 -> USB -> RME ADI-2 -> Buckeye NC502MP -> BMR Monitors.

2. Chain = MacBook Pro -> Audirvana (app) -> UPnP -> RPi4 -> USB -> RME ADI-2 -> March Audio P452 Purifi -> Revel F328Be.

In both cases, the RME ADI-2 (USB input) with the RPi4 sounds wonderful. I don't use Toslink for either setup.

Last edited:

sam_adams

Thank you so much for reviewing WiiM mini and sharing your test results with the community.

Thanks for stepping into the blast furnace of ASR discussions. It's a tough crowd, but you'll get used to it. It's always good to see manufacturers participate here to enlighten the ASR user base on their offerings. Hopefully the feedback received here will help WiiM improve their products.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I two setups that use RPi4:
1. Chain = MacBook Pro -> Audirvana (app) -> UPnP -> RPi4 -> USB -> RME ADI-2 -> Buckeye NC502MP -> BMR Monitors.

2. Chain = MacBook Pro -> Audirvana (app) -> UPnP -> RPi4 -> USB -> RME ADI-2 -> March Audio P452 Purifi -> Revel F328Be.

In both cases, the RME ADI-2 (USB input) with the RPi4 sounds wonderful. I don't use Toslink for either setup.
So looks like you are using it for DSP and your "streamer" is the Mac Book Pro? My answer was a bit cynical, by trying to show that a Raspberry PI cannot do the full job on it's own, compared to an integrated product like we have here. At the very least it's missing a DAC. and your answer goes in this direction as well.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
What is the main difference compared to Chromecast Audio? I see it's both lossless.
Good question :).
46AE033A-65F6-4444-8CE1-E6DE60C4020A.png
B1F6ADA4-2E57-46F4-9535-E2331A137D20.png
There is one big difference, and thats jitter. To be fair - With roon as source the result is much better for chromecast audio than the picture above.

Last edited:

Dumdum

The optical output door broke off mine as I was putting a cable in for the first time. The door mechanism is very fragile and easily broken, so worth being extra careful.
Funnily enough mine is missing also ‍♂️ Not ideal, but I figure it’s a cheap bit of kit and they have to save penny’s somewhere

phx

Been reading ASR for a while but finally registered ;P

Anyway, its not that i have been waiting for this review, but i have perused several Wiim threads around the net. It looked pretty interesting from the start for my intentions, and with Tidal connect seems exactly what i want.
I havent seen anything else at this price point doing that. Oh, a volumio RPI i guess. But there you have to buy into premium for that.

My main Setup is a Denon X4700 in the livingroom which is alright. The only thing i m still not super happy with after a year is the Heos App for Tidal. I would really love to see Denon integrating Tidal Connect.
Thats one place where i might put a Wiim if i like it.

The other is a small setup for my bedroom. Only have a Nest Audio there atm. On short notice i could use the Wiim toslinked to my old Pioneer AVR and some old Speakers. But i d like a small Amp paired with probably a pair of small Wharfedales or Triangles there. An active speaker pair would be an alternative i guess.

The simplest combo i can think of would be a Wiim toslinked to something like a Loxjie A30 + passive Speakers. Not sure if a dedicated DAC + Amp setup would make sense with 200-300€ speakers in the bedroom.

In any case, already because of Tidal Connect alone (and probably upcoming Amazon Music HD too) the Wiim seems like a very interesting little streamer.

amper42

Major Contributor
So looks like you are using it for DSP and your "streamer" is the Mac Book Pro? My answer was a bit cynical, by trying to show that a Raspberry PI cannot do the full job on it's own, compared to an integrated product like we have here. At the very least it's missing a DAC. and your answer goes in this direction as well.

I also have a Boss2 that obviously doesn't require a separate DAC and it has the RPi4 inside. You can setup the RPI4 in any configuration you like. Use it with DSP or not, use it with an external DAC or a Hat like the Boss2, use it with Moode for UPnP, Airplay2, Bluetooth or whatever. There really is no limit to the function it can serve. All of this is menu driven in a web browser for Moode. No code needed. It's as easy as it gets. I can't believe how many think the RPi4 is difficult to use. If you can setup your TV you can setup an RPI4 with Moode. It's actually much easier to configure Moode than setup a Denon 4700. :D

Changing out the guts in the toilet tank is harder than setting up an RPI4 with Moode or cleaning the filters in my pool pump, It's crazy how some people put up a mental road block when they have to configure a device with a web browser. Yet, they are OK doing it on the TV for an AVR or 4K player. If you don't try new things you limit skills and learning.

Qobuz automatically streams lower resolution music when a phone is used with their application compared to a computer. This also occurs with HEOS and Tidal. It will be interesting to see how the WiiM app handles this. I much prefer to use Audirvana as it offers a nice large screen, DSP control (if you want it) and sounds great. If I can't get the WiiM to work over UPnP with Audirvana I will probably return it. Hard to downgrade to a small screen and an iPad/iPhone for me.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The simplest combo i can think of would be a Wiim toslinked to something like a Loxjie A30 + passive Speakers.
Even simpler would be a pair of active speakers with toslink in. Not sure what the market offers at around 300.

Welcome at ASR :cool:

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Votes are in ~ 200 people "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"
85% WiiM streamer is the baby and having Roon is the bathwater
15% Not having Roon compatibility is the baby and WiiM streamer is the bathwater

Thank you Amir for reviewing it and sharing and defending your work. As a Roon user I can see both sides, and I don't need this streamer but a newbie (or small budget audiophile) might really enjoy it's simplicity.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I also have a Boss2 that obviously doesn't require a separate DAC and it has the RPi4 inside. You can setup the RPI4 in any configuration you like. Use it with DSP or not, use it with an external DAC or a Hat like the Boss2, use it with Moode for UPnP, Airplay2, Bluetooth or whatever. There really is no limit to the function it can serve. All of this is menu driven in a web browser for Moode. No code needed. It's as easy as it gets. I can't believe how many think the RPi4 is difficult to use. If you can setup your TV you can setup an RPI4 with Moode. It's actually much easier to configure Moode than setup a Denon 4700. :D

Changing out the guts in the toilet tank is harder than setting up an RPI4 with Moode or cleaning the filters in my pool pump, It's crazy how some people put up a mental road block when they have to configure a device with a web browser. Yet, they are OK doing it on the TV for an AVR or 4K player. If you don't try new things you limit skills and learning.

Qobuz automatically streams lower resolution music when a phone is used with their application compared to a computer. This also occurs with HEOS and Tidal. It will be interesting to see how the WiiM app handles this. I much prefer to use Audirvana as it offers a nice large screen, DSP control (if you want it) and sounds great. If I can't get the WiiM to work over UPnP with Audirvana I will probably return it. Hard to downgrade to a small screen and an iPad/iPhone for me.
I didn’t say it was difficult. Typically, a « streamer » , is first and foremost a network Player. It shouldn’t stream from a phone, from a computer, it goes get IP packets, and feed samples sequentially as they can be read by a DAC. I do know that by definition a PI can do that. But still in your use case you felt it was relevant to have a computer hosting the player app. The possibilities of a PI, as it is a small computer, are endless, this is true, but you are buying a computer, and yes, computers can stream. It’s just that it feels that many seem to say that a PI defeats the purpose of a device like the one reviewed here, or the purpose of any streamer for that matter, my point was that. well it’s not a complete solution, it’s just the gut. wheter it’s a hat, or trough a USB connection, whatever you do you’ll need a DAC added to it in order for it to produce a single note. Bottom line, to each his needs, each his preference, but I find the argument, that PIs do much more for the price, biased.This guy here has analog inputs, has a DAC, has a nice enclosure, even assuming that with PI the software comes open source, so « free » Still, you don’t get all that for 90 bucks, try it, it don’t adds up. If you need a computer, sure, it does way more but this here is for someone that simply want’s to stream music.

Last edited:

juliangst

I personally hate roon so this product is a winner for me

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Use AirPlay 2 to measure DAC performance - we don't recommend this. AirPlay 2 captures and re-encodes the decoded audio (transcoding) from Apple device and streams it to AirPlay 2 receiver like WiiM Mini. The transcoding involves some type of lossy compression and leads to quality degradation that is not contributed by the DAC.
Do you have proof of this lossy compression? Airplay (both versions) will cause down-sampling to 16/44.1 for hi-res formats with WiFi, but it is said by Apple to be lossless at 16/44.1. Of course, for Bluetooth there is lossy compression.

Top Bottom