• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters

Plugandplay

Hi, apologies if this has been discussed already but searching for exact information is a little difficult and I’m pretty new to these topics! I’m tempted by this device as an inexpensive way to stream audio services via Toslink to a DAC. If I also want to occasionally use Airplay to stream audio from my iPhone, I noted the limitations as being mainly Airplay itself. Are there therefore no other devices which would perform significantly better streaming from an iPhone via Airplay (then Toslink to DAC) as the limitations are common to all of them?

What would be alternative low(ish) cost alternatives to this approach? Having a separate media server which is hooked up to the DAC? Any ideas?

Witterings

Hi, apologies if this has been discussed already but searching for exact information is a little difficult and I’m pretty new to these topics! I’m tempted by this device as an inexpensive way to stream audio services via Toslink to a DAC. If I also want to occasionally use Airplay to stream audio from my iPhone, I noted the limitations as being mainly Airplay itself. Are there therefore no other devices which would perform significantly better streaming from an iPhone via Airplay (then Toslink to DAC) as the limitations are common to all of them?

What would be alternative low(ish) cost alternatives to this approach? Having a separate media server which is hooked up to the DAC? Any ideas?

I believe the limitation is Airplay itself so it doesn't matter what streamer you use it'll be the same.

When you say from your phone, is that files that are downloaded and stored on your phone, if you want better quality then Airplay (which is good enough for most casual listening) you could use the WiiM App or MConnect.

Plugandplay

I believe the limitation is Airplay itself so it doesn't matter what streamer you use it'll be the same.

When you say from your phone, is that files that are downloaded and stored on your phone, if you want better quality then Airplay (which is good enough for most casual listening) you could use the WiiM App or MConnect.
Yes, files already stored on my phone. Will this play files stored on the phone via the WiiM app at higher quality than AirPlay then?

Witterings

Yes, files already stored on my phone. Will this play files stored on the phone via the WiiM app at higher quality than AirPlay then?

Depending what quality the files are then yes ... I understand Airplay 2 does CD quality but personally I don't use it apart from if I'm watching a music video on my tablet and want to send the sound via the stereo system

Witterings

@Plugandplay .... if you're going to get one don't forget with Amazon you can send it back if you don't feel there's any real benefit.

Do you subscribe to a streaming service as well in which case which one because you may be better off with a Pro if you ever want to use Chromecast, or for playing music from youtube videos.

Plugandplay

@Plugandplay .... if you're going to get one don't forget with Amazon you can send it back if you don't feel there's any real benefit.

Do you subscribe to a streaming service as well in which case which one because you may be better off with a Pro if you ever want to use Chromecast, or for playing music from youtube videos.
Thanks, I don’t have an Android device so that’s unlikely but there is a decent discount on the Pro at the moment…

It’s a combination of having a bunch of WAV and FLAC files on my phone but also wanting decent audio if, say, I want to play a video on my iPhone but cast the audio to my hi-fi, using VLC for example, and without having a separate media server.

Witterings

Thanks, I don’t have an Android device so that’s unlikely but there is a decent discount on the Pro at the moment…

It’s a combination of having a bunch of WAV and FLAC files on my phone but also wanting decent audio if, say, I want to play a video on my iPhone but cast the audio to my hi-fi, using VLC for example, and without having a separate media server.

Where / what's the discount on the Pro, I just googled and couldn't find anything ... reason I ask I've a brand new sealed box one I'm thinking about selling.

Not sure whey you mentioned the Android device, wonder if you misunderstood something I said?

I've tried many different ways of casting Audio from a video to stereo and virtually all of them have lip sync issues and I'm sure VLC does so depends whether you're bothered about watching it at the same time or if you just want to cast the music and aren't watching it. I can't remember if realplayer does or not, if I remember I may try it this evening to see but I'm then away for the weekend.

The best solutions with the least lip sync issues I've found were Bluetoooth with APTX or Airplay.

Plugandplay

Where / what's the discount on the Pro, I just googled and couldn't find anything ... reason I ask I've a brand new sealed box one I'm thinking about selling.

Not sure whey you mentioned the Android device, wonder if you misunderstood something I said?

I've tried many different ways of casting Audio from a video to stereo and virtually all of them have lip sync issues and I'm sure VLC does so depends whether you're bothered about watching it at the same time or if you just want to cast the music and aren't watching it. I can't remember if realplayer does or not, if I remember I may try it this evening to see but I'm then away for the weekend.

The best solutions with the least lip sync issues I've found were Bluetoooth with APTX or Airplay.
Ah, it was down to about £125 in the UK when I looked maybe yesterday but not anymore unfortunately.

I assumed you needed and android device for Chromecast… ‍‍

Sometimes the sync is okay with AirPlay from VLC eg to Sonos, other times its terrible but yeah, sometimes I just want to have a video playing like a concert and listen to the audio while working.

codex

ASR friends, I'm so sorry for abusing your wisdom, but one final question, if I may:

What's the best option for reducing volume going from WiiM Mini via optical to SMSL SU-1 -- turn volume down via the WiiM Mini (which I suppose is done via DSP by its DAC?) or passively attenuate it via my JDS Labs Ol Switcher?
Fail to see what's the issue with passive attenuation. Aren't many Class-D amps such as the Fosi Audio V3 and BT20A Pro, the Aiyima A07 etc using a pot anyway in their volume control? Doesn't seem to affect their measurement here?

I'd also go for that instead of abusing the Mini's volume control.

gwing

Fail to see what's the issue with passive attenuation. Aren't many Class-D amps such as the Fosi Audio V3 and BT20A Pro, the Aiyima A07 etc using a pot anyway in their volume control? Doesn't seem to affect their measurement here?

I'd also go for that instead of abusing the Mini's volume control.

Try both methods of attenuation and, if you don't hear a difference, use the most convenient method?

For me it is more convenient to change volume from my desktop than physically on the amp so what I do is set the amp gain such that with with full signal from the source it is just a little louder than I usually want to listen at. Then I just use the Wiim connect volume control to attenuate a little as required (I don't know the internal bit depth on the Wiim so I'm just avoiding too much attenuation on principle - but it may not really matter).

gwing

Try both methods of attenuation and, if you don't hear a difference, use the most convenient method?

For me it is usually more convenient to change volume from my desktop than physically on the amp so what I do is set the amp gain such that with with full signal from the source it is just a little louder than I usually want to listen at. Then I just use the Wiim connect volume control to attenuate a little as required (I don't know the internal bit depth on the Wiim so I'm just avoiding too much attenuation on principle - but it may not really matter).

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm having a technical issue with the Wiim Mini, maybe someone has had the same problem.

I have connected it to an Atom DAC 2 via optical. Whilst using Qobuzz (embedded in the Wiim App) those songs on 24 bit /192 khz are not audible. Then I tried the test provided on the settings (the wiim plays a song on certain parameters that you specify and, if you can hear it, that means that it is working and the signal is coming through) However, it does not make a sound on 24/192, only then I choose 24/96.

Theoretically, Atom DAC 2 can read a 24 bit / 192 Khz signal.
Aso theoretically, Wiim Mini should be able to send this signal bit-perfect through its optical output.

I have requested and received new devices of both, and the problem is still there (by the way, great customer service on JDS Labs)

Maybe someone has encountered a similar issue?
Hi, *should* be fine. I don't have the exact same setup but I do have a WiiM mini => optical => miniDSP set to 24/192 and it all works flawlessly. I stream from Amazon using the WiiM app. I do know that I can't hear anything better than 16/44.1 but that's not the point.

Silly question, but have you set your WiiM audio settings to output at 24/192?
I have read other posts where the cable was faulty. Have you tried a different cable (not an expensive one, just a different make)? I use a "UGreen" cable from Amazon which seems to be well made.

Frustrating - good luck

Gambertuni

Forum Donor
Hi, *should* be fine. I don't have the exact same setup but I do have a WiiM mini => optical => miniDSP set to 24/192 and it all works flawlessly. I stream from Amazon using the WiiM app. I do know that I can't hear anything better than 16/44.1 but that's not the point.

Silly question, but have you set your WiiM audio settings to output at 24/192?
I have read other posts where the cable was faulty. Have you tried a different cable (not an expensive one, just a different make)? I use a "UGreen" cable from Amazon which seems to be well made.

Frustrating - good luck
I found out that the cable was not properly connected. Sorry about that and thanks a lot for your answer

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I found out that the cable was not properly connected. Sorry about that and thanks a lot for your answer
Cool, it's often the little things (as in life!). Glad you got it sorted

codex

For me it is more convenient to change volume from my desktop than physically on the amp so what I do is set the amp gain such that with with full signal from the source it is just a little louder than I usually want to listen at. Then I just use the Wiim connect volume control to attenuate a little as required (I don't know the internal bit depth on the Wiim so I'm just avoiding too much attenuation on principle - but it may not really matter).
True! To me, though, nothing beats a beefy volume knob right at hand.

And it may be my impression, but the fact that these are often essentially controlling a potentiometer and what kind of a potentiometer that is does not appear to be worthy of discussion in most reviews. It is instead taken for granted in references to 'the volume pot', when perhaps newbie users (such as myself) may have absolutely no idea that what this means is that the sound is being passively attenuated.

When one finally learns this, these amazing little devices that passive attenuators / switchers are emerge under completely different light. One should know that and feel free to use those liberally, at least the quality ones, without fear of loss of fidelity. Can the same be said of DSP applied by the Mini's SoC? Do the other WiiMs use a different SoC, can be Roon endpoints etc? Why?

I for one would be amazingly interested in seeing all of this measured / compared. Until then, I stay with the knob!

Top Bottom