• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM in disguise - the Andover Songbird is a WiiM!

martytoo

When using the Fing app on my Android phone recently I noticed something that had previously escaped my attention. That is that the Andover Songbird is reported as a WiiMu LinkPlayer. Aside from the physical similarity to my WiiM Mini-55CE the functionality seems just about identical. The WiiM app will play the Songbird and the Songbird app will play the WiiM. So the question I have is whether the firmware from the WiiM might be able to update the Songbird.

I also wonder if the Songbird is really a WiiM or if this is a false report. Notice that the Songbird is also recognized as a Nintendo product in the clip below.

Just a thought. (I bought my Songbird long before the WiiM was marketed. I like them both.)

SmartSelect_20230225_094946_Fing.jpg

OP
M

martytoo

There seem to be quite a few devices that share the same wifi module.
Yes, but Fing is a WiFi scanner and the device is recognized as WiiMu. The other devices that use the Linkplay software do not report themselves as WiiMu - but you are likely correct. I am thinking that the same engineers may have initially developed that two but there is no way for me to guess that. They share almost the exact same functionality and that goes beyond the Wifi module.

Top Bottom