• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wife finds theatre too loud. Bumming me out! How can I make it 5db quieter for only her?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

rgpit

Forum Donor

Pier75

Are you referring to that 2-word colloquialism defined as:
"An enabler who promotes your 'stoner alcoholism' by bringing you 'beer' which you are too messed up to retrieve on your own."
If so, it will cause a bigger rift in the house by at least +12dB.
Tsk, tsk! ;)
Well you know a relationship is all about giving and taking... give me another beer and don't forget to take the empty bottle to the kitchen. The giving and taking is what brings balance and warmth to a relationship, and the universe. Not sure about the stoner part, I don't do drugs since poking smot bauses craindamage...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Turn it down and deal with it. It could be worse. My wife is cant hear and and cranks the volume so loud you can hear it on the moon:)
Through the empty vacuum of space.

That's pretty damn loud.:D
:D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In all seriousness. Would using sound absorbing panels w/higher WAF (aka pleasing to the eye) index than trying to achieve the 5dB you are having difficulties meeting even w/a wallop of suggestions...?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
After movie started, once your wife get used to the volume, slowly turn up the volume 1db by 1db.....She might not even notice once she slowly get used to louder volume.

Newman

Major Contributor
…unless the volume pops up on the screen every time you change it! :eek:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a couple of thoughts from going through this before as well..
-Measure with REW or you can even use the results of the audyssey app/dirac results to know if there is something that could be fixed with some eq... it is hard to know for sure without some measurements
-Is it the high frequencies or the bass that she doesn't like. Some people are more sensitive in the 1-5K area it seems
-If she just needs it turned down a bit and doesn't have an issue with bass (some people don't like too much bass too!), then you need to compensate for the loss of bass at lower volumes. Listen at her volume and add 2-6dB of bass below 125hz depending on how low the volume it is she likes. When listening at low volume it can be very unsatisfying until some bass is restored. With bass restored it can still sound pretty good.
-If from your measurements it is too flat or boosted in the 1-5K range it may help to EQ that down to make it flatter or slightly descending in slope if it isn't already..

Pier75

Senhieser has the RS headsets, they are wireless (not bluetooth) and if you have two, you and your wife could have the same audio but at a sound level of your own choosing. Not sure if they still have it, but they also had a surround version with multiple speakers in them. Maybe that would be something to investigate? Probably bluetooth could also work and other brands may also have options for a silent disco/home theater solution.
If not then maybe you should consider replacing the wife?

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Home cinema didn’t last too long here due to WAF. In defence of Ann she is usually very tolerant of my take on sound reproduction and volume. Had one of the rear speakers just behind her left ear, watching an action movie and a gun was fired into her left ear never seen her move as fast. She made a suggestion putting it politely we should move back to stereo.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
we should move back to stereo
I would like to congratulate Ann! She may be the wiser one in that household. :oops:
Now, you will have (A)MORE money to spend on just 2 speakers, plus ^hardware, and (B)MORE time to enjoy the music!
It's all good.... even for your french bulldog's ears...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a home theatre and wife and I constantly fight on sound level. I spent a lot of time and money in there and I really want to feel it. I should add that I actually don’t want to listen to it super loud or anything. I’m probably below average even!

5db is making all the difference. It’s perfect for her but too quiet for me, and 5db more is perfect for me but too loud for her.

How can we reduce it by 5db just for her? I was thinking high end ear plugs but they tend to reduce sound by like 15db.

Any ideas?
Listen to your wife and save your hearing.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I would like to congratulate Ann! She may be the wiser one in that household. :oops:
Now, you will have (A)MORE money to spend on just 2 speakers, plus ^hardware, and (B)MORE time to enjoy the music!
It's all good.... even for your french bulldog's ears...
Thanks and Merry Christmas, she is definitely the one with the sensible head and a lot better looking to boot. My functions in our family life are 1. Walking Boris, 2. Carrying the heavy shopping, 3. Spending money on HiFi.
Speaking of which should I trade in my Kudos X1s for bigger ones? it is Christmas!
Can’t play Rory Block anymore Boris joins in just with her.

Top Bottom