• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Widening The Stereo Field Of Conventional Stereo Recordings

OP
J

jedaisoul

I couldn't detect any extra signal effects in 4 channel stereo mode...
It is great to hear from someone with experience of a similar setup to mine. I am pleased that you found it preferable to turn off the centre channel. Also that you found some benefit in setting the outboard speakers to -3dB. However, though I admire your fortitude in tolerating the constraints of the "sweet spot", I prefer to widen the focus by placing the speakers in line, or in a wide arc.

Most of my experience has been with six channel systems. I find it useful to keep the overall output level constant when comparing different settings. So, much of my time has been spent designing a series of connection boxes to link a stereo source (laptop PC + external DAC) to the multi-channel system. The box keeps the output level constant (within +-0.2dB), and also allows a comparison between two channels and four/six channels.

I find that 100% increase (doubling the width) of the stereo field with four channels, and 150% increase (2.5 times the width) with six channels produces a stereo field that is noticeably superior to two channels. So if you have the opportunity to try a six channel system, I would strongly recommend it. Not that the stereo field is dramatically wider. Rather, six channels allow the speakers to be placed closer together whilst achieving a sixty degree wide stereo field.

OP
J

jedaisoul

the future of 3-D audio is probably this...
Wow, if this lives up to the hype, it should revolutionise the reproduction of stereo media. :) But you know what they say "if it sounds too good to be true...". So for the time being,I'll stick to my much more modest objectives of achieving something better than conventional two speaker stereo reproduction.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Wow, if this lives up to the hype, it should revolutionise the reproduction of stereo media. :) But you know what they say "if it sounds too good to be true...". So for the time being,I'll stick to my much more modest objectives of achieving something better than conventional two speaker stereo reproduction.

well, the revolution has started with Ambiophonics, but it has this huge problem that people use screens lol (ever tried this?). BACCH seams to be the next step in this revolution. it's very far from beeing hype, it's implementation is expensive af atm.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Now that I think about it, I experience 3D audio all the time.

The stereo is a nice break from that monotony, hopefully, without any extradimensional interruptions.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Now that I think about it, I experience 3D audio all the time.

The stereo is a nice break from that monotony, hopefully, without any extradimensional interruptions.

well, don't confuse with surround sound. this is not to "make airplanes fly over your head". the idea is to make reproduction of recorded sound more realistic as there is much more ambience in them then our stereo triangle reproductio of 60 degrees is limited too

OP
J

jedaisoul

well, the revolution has started with Ambiophonics, but it has this huge problem that people use screens lol (ever tried this?). BACCH seams to be the next step in this revolution. it's very far from beeing hype, it's implementation is expensive af atm.
I'm not sure what significance using screens has? Except that, if Choueiri is right, the stereo channels could be pre-processed and then transmitted, and the sound emanating from the TV will be as pure as the most expensive exotica. Its flaws, however horrendous, will disappear... And that's not hype???

Also being expensive does not preclude it being hyped up. I would have thought that necessitates it?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I'm not sure what significance using screens has? Except that, if Choueiri is right, the stereo channels could be pre-processed and then transmitted, and the sound emanating from the TV will be as pure as the most expensive exotica. Its flaws, however horrendous, will disappear... And that's not hype???

Also being expensive does not preclude it being hyped up. I would have thought that necessitates it?

well. I am no advocate of this stuff, since I tried none of this. just found it intresting. we'll see what the future brings

EDIT: when I mentioned the screen it was because with Ambiophonics you can't use any since the speakers are in a 8 degree angle in front of you

OP
J

jedaisoul

indeed.

EDIT: Thanks for clarifying the reference to TVs.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I wonder if using the simple Hafler circuit matrix (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafler_circuit) but instead of feeding the out off phase material behind, feeding it into 2 aditional speakers wider then the 2 in normal stereo triangle could naturaly extend the soundfield; like so (obviously the speakers would be angled):
hafler wide stereo.jpg

OP
J

jedaisoul

I wonder if using the simple Hafler circuit matrix (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafler_circuit) but instead of feeding the out off phase material behind, feeding it into 2 aditional speakers wider then the 2 in normal stereo triangle could naturaly extend the soundfield; like so (obviously the speakers would be angled):
I can't comment on your suggestion per se, as the only "processing" I use is to feed the separate stereo channels at varying levels to two or three input channels of the multi-channel amp. I only manipulate the volume. No cross feeding, no extracting out-of-phase content.

Top Bottom