• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Widening The Stereo Field Of Conventional Stereo Recordings

jedaisoul

The scope for DIY in Hi-Fi is enormous, and can provide an absorbing hobby as well as, hopefully, delivering quality sound. For a number of years I have been interested in widening the stereo field of stereo recordings. I always felt that a pair of speakers placed across the minor dimension of the listening room leaves something to be desired. Whilst, at the other extreme, AV surround sound just does not appeal to me for a variety of reasons. My objective is to produce a sixty degree wide stereo field in front of the listener.

You can widen the stereo field by simply placing the speakers further apart. However, the central images can become diffuse if the speakers are placed much more than thirty degrees apart. Indeed, this may be why, with two channel systems, the speakers ARE placed across the minor dimension of the listening room. So, instead, I connect the output of a stereo source to a multi-channel system. Having built a range of systems, I am confident that both four channel and six channel systems can support a sixty degree wide stereo field, with the step from two to four channels being quite apparent. The further benefit of using six channels is more subtle.

If anyone is interested in building a stereo field system, I would offer the following advice:

1. If you have an AV 5.1 or 7.1 system with an external RCA analogue multi-channel input and a separate stereo source, it is easy to set up a four channel stereo field system with just a few RCA Y phono cables:

a) Disconnect the centre and the surround-back speakers (if fitted).

b) Move the front and surround speakers into a line or arc, spaced apart by half the distance from the listening position. E.g. If the speakers are 2 metres from the listener, space them 1 metre apart.

c) Connect a male-to-male RCA Y adapter cable between the left channel output of the stereo source and the left front and surround inputs of the AV amp's external input.

d) Connect a male-to-male RCA Y adapter cable between the right channel output of the stereo source and the right front and surround inputs of the AV amp's external input.

e) Select "External input" (or some such) and adjust the AV amps channel volume controls to set the front channels to 0dB and the surround channels to -3dB. If desired, you may adjust the surround channels in the range +3dB to -6dB, to fine tune the width of the stereo field.

f) You may need to add a further RCA Y adapter to feed a subwoofer. If so, connect a Y adapter between one (not both) of the source channel output and the subwoofer input. Note: It is possible that this may affect the stereo balance. If that does occur, add an RCA Y adapter between the other stereo output and the centre channel input of the the AV amp. This may seem a strange thing to do, as the centre channel is not used, but it is purely to balance the load seen by the stereo source.

2. To reliably compare the settings you need a Stereo Field unit. This unit keeps the overall output constant whilst the settings are varied. The units are comprised of resistors acting as potential dividers, with no crossfeeding of the channels and less than 1dB overall insertion loss. The key factors in their design are:

a) The units must be matched to the input impedance of the multi-channel amplifier. Simpler units are designed to feed a fixed 47K Ohm input impedance. More complex designs can match fixed input impedances from 10K Ohms to 1M Ohms. Note: If the input impedance of the multi-channel amp varies (e.g. with the setting of the volume control) you may need to add a buffer unit to provide a fixed input impedance.

b) The designs have been optimised using a computer app. Those using switches to vary the stereo field are level to +-0.2dB, whilst designs using potentiometers are level to +-1dB (plus component tolerances). Note: The listening room and the placement of the speakers can have a significant effect on the overall level. So some experimentation with the layout may be needed to get the best effect.

Unfortunately, Stereo Field units are not available commercially. However, I can supply a link to a web site on which I have put instructions for how to build your own Stereo Field unit. As the units are purely passive, with no power supply, building one should be within the abilities of anyone familiar with using a soldering iron! Alternatively, I may be able to supply on loan a few Stereo Field units from the prototypes I have made. However, I would stress that these are constructed to "hobbyist" standards and lack the "feel" of professional units.

Please let me know if you are interested in any further information...

OP
J

jedaisoul

I do not see the relevance of that. Please explain. Thanks.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Does your circuit try to compensate for tonal colouration caused by the additional crosstalk?

OP
J

jedaisoul

Does your circuit try to compensate for tonal colouration caused by the additional crosstalk?
No it does not. Nor is it intended nor capable of such processing. Rather, it is implicitly based on the simplistic model by which the acoustic images were placed in an imaginary sound field using pan pots of the mixing desk. I.e. That a signal fed equally and in phase to both channels will produce a virtual image centrally between the speakers. That seems to me to be a fundamental assumption of conventional stereo recordings.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
buy some Bose 901s

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
buy some Bose 901s
Or a Behringer DEQ2496 Ultracurve Pro. It can control the stereo width. I use an old Behringer Ultrafex pro (analog width enhancer) between preamp and active speakers when necessary.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Playing with multi channel can be fun or it can be aweful. It almost seems to a track by track basis wether it works. I've had fun with it in the past using adhoc 7.2 for stereo recordings. Best results for me were with classic trance.

OP
J

jedaisoul

Or a Behringer DEQ2496 Ultracurve Pro. It can control the stereo width. I use an old Behringer Ultrafex pro (analog width enhancer) between preamp and active speakers when necessary.
From what little I have gleaned from the net, the Behringer DEQ2496 is used for mastering the recordings prior to production. As such it is part of the creative process of producing the recordings. I have no wish to modify the stereo recordings in this, or any other, way. My objective is to minimise a problem that arises in the reproduction of the recordings. I.e. That there is a play-off between the width of the stereo field that can be produced by two speakers, and the diffusion of the central images that this produces.

OP
J

jedaisoul

Playing with multi channel can be fun or it can be aweful. It almost seems to a track by track basis wether it works. I've had fun with it in the past using adhoc 7.2 for stereo recordings. Best results for me were with classic trance.
Thanks for this.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've played with this setup before, except I just used the reciever's all channel stereo mode instead of Y-splitters. When I had a small bedroom system setup at my parent's I liked this arrangement a lot. I had the outboard speakers at the same volume as the inboards, and made sure that both left speakers were equal distance from my left ear, and both right speakers equal distance from my right ear. This produced a head in a vice requirement for preventing comb filtering at each ear, but I thought it sounded great. Small head movements forward or backward would cause noticeable equalization effects. As annoying as it was, I learned to stay in that tiny sweet spot because it unquestionably sounded better to me than just the two speakers.

Instrumental

From what little I have gleaned from the net, the Behringer DEQ2496 is used for mastering the recordings prior to production.

Then you must glean some more in other places!
You might be surprised how many other uses an equailiser can have.
Just now mine is making The Rosenberg Trio appear in my speakers just as I like it.

OP
J

jedaisoul

I've played with this setup before...
Thanks for giving your experiences. Firstly, are you sure that the receiver was just feeding all channels equally without additional processing? Secondly, I find that feeding the signals equally to all channels is not optimal. I merely mentioned that option as a minimum cost option. I find that setting the "surround" channels to -3dB (half power) is generally better. That is why the Stereo Field units support a range of settings of the "surround" channels from -6dB to +3dB (with respect to the front channels).

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for giving your experiences. Firstly, are you sure that the receiver was just feeding all channels equally without additional processing? Secondly, I find that feeding the signals equally to all channels is not optimal. I merely mentioned that option as a minimum cost option. I find that setting the "surround" channels to -3dB (half power) is generally better. That is why the Stereo Field units support a range of settings of the "surround" channels from -6dB to +3dB (with respect to the front channels).
I couldn't detect any extra signal effects in 4 channel stereo mode except for the center channel, which had some mix of left and right fed to it. I turned it off. If I left it on the sound got a little dull and thick. I had the two front speakers at about 30 degrees and the outboards at 60 degrees. There were also some tube traps in there creating somewhat of an attack wall. It was easy for me to adjust the volume. Setting the outboards at -3 db produced less severe comb filtering when not in the sweet spot. I used it that way some of the time. When in the sweet spot I preferred equal volume. It produced pinpoint imaging, a wide sound stage, and a good sense of spaciousness all at the same time.

Another nice thing about this setup is that if a Dolby digital surround track came on it would switch over. I think surround tracks with all the channels up front sounds great. I don't particularly care for having speakers behind me. It'd make more sense if there were screens back there too. Ooh, a new way to sell more TVs! I'd love to hear some 5 channel or 7 channel stereo music designed to be listened to as an array of speakers up front only. We have the hardware.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In 1985, Yamaha released this:

1596583326798.png

Two channels in. Six channels out. Fully editable venues and effects channels. 16bit/44.1K. Apart from residual noise from the A/Ds, it's still an amazing unit for soundfield creation.

Top Bottom