• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wide dispersion DIY PLEASE not BMR yet the force is not yet strong enough in me (for beautiful finish)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, as for other DIY designs that have good directivity and supply decent measurements to prove, check out :

sychan

Forum Donor
I actually wanted this to be my second speaker but I thought they were finished with this speaker. Are they still providing kits for this one?

@Dennis Murphy got the new batch of crossovers and was starting to send out the kits to people on the waitlist, but apparently PE sold off most of one of the drivers to a corporate buyer, which delayed the latest AAM. You might be able to get in on the current round if you contact Dennis.

DanielT

Major Contributor
DIY because it's fun. For example, "regular" two-way speakers, where there are so many good value ready-made. Although it does not prevent you to DIY some yourself, for the mentioned reason.:)

You may have different needs, then you may need to tailor. For example, a subwoofer under the sofa. So it fits under your own sofa.

Tip, here we are talking about dispersion via both front and rear-firing tweeters (simultaneously). Also a little about, dipoles and omnis. Good dispersion in that thread (I know it was too simple, I could not help it).:D

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wayne Parham’s PI 4s may fit the bill, they are wide (uniform) directivity bass reflex with compression driver/waveguided tweeters the plans are free, support is great, a few options on drivers. Wayne publishes measurements.

www.pispeakers.com

DanielT

Major Contributor
Here are tips on a good midrange driver:

"Taking into account the high technical performance and very low cost, TC9FD18-08, in my opinion, is just incredible speaker! "

There are even those who like it as much as.. check post number 1358.

Mr DIY himself comments on these:

updatepanel.jpg

Absolutely incredible. :)

Edit:
Two of these I built computer / desktop speakers with. Chose them mostly because of the relatively high sensitivity.

There are others who have used them:

Attachments

• shot_2021-12-30_14-46-58.png
    shot_2021-12-30_14-46-58.png
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20211230_145356.jpg
    IMG_20211230_145356.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here are tips on a good midrange driver:

There are others who have used them:

Those sound really good... I know youtube yadayada and they are outside, but wow. *starts researching line arrays*

DanielT

Major Contributor
Those sound really good... I know youtube yadayada and they are outside, but wow. *starts researching line arrays*
Line speakers have advantages and disadvantages. If you get them well done and they fit in the listening room (aesthetically and acoustically), they are probably really good.:)

Here DIY with such:

Attachments

• 20220103_141056.jpg
    20220103_141056.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220105_112711.jpg
    20220105_112711.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 77
OP
N

Nwickliff

I so appreciate all the suggestions. As I am new to this and have only put together flat packs I would like to construct my own enclosure for the first time. This means line arrays are probably not going to be my first enclosure build :)

• So hoping to build my own enclosure
  • would like to experiment with a wide dispersion design
  • probably a bookshelf but not against a floor stander
  • Would like bass around 40hz in room (probably cross to sub at 60hz)
  • don't want to spend more than $300-400 on this kit
  • needs simple baffle cutout so no strange driver designs that can't be cut out with a router and jasper jig
So gar Keramiskas seems like what I might be looking at. I wish there were off-axis measurements so I could see the dispersion of the speaker but as some have stated, the ribbon should lend itself to a wide dispersion.

sychan

Forum Donor
  • So hoping to build my own enclosure
  • would like to experiment with a wide dispersion design
  • probably a bookshelf but not against a floor stander
  • Would like bass around 40hz in room (probably cross to sub at 60hz)
  • don't want to spend more than $300-400 on this kit
  • needs simple baffle cutout so no strange driver designs that can't be cut out with a router and jasper jig
Is this wide dispersion enough?
index.php

You can find the improved crossover in the HiVi 3.1 review thread and easily pick up the drivers at PE.

OP
N

Nwickliff

Is this wide dispersion enough?
index.php

You can find the improved crossover in the HiVi 3.1 review thread and easily pick up the drivers at PE.
I did see this way back. Noticed the Amazon kit was gone a while back. I guess I didn't think to find the parts elsewhere. The other complication would be finding the measurements for the enclosure. Properly spacing the drivers and and cutting out the square for the tweeter. I suppose the tweeter is closed though so I just would need to make sure it could fit through and the flush mount part was cut accurately. Hmm...

sychan

Forum Donor
I did see this way back. Noticed the Amazon kit was gone a while back. I guess I didn't think to find the parts elsewhere. The other complication would be finding the measurements for the enclosure. Properly spacing the drivers and and cutting out the square for the tweeter. I suppose the tweeter is closed though so I just would need to make sure it could fit through and the flush mount part was cut accurately. Hmm...

I actually have one of these kits in the garage and I can measure the spacing on the baffle for you, in fact I would sell it if you were interested. These HiVi 3.1a are kind of halfway between my 2 way bookshelf speakers and my BMRs and I am not sure when I'd actually build them and find a place for them. At the same time, they are clearly a really nice kit and it is tempting to build them up.

OP
N

Nwickliff

I actually have one of these kits in the garage and I can measure the spacing on the baffle for you, in fact I would sell it if you were interested. These HiVi 3.1a are kind of halfway between my 2 way bookshelf speakers and my BMRs and I am not sure when I'd actually build them and find a place for them. At the same time, they are clearly a really nice kit and it is tempting to build them up.
I would be very interested in purchasing from you. It's exactly what I am interested in, as far as an inexpensive go between what I have now and an eventual BMR I would like to build.

Ericglo

BTW, I really am not a huge fan of the BMR drivers. I know they are seen as the bees knees currently, and measure well, but they've not really impressed me except in the larger varieties. I've heard the 2.5" in the BMR monitor, as well as about 4 other pair, and it was okay about 40% of the time.

I haven't heard much about the BMRs outside of Dennis's speaker. Could you expand a little on your observations? I thought the smaller ones might be better for mid to hi frequencies. I believe Erin measured one a couple of years ago.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've heard several... (PE member names posted)

jhollander had his 'BMR-3L' with the 3.5". They sounded great with the right tuning and really doug deeply for a 3.5", however there was a deep and narrow response aberration in its response due to the type of driver it is. It did not seem to be audible. The mechanical damping was really impressive that it did not shoot the membrane across the room.

The following all used the same Tectonic BMR as the BMR-monitor;

4thtry built his 'Totally Flat', and those were just fantastic. He paired it with a small AMT and the Dayton LW5 woofer and won his class at MWAF that year. He also built the 'Plumbers Delight', which won the Nanotech compy for InDIYana and the integration on those was just spectacular.

paulk built his 'Balmora' 3-ways, and they did not impress me. It might be that he used the minimum volume 'required' for the mid, or the fact that I don't like the SB19 in general either, but they were just bland by comparison to a lot of his other projects.

I think it really comes down to the supporting drivers and finesse of the designer. The 2" mid as it stands is not the most resolving in detail, but it tends to be pretty smooth and has great off-axis measurements and responses.

Top Bottom