• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

wich stack ? topping (D30pro+A30pro) , smsl (sh-9 + su-9) or ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
My post isn't trolling, but based on my experience. I have two Chinese made units stopped working after 2 and 5 years. As a professional electronic engineer, I can assure, they had a good idea behind, but execution is awful. So, no more Chinese units for me.
So what's wrong with the two units?

MOCKBA

Both are DAC+Amplifier, one is Audio GD to be more specific with 10! years warranty, second is no name device for same purpose. Audi GD just started losing sound and now only do some static noise. Regarding second device, it looks like a power supply died, it doesn't turn on . I could be more happy to send them to you when have a time

aandres_gm

Both are DAC+Amplifier, one is Audio GD to be more specific with 10! years warranty, second is no name device for same purpose. Audi GD just started losing sound and now only do some static noise. Regarding second device, it looks like a power supply died, it doesn't turn on . I could be more happy to send them to you when have a time
I had a French car that had some electrical issues. French engineering sucks, I would never buy their products again.

Am I doing this right?

raif71

Major Contributor
I had a French car that had some electrical issues. French engineering sucks, I would never buy their products again.

Am I doing this right?
I thought Audi is made in germany :p

THW

Forum Donor
My post isn't trolling, but based on my experience. I have two Chinese made units stopped working after 2 and 5 years. As a professional electronic engineer, I can assure, they had a good idea behind, but execution is awful. So, no more Chinese units for me.

FWIW, my DX3 Pro V1 and my other various FiiO stuff are still working even after at least 2 and a half years and don’t seem to be skipping a beat, just got to find the right companies

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
OK you are new here, so this gets a pass. This is a Science first, facts first type of Forumn. When someone makes bold claims like you did, you will get challenged to provide proof/evidence to back up your claims. The failures you experienced, while unfortunate and did not set a good impression upon you individually, does not in the slightest add up to the general criticism you accused of basically all Chinese products. It comes off as a veiled racist comment. So, in the future be prepared to scientifically defend your generalized value statements here. Also remember we have a very diverse make up of members from all around the globe. We don’t permit Geopolitics here. Thank you for your understanding.

Brianc

My stack is the d30pro + smsl sh9. I believe in coexistence.
I have the DX3 pro and jdslabs atom. Thinking of replacing the Atom with the SH9. Would get the superior volume control and lose at least one massive wall wart power supply.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If your Schiit products (I hope you know what "Schiit" means) died during a year, you can replace them by a warranty without a problem. Chinese products have much worse reliability and actually poor designed. It keeps me away from topping and other vendors from that region.
This is a too general statement and actually is false. The fact that you kept saying Chinese, region was not a good look. Yes the total crap you bought were actually worse than schiit. But I can tell you we, topping, have way higher standard in quality than schiit.

Cidious

This is a too general statement and actually is false. The fact that you kept saying Chinese, region was not a good look. Yes the total crap you bought were actually worse than schiit. But I can tell you we, topping, have way higher standard in quality than schiit.

I can confirm this. Own(ed) 6 Topping products (3x DX3 Pro, D50s, A50s, D30 Pro).

The D50s went into some service mode after I maybe mistakenly plugged the 15v plug from the A50s in it (not sure though). Contacted Topping. They took it back fixed it and send it back to me within a week's time.
I destroyed one DX3 Pro myself with some soldering stupidity and again I reached out to topping and bought a new PCB for a very reasonable price and that same unit is still running today with the replacement PCB.

Whenever I reach out to the factory shop they answer me correctly and timely and always come with a solution even if it's my own stupidity.

I've had zero issues with the other products.

Also I have inspected their boards and the soldering, in general it seems solid. I did find that the headphone jacks sometimes could use a bit more solder on the joints but other than that nothing really to complain about the assembling either.

I do have to mention I'm located in China so I can more easily ship back and forth to them but their attitude has been more than gracious to me. Whenever I look for new audio gear I'll first have a look in their product line for performance and quality. They have earned that by now.

The only thing I dislike is the forcing of MQA licensing fees. They used to offer an option without MQA but like the D70s only comes with MQA now at a higher price. I would have bought it over the D30 Pro, but I don't want to be forced to pay for something that's a scam and is utterly useless. I wish they would give us a choice to not pay for useless features like that.

This is just my experience and opinion.

Last edited:

Cidious

WeChat Image_20210729172303.jpg
WeChat Image_20210729172256.jpg

Very satisfied with the stack and it's functioning. When turning off the amp it will automatically pass through the XLRs to the speakers (TRS). I did change the feet for some aesthetic reasons.

WeChat Image_20210729172318.jpg
WeChat Image_20210729172314.jpg

Can't hear any difference between A30 Pro and A50s but I do hear a difference between D50s and D30 Pro. The D30 Pro seemingly being more forward and present. I favor the D30 Pro but I had nothing to complain about the D50s either. (MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION).

Recommended.

Last edited:

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

archerious

This is a based reply :D and yet is 100% true. Audio-gd is such junk.

Top Bottom