• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wich DIY preamp in 2022 ?

ga35

Hi everyone!

I'm currently thinking about a total reconfiguration of my actual setup. And I wish to reconsider electronics parts in full DIY. I'm looking for a preamplifier with some keys characteristics :
  • MC/MM preamplifier
  • Unbalanced line level inputs (at least 2 or 3)
  • Volume control
  • Easy to find components
  • Extras features :
    • Tone control
    • Bal/unbal inputs/outputs
After some search, I found 3 articles published some years ago in Elektor Magazine by Douglas Self: Elektor Preamp2012.
It sound very interesting to me, and fit my needs.

But, maybe there are other options that I did not find ?

Thanks

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone!

I'm currently thinking about a total reconfiguration of my actual setup. And I wish to reconsider electronics parts in full DIY. I'm looking for a preamplifier with some keys characteristics :
  • MC/MM preamplifier
  • Unbalanced line level inputs (at least 2 or 3)
  • Volume control
  • Easy to find components
  • Extras features :
    • Tone control
    • Bal/unbal inputs/outputs
After some search, I found 3 articles published some years ago in Elektor Magazine by Douglas Self: Elektor Preamp2012.
It sound very interesting to me, and fit my needs.

But, maybe there are other options that I did not find ?

Thanks
Is the PreAmp 2012 using OP amps?

OP
G

ga35

Is the PreAmp 2012 using OP amps?

Yes opamp and transistor (with, unfortunately, an obsolete part, but it seems there is an equivalent available)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... Lets see this Elektor Preamp2012. Can you post a pic of it?

OP
G

ga35

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a OP amp rolling dream.
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.elektormagazine.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F12%2F20160930113429_110650-51.jpg

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Hmm, I think not. The implementation seems to be different and it doesn't have MM/MC preamp. I don't have access to Linear Audio, for my information why you looked it ?
Just a vague recollection of a project by the same designer that might fit the requirements. I didn't have time to check so thought I'd throw it in just in case, rather than intend to check it later and forget. It seems I was mixing up memories of this article and separate ones about phono stages and subsonic filters (see @LTig's links above)

Top Bottom