• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The question ”Why?” was the single question on a philosophical exam test conducted many years ago. While many students wrote page after page, the only one that got highest point left the test after 3 minutes. The answer?

Why not?

(OT: could not resist :))

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The question ”Why?” was the single question on a philosophical exam test conducted many years ago. While many students wrote page after page, the only one that got highest point left the test after 3 minutes. The answer?

Why not?

For this anekdote you surely have some reference? ;)

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And then likely hundreds of more directions, such as "don't answer my question with a question" which is akin to "answer my question first". Or when it gets more heated, "Why the hell not?" . . .

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Sustainability to me is when stuff can be reused and the source is clean. It's not possible to solve it piece by piece: this takes to much time and debate rather than solutions. You can see this for example in how politics mostly deals with the problem vs the result. (Sadly I found this also true for most "environmentally aware" action groups. )

However, three achievements imo have been a great success and will help us all to achieve great(er) sustainability:
1) The German law that required the electrical suppliers to take back and pay a good and fixed price for locally produced electricity (solar panels).
2) Wind power being implemented so much that it is now cheaper than coal.
3) Tesla relentlessly driving the cost of batteries down.

TimF

Forum Donor
Buying (audio equipment, guns, cars, wrist watches, etc. ) is barely conscious and hardly if at all intentioned. We buy because we are told to and it is what my class of people do. Also, I believe, we are occupying ourselves in activities that are the least consequential. We fret and measure and obsess about matters that are utterly inconsequential....and hence harmless. Retreat from reality? They will buy what is put out on the shelves. Play and games are activities where we occupy ourselves with concerns that do not have real consequences. Our enthusiast interests are more akin to play and fantasy and give us a break from hard realities. Okay by me.

Last edited:
OP
Eidie

Eidie

Respect.
No wonder your sense of priorities is different than ours and, dare I say, wiser.
In the comfort of our health and wealth, we fail to value what is important. Sometimes it takes a slap in the face to wake up and reconsider.
That slap in the face is usually health-related.
We should all take a step back sometimes and think things through. We don't need a lot of the things we buy.
Perhaps a lesson for all of us is to learn to be satisfied with less. Buddha once said: "The less you have, the less you have to worry about".
May be it's true.

Glad you fulfilled a dream with your hi-fi purchase. Enjoy it. That's a wish from the bottom of my heart.
You, gsp1971, are imbued with wisdom. This post I treasure. There are those with insight and care. Thank you.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Why not?

I did S-level biology in the late ‘80s. One question on the final exam was:

“You are what you eat. Discuss”

My answer:

True, if cannibal.

I passed.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Sustainability to me is when stuff can be reused and the source is clean. It's not possible to solve it piece by piece: this takes to much time and debate rather than solutions. You can see this for example in how politics mostly deals with the problem vs the result. (Sadly I found this also true for most "environmentally aware" action groups. )

However, three achievements imo have been a great success and will help us all to achieve great(er) sustainability:
1) The German law that required the electrical suppliers to take back and pay a good and fixed price for locally produced electricity (solar panels).

Absolutely. It requires economy wide solutions. As individuals that is beyond our scope. We all have power. How we choose to spend.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Buying (audio equipment, guns, cars, wrist watches, etc. ) is barely conscious and hardly if at all intentioned. We buy because we are told to and it is what my class of people do. Also, I believe, we are occupying ourselves in activities that are the least consequential. We fret and measure and obsess about matters that are utterly inconsequential....and hence harmless. Retreat from reality? They will buy what is put out on the shelves.

They or we? Do you not have agency. There is truth, I believe, to the sedating power of consumption. We all have power. How we spend. How we consume. “We buy because we are told to and it is what my class of people do.” Do you not have free will?

OP
Eidie

Eidie

The 1950s-era stuff here, which 1) still works and 2) for which most if not all mission-critical parts are still available (at least for now) represent, to me, the ultimate in sustainability, at least in terms of electronics. It doesn't hurt that the unbalanced "line level" and RIAA (LP record) standards haven't really changed for a long, long time :)

As an aside_ I do know some otherwise normal people who, by choice, use audio components that are even older than '50s-era consumer componentry (FWIW).

View attachment 145057
How efficient is that beast? Totally with you on the use of (some) resources. How many Watts does it consume for each Watt it puts out?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How efficient is that beast? Totally with you on the use of (some) resources. How many Watts does it consume for each Watt it puts out?

I guess he'll have a nuclear reactor in the basement to keep this thing running forever.

I did S-level biology in the late ‘80s. One question on the final exam was:

“You are what you eat. Discuss”

My answer:

True, if cannibal.

I passed.

Curious.. Cannibals don't eat themselves. For cannibals, it should be: "I'm am you, eaten" :facepalm:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eidie, I'm really happy you have found a hifi system that brings you pleasure. Your motivations are clearly more important than mine.

As to your original question: I have no idea.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

This are tube watts, cant compare to ss watts.

Was a insider joke ;)

puppet

1628004551490.png

egellings

Major Contributor
Is the "Why not?" answer well thought out, or just a wise crack?

Robin L

Master Contributor

thefsb

What are you after people?
I think different people have different motivations. I'll mention only mine.
Is it the unattainable?
No. What I want is attainable.
Do you just want more stuff?
I want less! I find having stuff burdensome.
Can you be happy with what you’ve achieved/got?
It seems so. Every time I am happy, it is with what I have and where I am and have been.
Just why?
I want a better solution for digital streaming. My amps, dacs and speakers are all more than satisfactory. But the streaming part of it seems to be too hard. Either you have to buy into some closed proprietary "eco" system (dunno what's so ecological about it but that's what they say) or whatever it is doesn't meet my requirements. I don't even need a synchronized multi-room system. Just a single streamer would do.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

entire courses can be taught about Sustainability

but the concept focuses on long-term resource depletion or pollution build-up and how to avoid them

valerianf

Music and movies addiction.
This is a good one.

Top Bottom