• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why?

Robin L

Master Contributor
What are you after people?

Is it the unattainable?

Do you just want more stuff?

Can you be happy with what you’ve achieved/got?

Just why?
The open palm of desire wants everything
It wants everything
It wants soil as soft as summer
And the strength to push like spring

The open palm of desire wants everything

Reactions: ENG

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Luke Lemke

Is it the unattainable?

Just why?
I think you're asking fair questions. However, when you asked "do you want more stuff", I think ASR is not about that, quite the oposite. It's about getting the best bang for your buck in audio equipment using objective measurements.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, we need to consume and fill up landfills with oodles of un-recyclable, toxic, waste. The more the better.

You feeling better via self-righteousness now?
To be fair, the OP lives on an island.

Nevermind all their coffee, and half their food comes from half the World away *we're the problem* for importing our entertainment gizmos.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I like what I have, not looking to add a lot. I consider myself more about the music than the equipment. To the extent that the equipment helps the music sound good, I'm all for it.
I love good cheap stuff that overperforms. I feel that more of that stuff is happening than ever before.
Will these things last as long as the classic amps and receivers from the 70s? Nope. Does it need to? Nope. Not for me.
I find some discussion of psychoacoustics interesting to listen to/read. It does not make me want to spend a lot more, fortunately.
I am impressed by how very many expensive things don't hold up to the basic level of testing reported on here.
I have spent too much money - a pittance that other people routinely drop - on technology that felt at the time like a peak level, or was aesthetically pleasing. All of those decisions were misguided. Many things made today are crappier than old stuff, but tech always marches on.
I have too much audio stuff, eventually I will sell off my stash and get more basic.
Happy to not have golden ears, I am pleasantly surprised by most of my equipment and new music...glad to not be too "fussy."

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like what I have, not looking to add a lot. I consider myself more about the music than the equipment. To the extent that the equipment helps the music sound good, I'm all for it.
Ditto. I'm the same way. I've owned dozens of systems and maybe ~2 dozen speakers that where mostly acquired via sales contests and as spiffs. Now I crave music but I don't crave changing gear. I just want something that sounds decent and I don't want to change gear much other than the PC gear I change out every ~5-7 years. Whatever I buy audio related I take care of and I expect to get 10-15 years out of. I shop for best value for my dollar with reputable brand names and models. ASR has been excellent with the information we can access and use to make decisions. :D

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Is it the unattainable?

Just why?

Listen to music, tinker around, have fun. ITs a hobby. I like to take thinks apart, try out new stuff. Mods.

Is it the unattainable?
It can get quite costly if I don't control myself. Sometimes, I break stuff due to my mods. PArt and parcel of hobby.

Yes, I love trying out new stuff.

Pretty much, yes....esp. modding. Sometimes, my mods do make an audible differen to me so its nice. Sometimes, it doesnt.... oh well.... treat it as lesson learnt.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I’d love to know what you “collectively” are after.

As some already alluded to... there is no collective here.
There is a host that likes to measure audio related stuff.
There are many different folks, all here for their own personal reasons.
Some stayed, some left, some are active, others lurk, some ask questions others don't ...

So much here is about consumption.

Buying more stuff.

That is what the whole western society is about. We are encouraged to consume. Without consumption it would not be easy to make a living and gain a minimum desirable amount of 'comfort'.

Do you need it?

Probably not but it is in human nature to want it.
Freeing yourself from this desire is not an easy thing to do.
One can choose to be a wastrell.

DACs (RME AFI-2 DAC for example) and amps (any Purifi based) are essentially perfect. Anything more is numbers. And extension.

Perfect they are not. Good enough for its purpose they most certainly are in many cases but not all cases.

Do you need it

That depends on what one is trying to achieve.
The answer can be yes and no depending on the goal that is set and budget assigned.
Some goals can be met by simply collecting stuff others throw out right up to it can't be expensive enough.

I have spent a money over the last 45 years or so on this particular hobby (and other hobbies that have come and gone) merely to find that you don't HAVE to spend a fortune to attain a certain amount of 'pleasure' from an audio system.
The problem is to find this out it takes a lot of searching, trying and sometimes over spending or taking financial losses to get there.

There is no single right way and no perfect gear. There is good enough for a budget and no best way to get there.
ASR can be part of the eternal quest to find auditory satisfaction.

Your carrot and stick.

David Harper

I read that Europeans call us here in the U.S. a "consumer culture". I had never heard that before and it really got me thinking. I think they're right.
Every time I'm on the road and I see all the giant SUV's and huge shiny pick up trucks (with nothing in the bed because all it is is a toy) I think about
"consuming" as a lifestyle or a sport. I did it myself until about ten years ago.. Cars, houses, stereo gear, etc. I have now stopped. I haven't bought anything new in some years now. I repair my old stuff and continue using it. I bought a used lawnmower. My jeans are full of holes. No more hi-fi gear. If I had all the money I've thrown away in my life I'd never have to work again. Not to mention the landfill issue. Everything is disposable to many Americans. How many people buy a new I phone every time a new one comes out? I'm not judging others on this since I was guilty of it in the past. I seem to remember reading that Americans consume most of what the rest of the world produces. Next time you see a huge $60K or $80K SUV with the giant alloy wheels think of the amount of steel, glass, rubber, electronics, etc. that went into it. It probably weighs six thousand pounds. And billionaires are flying into space in their own rockets.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Nope! Ya can't visit the nearest star, which is about 4 light years away. It would take 70 to 90 thousand years to get there with our fasted rockets. It would need a really big holding tank for the bathroom.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Outside of the music, audio equipment was a hobby. One that was given a persistent push because I felt I was missing something in my listening enjoyment.

I'm about 20 months in since finding this site...and have gone from audio equipment being a hobby to being a solved problem.

I'm happy with the journey.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
For information exchange. I recently had to replace a 20 year old mic pre and the info on this site was great. I have many years of experience in recording studios as a tech and recording (and a EE degree) and like to share the knowledge ( the snake oil out there bugs me). And Im still learning from other members. Also like to keep up with the new real developments in audio scarce as they are. Its a hobby, and I can't handle the regular "social" media.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... That is what the whole western society is about. We are encouraged to consume. Without consumption it would not be easy to make a living and gain a minimum desirable amount of 'comfort'. ...
... I think about "consuming" as a lifestyle or a sport. I did it myself until about ten years ago.. Cars, houses, stereo gear, etc. I have now stopped. I haven't bought anything new in some years now. I repair my old stuff and continue using it....
I resemble and respect that :)
Modern society doesn't really rely on massive consumption alone. It relies on a balance of consumption and savings, which are the ultimate source of increases in productivity of labor and standard of living. It seems modern economics and politics (different things in theory but become entangled in practice) over-emphasizes consumption and under-emphasizes savings. I believe that if we as a society (e.g. most people) consumed less and saved more, we would be better off in the long term. But this is not to jump to the opposite extreme and say we shouldn't consume at all.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Several people have asked you direct questions, most of which you haven't even attempted to directly answer. If you expect others to give decent answers, then please start with answering yourself as well.

Well, yes, in general people here are much more conscious about what they want and why they want something. And another part of the crowd is here just for fun and learning. You can even have a great time without having to buy anything, but by just looking at the stuff that you don't need to buy at all ;)

As far as Audio forums go, this one is by far the cheapest to attend.. reason enough to be a donor :cool:

But I'm guessing the motives of @Eidie go a bit deeper and also point towards mass consumption of goods vs our environment, etc... But I guess he can best elaborate himself.
“Several people have asked you direct questions, most of which you haven't even attempted to directly answer. If you expect others to give decent answers, then please start with answering yourself as well.”

Absolutely fare enough. I have been hiding, scared of the can of worms. Time is not kind at the moment. I will be courteous and reply directly.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been hiding, scared of the can of worms. Time is not kind at the moment.

To lead with your favorite question: why? You’ve had some interesting answers and comments from quite a few major contributors plus loads of others. Seems like enough material to grok upon and come back with some new salient follow up questions, remarks and comments.

Top Bottom