• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why would/should I pay more?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember when a DAC was just thing inside a CD player and no-one stressed about it or even thought about it?

Making the DAC into an object of fetishism might be hi-fi marketing's finest hour.
Did the same with phonostages, which used to be embedded in receivers. Same playbook, different chain.

Zenek73

Yes. But it's a big advantage for me. Made in USA/EU/Korea/Japan/Taiwan...

gvl

Major Contributor
I do. CD and turntable. Also I don’t like the looks of “half sized” hifi. My preamp has an amazing phono preamp.

We all have our preferences, but elimination of an amplification stage from your chain is a good method to reduce noise and distortion, even if the gains are small.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Remember when a DAC was just thing inside a CD player and no-one stressed about it or even thought about it?

Making the DAC into an object of fetishism might be hi-fi marketing's finest hour.
A DAC? That's just one of the many things inside an AVR. :D

MRC01

Major Contributor
Really, a sub-$200 DAC is a very simple system. There really is not much to go wrong. Here is the board of the Modi 3E:
I have no doubt that my Schiit Modi 3 will outlast several external power supplies; it will last at least 10 years, probably more. That may be a consideration in itself for a sub $200 DAC; does it have an external or internal power supply. For longevity, an internal power supply is preferable. The Topping D30Pro can get you there for US $400; there may be less expensive options.
It may well last 10 years. But if it does ever fail, it's likely to be the connectors or switches. The physical stresses of use, quality of solder connections. Also, rotary encoders (if it has one) become intermittent with age. That's one area you see the difference with more expensive well engineered equipment.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It may well last 10 years. But if it does ever fail, it's likely to be the connectors or switches. The physical stresses of use, quality of solder connections. Also, rotary encoders (if it has one) become intermittent with age. That's one area you see the difference with more expensive well engineered equipment.
Switches do tend to become a source of problems. I have used the one switch on my Schiit DAC twice in the 2+ years I've owned it, so make of that what you will.

I own three Bryston pre-amps. Even with the initial cost premium, all three have had toggle switches replaced under the 20-year warranty. For no charge, of course. Bryston in later years has fully moved to small pill-sized, push-button switches instead of toggles, likely because of long-term reliability issues. None of the switches ever "failed", but they did become sources for noise. Also, the rotary selector switches and volume pots needed to cleaned, too.

MRC01

Major Contributor
And at the opposite end of the spectrum: over 20 years ago I built a passive attenuator preamp. I used the highest quality parts I could find - Goldpoint ladder attenuators with Dale metal film resistors, Cardas RCA connectors, etc. After 15 years of daily use all the connectors, switches were like new condition, perfect function with no measurable or audible noise. I expect it's still working like new, but I don't know as I sold it to a very happy buyer.

Most manufacturers cheap out and save money on those parts, because the inferior cheap ones will last long enough to get the product through the warranty period, typically 30 days to 1 year.

Your Bryston example is good too. Very few companies have such high build quality that they offer a 20 year warranty. Of course, their prices reflect this!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If you want bomb-proof build quality, reliability, warranty and support, there is always Bryston. The Bryston BDA-3 goes for a pricey US $3000, but does not sound better than a Topping. However, my 20-year old Bryston DAC is still kicking without a glitch and is still serviceable by the factory. $3000 is a huge premium over $200 for that type of support and build quality, though.

;)

delta76

Major Contributor
Remember that your system is limited by weakest link. That is, in most case, your speakers. Most speakers would not be able to demonstrate the difference between two dac that are both > 100 SINAD.

Pick a dac that measured well enough, fits your budget, well built and most importantly, from a reputable seller with good return/refund policies.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think I have that DVD player somewhere – it came as a bonus when I ordered an AVR from Crutchfield.
Found that one on the swap pile at the Harvard (MA) town dump. I set it up as the CDP in our NH house when it "came online". When we moved up here full time, I saw no reason to change it out. :)

steve59

Major Contributor
Go to a local shop and ask the pro's to play a few and decide if you can hear any difference.

OP
TSX

TSX

Go to a local shop and ask the pro's to play a few and decide if you can hear any difference.
My hifi dealer (I only use one, because I trust him blindly), told me the other day, that anything more expensive than the RME ADI 2 is money wasted when talking about the DAC function. He’d gladly sell me a very expensive DAC, but he said that I would not be able to hear any difference regardless of price. He’s the kind of hifi dealer that custom solders Mogami cables for his customers for free, when you buy a system or a pair of speakers. He doesn’t sell “cable candy” at all.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Apologies it took us Two pages to say “Use what you have it’s sufficiently good “. :p

Anonamemouse

Yes. And only available in the USA (more or less). Almost impossible to buy in Europe, unfortunately.
The European importer is at walking distance from my house.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
This forum is quite long-winded
But if you’re willing to Don a comfortable Windbreaker, there can be pots of gold in knowledge and wisdom shared. Double edge sword, briar patch, blah, blah, blah…;)

Top Bottom