• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why we do not show both THD and THD+N (SINAD) vs. frequency plots at various frequencies?

pma

Major Contributor
We can see plots of THD+N (SINAD) vs. power at almost all power amplifier reviews. My question is, why we do not see THD (without noise component) vs. power plots as well?

My point is as follows - for many amplifiers, noise component may mask the distortion behaviour. Distortion profile is thus masked and it is difficult to say, from cumulative THD+N, what is happening in the amplifier. As an example, please see the measurements of my A250W class AB amplifier compared to my NC252MP. Both THD vs. power and THD+N vs. power plots are shown. Measuring BW = 22kHz. Load 4 ohm. Both amps have similar power, 200W+.

A250WxNC252MP_THD+Npower.png

A250WxNC252MP_THDpower.png

Please note how the "N" component in the THD+N plots masks and hides distortion profile and behaviour at various signal frequencies. Please also note that the 1kHz measurement gives the best results.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Good question! Old analog analyzers made it difficult to isolate harmonics; you needed a complex (expensive) switched or variable filter bank with high-order filters. Now, DSP and FFTs make it easy so all you should get is noise in the harmonic bins, hopefully negligible. It would also be nice to see just a noise plot with the fundamental ignored. Follow the IEEE or other test standards to choose appropriate frequencies and you don't even need to window the FFT.

pma, big fan of your posts

How are we to interpret the thd+n and thd outside of the data itself, what are the implications on what we hear?

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
pma, big fan of your posts

How are we to interpret the thd+n and thd outside of the data itself, what are the implications on what we hear?

Unfortunately, I do not have any simple answer. Very very high THD+N means audible noise or supply hum/buzz. THD worse than 1% (-40dBr) may or may not become audible. It depends on spectrum components. Personally, I prefer numerous spectrum measurements (HD, IMD, multitones) at many levels with various loads to those cumulative THD+N vs. level or frequency plots. THD+N plots have to be deciphered and then you need individual measurements of spectra. Or to plot the harmonics, not only the cumulative value. An example below:

A250W_distcomponents.png

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, I do not have any simple answer. Very very high THD+N means audible noise or supply hum/buzz. THD worse than 1% (-40dBr) may or may not become audible. It depends on spectrum components. Personally, I prefer numerous spectrum measurements (HD, IMD, multitones) at many levels with various loads to those cumulative THD+N vs. level or frequency plots. THD+N plots have to be deciphered and then you need individual measurements of spectra. Or to plot the harmonics, not only the cumulative value. An example below:

View attachment 252181
Nice graph, much more useful than the 'simple' THD vs. power. I also like the way archimago shows the HD. I would vote for any of those variants to be added as a standard measurement. Ideally both :)

And btw, does it take a lot more time/effort than ASR's standard THD vs power graph?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
My question is, why we do not see THD (without noise component)
ASR's standard THD vs power graph?
As noted in the old school days it was difficult/expensive to separate out the noise. I presume @amirm choose to follow the "old" method for some degree of comparability to others measurements (Stereophile etc who keep the same thing they have been doing a long time for consistency).

SSS

Needless discussion because today a lot of other valid measurements possible. SINAD is from the past but still used for radios and radio telecommunation as far as I know.

Top Bottom