• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why was my thread closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I only glanced over the topic, but I'll go out on a limb and say you measured a bunch of stuff and made some calls about how you were hearing the differences you measured in uncontrolled or even sighted tests. Then people called you out on that and you got stuck in a circular argument.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whilst I agree that (blind) AB testing may be the only way to prove audibility but it may not be an effective way of revealing audibility of all artifacts/issues.
But, it is the best we have. Without it any perceived audibility of miniscule measured differences (and -60dB+ is miniscule) is almost certainly cognitive bias or missing controls.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My stating that I believe I hear a difference between DACs (not between my modern DACs BTW), was just context-setting for explaining my motivation for starting the thread. It had no bearing on the thread itself, or on the results of the null test, which were proving interesting, IMO.

The DAC with the highest SINAD was measuring among worst RMS Differences and absolutely the worst PK Metrics. I thought this was exactly the sort of thing that people interested in Audio Science would want to explore further.
I'm guessing - but I think by the time it was closed, it had reached the running-in-circles stage, as pointed out in one of the posts shortly before closure.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
You will only enter this forum to look at the measurements of Dacs, if you witness the change in the sound of a cable or LPS and write about it on this forum everyone will treat you like an idiot and mock you, but there are so many people on other forums who say that there are so many idiots here...
I couldn't disagree more. Check the patience and sheer chivalry of 46 forum pages on the topic "Your loudspeakers are too small!".

What you feel is entirely subjective. I've came across statements like this one before. It's completely dependent on your reference point. Many people who have the "any sh... flies" mentality will claim that subjectivists forums are more friendly and relaxed, but it only seems that way because you're at home, so to speak, you're a bird of a feather.

I joined a couple of forums like these and was kicked out after just a few (non insulting) posts about how since it is not proven that cables improve SQ, every overpriced cable is a rip off unless the buyer subscribes to this "it only looks good, but doesn't do anything" stance. All other, no matter how much they believed in something (just like homeopathy, for example), are in fact being conned. My thread wasn't only closed, I was kicked.

So, to me, forums like this one are much more relaxed and friendly. No one ever called me or treated me like an idiot.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You will get banned hearing difference in DAC, cable, amp.....etc

Well that's pretty much completely wrong.

I'm guessing - but I think by the time it was closed, it had reached the running-in-circles stage, as pointed out in one of the posts shortly before closure.

Exactly.

Been down that road too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom