• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why the hate for Grado?

aandres_gm

Absolutely dreadful build quality and mediocre sound quality which imo peaks way early in the lineup (SR-80 are imo the best).

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Grado has a reputation as a great headphone company that makes a fantastic product that doesn't make sense to people who don't understand the history of the headphone market.

Suffice it to say, count your blessings and God Bless Grado.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Absolutely dreadful build quality and mediocre sound quality which imo peaks way early in the lineup (SR-80 are imo the best).
I haven't heard the new models.

Have you?

Anxious to see some reliable measurements myself.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Grado has a reputation as a great headphone company that makes a fantastic product that doesn't make sense to people who don't understand the history of the headphone market.

Suffice it to say, count your blessings and God Bless Grado.
Please outline the history.

Svperstar

I got some old behind the ears Grados which were OK, those turned up missing. Then I ordered the SR-60e from massdrop. They sound fine but obviously don't compete with like an Arya.

Not bad for an entry into the hobby for $60, sadly the cable for mine came twisted so bad from the factory that I had to spend a lot of time straightening it and it still curls to this day just a bit.

Chester

Grados are an interesting one. My journey into HiFi began like many others, with headphones. I had some B&W P7s which I was very happy with, but kept seeing reviews of their flagship PS1000e claiming “The best sounding headphone available today”. This plus they looked like something a bit special led to the usual obsession and yearning we have all gone through at times. I eventually received them and I remember the excitement as I placed them on my head, genuinely just moments away from my audio experience being transformed…..and then…..hmmm…..nothing really. They sounded pretty much like my P7s. No out of this world 3D-ness, no sitting in the front row, nothing remarkable about them at all. Of course one doesn’t always want to admit this to themselves, so I persevered, changing other components that were upstream in search of unlocking their capabilities. I then decided to buy some Mr Speakers Aeon Closed to compliment them, which obviously blew them away and that was the the awakening for me in terms of science vs marketing. The only plus side was I got a very healthy trade in value from a dealer. I almost felt guilty for the next owner, knowing what they would likely have paid for them.

Quite a boring story really but I’ve written it now, so there we are.

3125b

Major Contributor
I'm pretty sure they're all the same exept for pads (and decoration with no influence on the sound). Making the cheapest ones kind of ok for the price if you like that style of headphone, but the more expensive ones just ridiculously overpriced.
I tested one of their more expensive models (like 800€, not sure wich one that was exactly) vs. a Sundara - it's no comparison, Sundara is much superior in any way.

Vict0r

The original SR60's were my first "real" headphone and I loved them. Tried many different Grado's after that but none of them stayed in the collection. Too bright and brittle and those weird pads/cups they started using on the SR225's were incredibly uncomfortable for me. The SR60's are awesome for the $50 you can get them for second hand, though. Especially if you just want something that's cheap and plays well with hard rock and heavy metal. EQ a bit off the top and add a slight bass boost and you're set. $50 well spent. :)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure if I should be proud that these are made in the USA.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked a similar question on here a few months ago. I recognise all the issues people have posted here, but still I love the sound. Objectively woeful but for the right style of music they just work. The big salad bowl pad models negate a lot of the comfort issues highlighted.

Should anyone pay top dollar thinking they are getting the best head-fi can offer? Hell no. Should someone give them a try with an open mind. Yes.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Got the 60s in the 1990s based on great reviews. Found them very uncomfortable, no bass, shrieking highs.

WickedInsignia

- Objectively woeful but for the right style of music they just work.

- Should anyone pay top dollar thinking they are getting the best head-fi can offer? Hell no. Should someone give them a try with an open mind. Yes.
This is the right answer.
If something doesn’t measure “correctly” it’s not objectively bad, it just has major deviations. Luckily, the preference target is exactly that: an average of preferences and the most “natural” sound, and outliers exist.

I wouldn’t recommend a Grado to anyone since objectively better headphones exist, but for those with a fleeting interest they should look into the objective measurements, go and try them out themselves and buy if they like it.
The most Harman-accurate headphone costs ~$45k, so everything will be a deviation of some sort to varying degrees.

The public dislike is warranted and should be heeded but if you have 10+ headphones already, a treble-heavy open back is just another flavour on the plate.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please outline the history.

Yes, please do. Can’t wait to read this.

In the meantime here’s what I remember:
Way back when, everybody and their mother was saying that the SR-60 sounded [insert superlative] and an absolute bargain at $60. So I bought a pair and they honestly didn’t sound better than my low end Sennheiser HD535. So I decided to “upgrade” to the SR-80. Same thing. Cheapo Sennheisers outperformed. Years later I bought the PS-1000. They were heavy and didn’t sound that great. And let’s not even talk about their RA1 amp, which was essentially a cmoy amp with the altoids box replaced with a hollowed piece of wood.

And also +1000 on the “they weren’t very comfortable.”

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
No sense apologizing for the frequency profile on these pages. It’s not strictly to form (OK, it ignores all reason entirely). And I have to say, the fit is awful, and actually hurts after a while.
But the sound is good. So people buy.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HE-1. HERE are Crinacle's measurements. As it turns out, it's actually closer to $60k.
AKG K371 and Shure SRH440 are budget contenders for passive target adherence but have a few issues of their own.

The HE-1 curve correlates well (but not perfectly by any means, especially in the bottom 3 and top 1 octaves) with the superimposed target curve on crinnacle’s site but I didn’t see where he specified WHICH Harman OR curve (there are several). Also it isn’t clear that his measurement rig matches the measurement rig that Harman used when deriving its target curve(s). So there’s no way anyone can make the claim that the HE-1 are the “most Harman accurate.”

Top Bottom