• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why practically no hi-end audio companies electronics tests?

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder why there are no tests of well known (by almost every audiophile) hi-end companies stuff on this forum?

Amirm is afraid of the "big boys" revenge or what? This lack of tests creates a picture that there is no need for hi-end, that cheap stuff that measures ok. or good is everything that is needed for music lovers. Everything above is waste of money? There are no audiophiles on the forum that could send / rent sth. for test? Class D apms are "holy grail" here (exception benchmark AHB2). Tube stuff, class A is for idiots only?

It is quite shocking for me that there are no tests of:

Gryphon, dCS Krell, D'Agostino, MSB, MBL, Naim, Mark Levinson (exept 1 old dac), Vitus Audio, Boulder, Esoteric, Metronome Technology, Solution, Simaudio, AVM, Electrocompaniet, Mcintosh, Wadia, CEC, Jeff Rowland (exept 1 cheap class D), T+A, Constellation Audio, Reimyo, Audio Note, Lampizator and others.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are welcome to offer Amir some gear for testing if you feel expensive brands need more representation. The manufacturers, distributors and retailers can offer gear as well. Sometimes retailers, distributors, and manufacturers offer samples, but the vast majority is lent by members.

Most of the really expensive stuff is overpriced poorly performing audio jewelery, but I agree it would be nice to see a few more pieces of current production solid state and tube McIntosh, Accuphase, Luxman, Line Magnetic, etc. Hopefully some pieces will be offered for testing.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I wonder why there are no tests of well known (by almost every audiophile) hi-end companies stuff on this forum?

Amirm is afraid of the "big boys" revenge or what? This lack of tests creates a picture that there is no need for hi-end, that cheap stuff that measures ok. or good is everything that is needed for music lovers. Everything above is waste of money? There are no audiophiles on the forum that could send / rent sth. for test? Class D apms are "holy grail" here (exception benchmark AHB2). Tube stuff, class A is for idiots only?

Gryphon, dCS Krell, D'Agostino, MSB, MBL, Naim, Mark Levinson (exept 1 old dac), Vitus Audio, Boulder, Esoteric, Metronome Technology, Solution, Simaudio, AVM, Electrocompaniet, Mcintosh, Wadia, CEC, Jeff Rowland (exept 1 cheap class D), T+A, Constellation Audio, Reimyo, Audio Note, Lampizator and others.
What a compilation of silliness

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see tests of kilobuck high-end audiophile components that you commonly find at audio shows. Just need the owners to send them in for testing. I think most (if not all) are afraid their big dollar big name audiophile components will rate headless panthers and be shown up by items costing 1/100th of what they paid. Don't be chicken - send in what you got.

Martin

OP
DHT 845

DHT 845

Most of the really expensive stuff is overpriced poorly performing audio jewelery
Without tests it's only hypothesis and generalization.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

It's quite shocking you haven't managed to answer your own questions.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
A high end brand is a manufacturer enable to produce a gear at a decent price.
So they make up their products with goodies and bla bla and of course an expensive price.
The price in all consumer domains stay the apex of the top performance.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Send them in. I am sure @amirm would realy like to thest them. So its all up to you.

Grotti

Forum Donor
Well, what's the purpose of your being here, if the stuff tested is too cheap for you? I sold hifi components for nearly a decade and the only conclusion I can draw: it doesn't get better with astronomical price tags. In fact the best sounding device (pure subjective opinion of course) I ever bought was the RME ADI-2 pro fs BE and I would never have considered it without the review on ASR.

And I really don't bother if a multi kilobucks battleship measures a hair or two better in the inaudible range.

So again: would be nice to see the unicorns measured here, but who cares if not?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is set to be the #1 audio website. If their stuff wasn't crap they would offer it themselves.

Edit: I have no doubt there is some good stuff, particularly Mc and Accuphase. I also have no doubt most of the expensive stuff is technically inferior. If it was all great, some companies would be offering stuff.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Amir measured some stuff at a Audiophile club meeting once. I'd wondered about him having a bring it in for measurements day with such a club. If held at his house, he doesn't even have to do most of the heavy lifting. Plus even speakers could be brought by. Maybe get some stuff done that people don't wish to ship across country or do without for several weeks.

Of course easy for me to find new activity for Amirm. As we can tell, he's not been very busy the past couple weeks. ;)
More like the heat has already got to him and he's gone testing crazy. :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't speak English that much, but I was sure "shocking" had a much stronger meaning than this...
Just buy one of these, then drop-ship it to @amirm .

The End.

Last edited:

gsp1971

Forum Donor

If you own any of the above, please ship them to Amir and he will be more than happy to test.

Are you sure though you are ready for the results?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of measurements of multi kilobuck audio equipment is done by Stereophile. Just look at the data and ignore both the reviewer's rave and the conclusion ...

OP
DHT 845

DHT 845

Are you sure though you are ready for the results?
Yes I am 100% ready! Unfortunately I live in EU, sending to US is logistical problem, not to mention that not everything is multi-voltage 110V/230V capable.

Top Bottom