• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why or why not use balanced connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
Now this, I certainly agree with ;) Would be an interesting one to look into. Do we have the means anyone?

(FWIW, I do own the "over-engineered" RME DAC-2 because I need the balanced outputs for pro use and think the low impedance headphone amp and onboard EQ are useful features, although I'm not sure it would audibly differ from the D10 as a standalone DAC for home use.)

Well, for pro use RME DAC-2 is not "over engineered" product, it is just right, but for home use I would put my money that it wouldn't differ from D10. :)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I happen to dislike RCA connectors, especially on analog devices. Try hot-plugging an RCA interconnect into a powered amp. You'll be lucky if you don't hurt your ears (or speakers) -- the design ensures that you make the hot connection before the ground. XLR connectors are more secure and a better design that guarantees that the ground gets connected first. Whether you use balanced topology or not is a separate question.

mindbomb

If we are talking analog, the balanced usually has better snr and linearity because of the higher voltage.

For digital, maybe the cmr leads to lower jitter than coax? idk. It's not commonly available anyway. I've been wondering how aes/ebu, coaxial, coaxial with pulse transformer, and toslink all compare.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
I happen to dislike RCA connectors, especially on analog devices. Try hot-plugging an RCA interconnect into a powered amp. You'll be lucky if you don't hurt your ears (or speakers) -- the design ensures that you make the hot connection before the ground. XLR connectors are more secure and a better design that guarantees that the ground gets connected first. Whether you use balanced topology or not is a separate question.

Hot-plugging an RCA interconnect into a powered amp? Now that's something I do very often! Trully a rock solid argument..

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This whole debate strikes me as rather obtuse.

We all agree that RCA has inherent practical issues to do with the connectors. We are arguing over whether these issues are above or below the threshold of acceptability in a normal home use context.

Surely that is 100% a matter of personal preference, not to mention an utterly pointless debate to be having.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's move on to the important topic of trying to organise a well-implemented DBT between the D10 and an RME/Oppo/DAC1 :)

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
We all agree that RCA has inherent practical issues to do with the connectors. We are arguing over whether these issues are above or below the threshold of acceptability in a normal home use context.

Surely that is 100% a matter of personal preference, not to mention an utterly pointless debate to be having.

RCA has no issues in normal home usage. Home user's are not complaining on them and industry has no plans to replace them.

If you want to use XLR or space tech connectors in your home that surely is a matter of your personal preference, but it doesn't allow you to make claims about RCA for which you offered no proof at all except claiming they wouldn't do well in a professional usage, which is hardly a point as they were engineered and manufactured for home usage.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I'm sure you do but that is hardly a home usage scenario.
This is something I have use for many times. I try out different dacs. I always turn my amps off. But I didn't realize I don't have to with XLR connections. This does make it conveneiAt my friends place we do this almost every time I visit. Another issue I've had many times is that RCA cables are too tight. I have never had that issue with XLR connections.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
I'm doing this at home. Look, I could also light my cigars with a firecracker. But me personally, I prefer a lighter.

Following your logic I recommend you to use a flamethrower to light your cigars. Flamethrower is a true proffesional lightning device made to much higher specs than lighter, just like XLR.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
This is something I have use for many times. I try out different dacs. I always turn my amps off. But I didn't realize I don't have to with XLR connections. At my friends place we do this almost every time I visit. Another issue I've had many times is that RCA cables are too tight. I have never had that issue with XLR connections.

I'm sure you do, but that still doesn't make it a typical home usage scenario.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I'm sure you do, but that still doesn't make it a typical home usage scenario.
Uh I use it at home, typically? :D And so does my friend. Also I forgot to mention so does my other friend! Oh and my fourth audio buddy also does, but less often.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm sure you do but that is hardly a home usage scenario.
It is when your a Audiophile and spend your life in a state of perpetual anxiety, constantly swapping out cables and ‘listening’ to diffrent connectors ..., boxes etc etc etc

@Krunok what are these ‘space’ cables/connectors you mention ? Are they NASA certified, if so where can I buy them .....

garbulky

Major Contributor
Lies , no Audiophile has more than one friend ..
;)
who-was-your-imaginary-friend-2-17618-1435690320-2_dblbig.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom