• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why not more USB-3+ power for HP amp section?

OP
L5730

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ah, yes, well I hadn't considered portable dongles as a good reason against pulling power.
I suppose for desktop use a locally available mains power supply for whatever PSU is an acceptable solution - so why bother thinking any further?
On-the-move one is limited by available battery power from said source device (eg. phone), and one can't magic electrons from somewhere else, except for DAC/HPA + it's own battery which already exist.

I think it's been argued well enough that USB 2.0 spec. is suitable for multiple channel I/O audio use in terms of data capacity.

Thanks for the thoughts on this topic.
I suppose the answers are fairly simple, see the first paragraph of this post. :)

Trell

Major Contributor
Surely he ment on desktop class DAC's and amps with independent not USB power supply's. USB Audio and USB standard in generally where used by me in general to explain why it is as it is (USB 2.0 and USB Audio 2.0 disregarding what cable you use).
And then we’re back to usage of USB 3 as power source for DAC/HP amp. USB 3.0 standard supports ca 4.5 W, not enough really, while for newer updates much more power can be given. But only supporting newer updates that has higher power limits the number of possible source devices, so external power is needed as well unless the manufacturer won’t sell so many devices or/and are very expensive.

I don’t think this will be adopted widely for quite some time yet.

Top Bottom