• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

why Nilai500 when cheaper NCx500 out performs it?.

geek101

Forum Donor
why bother with Nilai500 when NCx500 implementations are cheaper and put more output 500 vs 700 @ 4ohm?. Why is Nilai500 more expensive?.

Rob Fens

I did not listen to any of them, but from what i read it says that the NCx is a further development of the NC, but the Nilai is the next step.
Consider Hypex also supplies Mola Mola, so they have experience to supply SOTA quality, and i guess Nilai is based on this experience.
Alpha audio made a Youtube film about a comparison between Nelson Pass/ Nilai and Purifi, for me (not only me) Nilai was the clear winner.
I guess NCx is 100 p. chann. cheaper than Nilai, but i would definately purchase Nilai. I am using Ucd since 2012 and recently ordered Nilai.

Best regards,
Rob.

yodog

I did not listen to any of them, but from what i read it says that the NCx is a further development of the NC, but the Nilai is the next step.
Consider Hypex also supplies Mola Mola, so they have experience to supply SOTA quality, and i guess Nilai is based on this experience.
Alpha audio made a Youtube film about a comparison between Nelson Pass/ Nilai and Purifi, for me (not only me) Nilai was the clear winner.
I guess NCx is 100 p. chann. cheaper than Nilai, but i would definately purchase Nilai. I am using Ucd since 2012 and recently ordered Nilai.

Best regards,
Rob.

How do you place an order for nilai when it’s sold out?

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

At this point, the nilai is vaporware if trying to buy individual modules and has been for a year or more. I've been waiting, like everyone else, and the release dates keep getting pushed back. The NCx500 will be out soon and a completely assembled amp will probably be cheaper than building your own nilai500 amp. At this point, I have given up on waiting for the nilai and will buy several 3 channel NCx amps from an assembler.

jae

Major Contributor
You can still order it (the kit at least), there is just a long waiting time. There are some random vendors that have kits for sale if you look hard enough.
why bother with Nilai500 when NCx500 implementations are cheaper and put more output 500 vs 700 @ 4ohm?. Why is Nilai500 more expensive?.
Ncorex is not meant to be sold to end customers, it is intended as an OEM product only (with more product lines coming out). You may be able to find someone selling those modules, but they are really intended for builders/manufacturers to integrate into products. That is also why they are cheaper, because of volume sales to make manufacturers profit, also, manufacturer "servicing" of them will generally just involve a simple module swap rather than direct repair. Whereas Nilai is intended for hobbists/DIYers, it will be purchasable directly, it performs a little better in some metrics, uses an alternative method of feedback, and also higher quality components which could help with longevity I suppose. Regulation/buffer are all discrete so in theory is it way more user-serviceable and easier to fix if something goes wrong years from now. Compare the spec sheets for more intimate details.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
NCx500OEM is also unavailable right now but we can have ideas of prices on Nord's website with the different configurations.

Between NCoreX and Nilai, indeed they are VERY close almost enough not to bother. The NCx500OEM is a lot more powerful than Nilai500DIY, but one could argue how much is really needed when going from 500W to 700W into 4 ohms. Tough choice.

I think price is most important here imo. Nord's mono amp is 750 usd while the Nilai500 mono amp is 875 usd each.

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Reactions: ENG

jae

Major Contributor
NCx500OEM is also unavailable right now but we can have ideas of prices on Nord's website with the different configurations.

Between NCoreX and Nilai, indeed they are VERY close almost enough not to bother, but the NCx500OEM is a lot more powerful than Nilai500DIY, but one could argue how much is needed going from 500W to 700W into 4 ohms anyway. Tough choice. I think price is most important here imo.
I agree, for those that have access to both it will mostly come down to price. Nilai has less noise, marginally better distortion figures through more of its operational range and maybe technically flatter FR (ncorex seems to have a negligible 0.25 dB rolloff from 10khz), Other than some design elements and the discrete components on Nilai there is not much different to a typical end customer.

maty

Major Contributor
The logical thing would be to do a test between the two and not trust everything in the numbers. It is clear to me that Hypex Nilai500DIY is my favorite option now for a main audio system and not Purifi, after listening to Alpha's test.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Will makers such as Buckeye be using the new Hypex module? I am interested in purchasing a Hypex amp later this year, and am interested in anything that would improve longevity/reliability etc over previous modules...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Will makers such as Buckeye be using the new Hypex module? I am interested in purchasing a Hypex amp later this year, and am interested in anything that would improve longevity/reliability etc over previous modules...
Yes, it is in Buckeye's plans.

OP
geek101

geek101

Forum Donor
I do like the idea of more power at marginally lower for few things. I am not good with DIY but DIY should be cheaper I would think but this does not compute for me.

Mario Soldier

I hear no difference beetwenn the Nilai and the NCx500 .But the NCx 500 has more Power and i think that is better.

Bur have you see the underside of the Nilai Module? It is polished like a mirror (never seen before).I think it is a premium Modul.Or it should look like.

What i find not so good you cant run two NIlais withan SMPS1200 you have to usethe PS500(witth 600, 800 Watt short Term) so running two Nilais BTL like the NC400 with full Power or you have to use two expensive Power Supplies, Hypex says Nilai BTL with one PS500 is 800 Watt and with two Power supplies it is 1000.

I dont think i will run two Nilai BTl with one Power supply (the costs are 1160 Euro for 800 short Term Watt .

An NCx500 with nearly 700 Watt (at realy 4 Ohm) i can have for 900 Euro assembled.

So for Power with high impedance speakers an Nilai BTL projekt can be very expensive.
And aganin i cant hear any diference beetwenn NCx500 and the NIlai. The only thing Nilai has 5 years warranty.

Payed the same For an Nilai Module with an Power suplly as for an assembled NCx500...... but i can try to build a real class 2 device.

Attachments

• DSC04290.JPG
    DSC04290.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Top Bottom