• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why more people are getting myopia

fas42

Major Contributor
Okay, Bob, I'll get the ball rolling - you just mentioned eyesight issues, and I literally just walked away from a TV repeat of a local science show, where it mentioned massive increases in short sightedness, specifically in China. Turns out that it's not about staring at screens, and heavy duty studying, but lack of exposure to strong light, outdoors. If one sits in relatively dim light nearly all the time when young - the cottonwooled kids of today, kept away from that nasty, big bad world of sharp sticks, etc, in their bedrooms - then problems start, the eye may not develop normal flexibility.

So, it's not outdoors for exercise, but for the eyes to "learn" to adjust to intense light - for a lifetime of benefit ...

Opus111

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Its fairly rare here to see secondary school youth who don't wear glasses.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
This afternoon I was talking to my doc optometrist. I have myopia since a young age, and there is a long history, but I won't get there.
Anyway six hours ago or so I learned for the first time in my life that I'm developing a cataract. Ok, not the end of the world, but still.
She mentioned ultraviolet light (outside from the sun) and that I should wear sunglasses and a hat, I don't when I'm on my laptop, and so I know pretty sure that it is where it must have started, because I do that for years. There are other reasons too, but a screen from your PC or laptop is not helpful, and the light around has to be bright enough, when inside.

Food; vegetarians are in better health about cataracts by 40% over meat eaters...but the science is not absolute.
Smokers; no no no.

If I'm going to criticize the cinematography in movies, I'd like to have a good set of eyes. Of course I wear my glasses, but not with a cataract showing slowly...it is kind of a downer a little.
For seeing close I'm all good, no need to wear glasses when on the Internet and read and write and draw.

The other day, the judge's wife asked me what's more important, our ears or our eyes. Of course I replied the eyes, because all the planet's beauty gave me the best impacting emotions...the flight of an eagle...the jump of a killer whale...etc.
Walk in the forest blind, or walk in the forest deaf; which one you prefer?
My artist musician and painter friend agreed with me, but not the judge's wife.

When polling people on audio/video forums, many prefer the audio first...like the bass, and the dialog; others 50/50, and very few go with the picture first (I'm in that category). We do what we like and like what we do, I do images first sounds after. I'm from the cinema silence...Charlie Chaplin.
I have the aptitude to create music in my brain with beautiful moving pictures...and women.
When listening to music, classical for example, I am struggling to see beautiful women surrounding me in the jungle. :)
It's what I'm made of...Mom & Dad...and that wasn't chocolate taste.

I'm very much into music, just more into pictures. Bass that can shake my axe is cool, picture that can bring my wildest dreams into imagination vibrates much more than my axe and bones; it vibrates my brain and soul.

So, Video needs to be part of an audio forum because live music is also a live show of lights and people you see playing the music, and nothing, no music reproduction alone can equal it in my book of visual and auditory arts.
We always have discussions about that, and many stereo audiophiles, like I too, don't need pictures...all very good.
But to me, hi-res audio (multichannel) with visuals is much more impacting emotionally. I can give you many examples but I know that we all can.
...Same with stereo headphones people. ...But the flip side of that coin is the 3D pic/multichannel sound special goggles with direct interaction...virtual world.

Ok, I think I explained well where I'm coming from, and the reason why it's important to advance from all our senses; Hearing, Seeing, ...and of course the others; Smelling, Tasting and Touching. ...Smelling the flowers, tasting the good food and wine, and touching the gentle curves of a woman's velvet skin.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Okay, Bob, I'll get the ball rolling - you just mentioned eyesight issues, and I literally just walked away from a TV repeat of a local science show, where it mentioned massive increases in short sightedness, specifically in China. Turns out that it's not about staring at screens, and heavy duty studying, but lack of exposure to strong light, outdoors.

China? Myopia? Sunlight?

Smog-hit-Chinese-cities--009.jpg

NorthSky

Major Contributor
That's pretty bad ↑

* Myopia was found in the first ever man to inhabit Earth, Adam his name was I think. But he couldn't wear prescription glasses back then, so he was pissed and gave an apple with a worm inside to Eve. The rest is history. :D

My Blu-ray laser lens is fuggy, it needs to be cleaned up with isopropyl alcohol. I did that, but it did not work, can't still read the Blu-ray discs, but no problem with DVDs and CDs. It needs an operation; most likely a resetting of the lens aperture/focus.
With humans it's different, you have to remove the eye lens and clean the inside; there are no screws to adjust the focus or remove the inside lens residues.

A camera is a complex machine, with lenses and mirrors. A human eye is directly related to the brain. ...An ear canal too.
What we see, what we hear is what partly makes us who we are. We need to take care of our eyes and ears; the better sets we have and the better things we see and hear the better persons we are. Yes, no? :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

NorthSky

Major Contributor
You mean like from our smartphones, laptops, tablets? ...A pinhole is like a mic on our laptops too.
Yeah, those can fail easily. My laptop's camera (only a year old) is caput; because the glue that holds the screen to the contour border edges has melt and it has now a visible space between. I'm always outside and the temperature sometimes is over 35° Celsius, approaching 40° in the summer.
When they designed laptops (Sony VAIO) their technical engineers/designers they don't test their products for circumstances like that.
They most likely used inside facilities with controlled room temperatures.

Furthermore, some 4K Sony Edge Lit TVs are designed with bend tops (defects), blurred pictures, 3D crosstalk, big uniformity issues.
I said designed like that because Sony said so; it's normal according to them!
Did you read this thread Ray → http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...ad-if-your-intested-sony-tv.html#post43611658

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... My Blu-ray laser lens is fuggy, it needs to be cleaned up with isopropyl alcohol. I did that, but it did not work, can't still read the Blu-ray discs, but no problem with DVDs and CDs. It needs an operation; most likely a resetting of the lens aperture/focus. ...

Probably the laser itself has deteriorated. The players use different laser diodes for CD, DVD and BluRay.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Probably the laser itself has deteriorated. The players use different laser diodes for CD, DVD and BluRay.

Yes, that particular BR player has only seen activity for less than a year; so I doubt that the laser is defective.
There are usually three small screws (potentiometers) to adjust 1. CD 2. DVD. 3. Blu-ray laser focus.
In that order from left to right...I think...I'm not 100% sure...I'd like to learn more about; so that I can restore life to it and put it back in action.

I searched extensively for such explanatory videos, and technical readings with pictures and details...but I wasn't too lucky so far.
I do have couple videos somewhere; less than ideal because the focus is quite bad, and the people aren't expert...just normal 'diyourselfers'.
But one video is better because it uses precise instrumentation, except that most people don't have that tool. I'll try to relocate them ....

I also started a thread few days ago @ another audio forum (AVS), and asking assistance to my request on which exact pot to adjust, which way, how far, etc.
No reply yet. But I'm not done; there are more technical audio/video forums out there, and I still have to post my questions over @ diyaudio.
When technical questions need to be answered on audio and video matters, diyaudio has helped me a great deal before...and I could do the repair myself.

Thx Don and Ray for your replies. ...I need a restored ray...of light (laser focus). ;)

Top Bottom