• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why isn't there a product in the genre of NAD C658, Mini DSP SHD, Cambridge CXN that isn't a POS?

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Honestly I may have read about every post here regarding these offerings (and others) with the intention of updating my system and man is it depressing.

I posted this here before but it's as if these products come here to die.

MAB

Major Contributor
I have three MiniDSP products including an SHD, I really like all three. The have good to great performance. I can't speak to the reliability, I've had good experiences so far but I am just three data points. I do like the functionality. Can get a UMIK and do measurements, but you can do that all sorts of ways... Use Dirac if that's your thing. You can easily make active speakers from them. Integrate a sub. I'm pretty happy.

edit: I actually have two MiniDSP microphones, so really have five of their gear... Still, I really can't speak to anything expect for the performance, which I am happy with.

Last edited:
OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Those are three very different components and none are a POS. What exact functionality are you looking for?
The C658 has the feature set I desire, and more. The CXN lacks Dirac and the SHD could be more lay person friendly. However after reading the threads here on these problems all of them are fraught with pitfalls.

I'm looking for a unit to be the quarterback of my 2.1, something that measures well and is easy to integrate my TV and had room correction. My budget is $2k or less.

In that context I see these product as similar.

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Those are three very different components and none are a POS. What exact functionality are you looking for?
Also, and I'm not trying to argue for arguments sake but I keep asking myself why you came to the conclusion above? Have you read the review threads in their entirety? Do you have personal experience with the gear?

Cheers

donbernhardo

The C658 has the feature set I desire, and more.
What is the FUD you read about the C658 that scares you away? I have my C658 since 2019 with a C298 driving a pair of Focal Electra 1038 BEII and I can absolutely recommend the unit. I use it to stream with TIDAL connect and local files from my NAS. The BlueOS app is easy to use. I use the builtin phono preamp for my record player and a fixed-volume analog input coming from my AV-Receiver pre-outs for 5.1 home cinema use.
Dirac is also great although lately I toggle it off more often than not.

I can really recommend the C658 for it's price point and feature set.

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
What is the FUD you read about the C658 that scares you away? I have my C658 since 2019 with a C298 driving a pair of Focal Electra 1038 BEII and I can absolutely recommend the unit. I use it to stream with TIDAL connect and local files from my NAS. The BlueOS app is easy to use. I use the builtin phono preamp for my record player and a fixed-volume analog input coming from my AV-Receiver pre-outs for 5.1 home cinema use.
Dirac is also great although lately I toggle it off more often than not.

I can really recommend the C658 for it's price point and feature set.
Thanks for the input. I’m glad it’s working out for you. Most of my worry comes from reading reviews, here and on other forums Like AVS. To start it’s not recommended on measurement and there seems to be a lot of other problems with subwoofer signal strength, level matching and integration. Perhaps that’s a factor in you turning the Dirac off more than often?

Maybe you don’t want to read the thread, I’n not trying to breed discontent, but it’s all there if you are curious as to why I’m cautious about purchasing one.

donbernhardo

@Rufus T. Firefly
Yes I did read all the threads (back then before my purchase) and was also a little skeptical with all the complaints people had. All I am saying is that you should not disregard a product just because some lab measurement shows a certain performance metric subpar with other options. For instance in a blind test at home with my system I could never "hear" the difference between a $15 generic garbage DAC, Topping D50s, MiniDSP DRC, Yamaha A-S701 (integrated TI Dac) or the NAD C658. And I really tried hard :)
Same goes with different Class-D and Class-AB amps i blind tested. I could only tell when my 30Watt Class-A Tube Amp (845 Tube) was playing since it could not deliver the current for deep/loud bass in the low impedance area of my speakers.

I"m not saying that other people can't make out and maybe my hearing is just bad but in the end only my own perception matters. I like to encourage people to try the gear out for them self and make a educated decision to buy or not. For every product you will find someone one the internet that hates it ;)

As far as Dirac goes It performs equaly well on the C658 as it does with my MiniDSP DRC: Lately I am just a sucker for that 60Hz room mode (+15db hump) in my listening position. If I correct that to the "Harman research +10db low boost" target curve in Dirac I loose that super deep punch. Compared to food it is like putting super spicy hot sauce into my food ;) I have to have fun when I listen to my music regardless of what the artists or mixing engineers original intend was!

I cannot comment on the SubOut since I am not using that feature.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm looking for a unit to be the quarterback of my 2.1, something that measures well and is easy to integrate my TV and had room correction. My budget is $2k or less.
Why doesn’t a Minidsp 2x4 Dirac flex (as one example) match that exactly? Direct drive a power amp and sub(s)..perfection?

verendus

Thanks for the input. I’m glad it’s working out for you. Most of my worry comes from reading reviews, here and on other forums Like AVS. To start it’s not recommended on measurement and there seems to be a lot of other problems with subwoofer signal strength, level matching and integration. Perhaps that’s a factor in you turning the Dirac off more than often?

Maybe you don’t want to read the thread, I’n not trying to breed discontent, but it’s all there if you are curious as to why I’m cautious about purchasing one.
I read those reviews page by page before purchasing mine. I too run it with C298. I am not sure if it's the synergy between the amp and the dac, but they sound really good and many of the early firmware issues have been all fixed. The only thing I haven't checked is the sub pre-out level, but I use high-level speaker input on my REL. I am not sure if there is anything under $3K that does what C658 offer.

RichM

I read those reviews page by page before purchasing mine. I too run it with C298. I am not sure if it's the synergy between the amp and the dac, but they sound really good and many of the early firmware issues have been all fixed. The only thing I haven't checked is the sub pre-out level, but I use high-level speaker input on my REL. I am not sure if there is anything under $3K that does what C658 offer.
Are you using the speaker outs on the 298 to drive the rel?

verendus

Are you using the speaker outs on the 298 to drive the rel?
Yes. That is what REL calls high-level speaker input. In this scenario, you set it up as a full-range speaker with no internal crossover. You use the back panel control to manually set the volume and the crossover. Trying both internal crossover and speaker level output, I much prefer the sound of the latter. Much more integrated and textured.

Reed

I have a C658 and have had none of the issues some have reported. I run Dirac and use a single Rel sub. No sub level issues. This is driving a pair of Genelecs BTW. My only complaint is with Bluesound and how it handles Airplay. If you’re listening to a source other than Airplay and then switch to Airplay, the volume will be much louder. Bluesound support blames Apple and thinks they need to fix on their end. Hilarious since other AV manufacturers don’t seem to have have this issue. Dirac is the must-have feature for me. It just works and solves my small room issues.

RichM

Yes. That is what REL calls high-level speaker input. In this scenario, you set it up as a full-range speaker with no internal crossover. You use the back panel control to manually set the volume and the crossover. Trying both internal crossover and speaker level output, I much prefer the sound of the latter. Much more integrated and textured.
I understand how this setup works and typically that’s how I run my sub too. However, with the topology of the C298 you can’t share a common ground on the high level outputs. I would think with your Rel you’re doing that? That’s why Nad uses the blue binding posts instead of the typical black ones. Just don’t want you to have any issues running it this way!

verendus

Ah, i misunderstood your question. Yes, you have to float the ground for Rel high-level output connection. I had a hum initially but after connecting the ground wire on the chassis' ground screw, the sub is dead quiet.

RichM

Ah, i misunderstood your question. Yes, you have to float the ground for Rel high-level output connection. I had a hum initially but after connecting the ground wire on the chassis' ground screw, the sub is dead quiet.
Glad you were able to find a workaround. My Yamaha AS1100 also uses a floating ground on the output creating issues hooking up high level sub Input.

RichM

Glad you were able to find a workaround. My Yamaha AS1100 also uses a floating ground on the output creating issues hooking up high level sub Input.
Are you still happy with the C658? I’m thinking about getting one, logical pairing with the C298.

Sparkles

Honestly I may have read about every post here regarding these offerings (and others) with the intention of updating my system and man is it depressing.

I posted this here before but it's as if these products come here to die.
Yes it's a compromise in every direction. I had the c658 combined with c298 and was happy until reading reviews of the c658. How much difference can a DAC make after all? Then I though breaking up the streamer, DAC, and preamp might provide future flexibility. I loved the BluOS multi room streaming and the Dirac correction but I only have TV, NAS, and streaming inputs.

So I swapped out the c658 for Bluesound Node and MiniDSP Flex. No extra DAC or preamp is required. Sound is noticeably better and I'm enjoying tinkering with REW.

I miss the cohesiveness of the c658 - all-in-one with room correction, sub integration, potential for more source components, aesthetics from an industrial design pov. However, no regrets overall.

Top Bottom